The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SamuelSingleton
Does anyone who studies at, or hopes to study at the university of Bristol know whether or not you can change your Accomodation preferences after submitting it? think I may have rushed my 3 choices and I would wanna change my 2nd preference but not sure how I would go about it, I can't re apply

Hi Samuel

If you're worried you'll end up somewhere you don't want to be you can always apply for private halls, you can choose where you live and have a look around before making a decision! Take a look at our Water Lane Apartments property, you might see something you like!

http://www.collegiate-ac.com/uk-student-accommodation/bristol/water-lane-apartments

Have a great day :smile:

Callum
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Can anyone help me gather more of an idea of Goldney Hall and Colston St. in regards to how sociable they are as residences? Trying to choose between the two for my first preference.

Thanks.
Thinking of applying to
1)Manor/ Goldney Hall
2)University hall
3) Culver/ Unite

in that order. Any opinions on any of the halls? I want to be somewhere sociable but not full of people who want to go out every night of the week

Also, still not sure about being in Stoke Bishop but none of the other preferences for second choice really appealed to me. Is it quite annoying to get into university for 9ams? And how often to buses usually come?
I'm going to Bristol this September for my Post Grad, and my accomodation is at Chantry Court. Is there anyone else who's going to be staying at Chantry Court this year?
Just to confirm, even though it says on the website, accommodation isn't on first come first served is it?
Original post by donutellme
Just to confirm, even though it says on the website, accommodation isn't on first come first served is it?

Apparently not! As long as you have applied by the end of July :-)

Original post by arty
Apparently not! As long as you have applied by the end of July :-)

You can still apply after that and be guaranteed accommodation too - just after the end of July, you don't get full range of accommodation choices. I think the absolute deadline to get accommodation guaranteed is the end of august.
Hi just wondering if anyone could just list some of the most sociable halls in either the City centre or Stoke Bishop? I'm not really that fussed about other things as long as it's just sociable and near most things. Thank you
Just to check. Were all residences available as first preference at the start, then got fewer and fewer as they were booked? Or were they set from the start?
Original post by prabhleenghai
Thinking of applying to
1)Manor/ Goldney Hall
2)University hall
3) Culver/ Unite

in that order. Any opinions on any of the halls? I want to be somewhere sociable but not full of people who want to go out every night of the week

Also, still not sure about being in Stoke Bishop but none of the other preferences for second choice really appealed to me. Is it quite annoying to get into university for 9ams? And how often to buses usually come?

Manor, Goldney and UH are all really sociable, it seems that they are full of just genuinely nice people who have a lot of fun. I've heard mixed reviews from Culver and Unite, but it sounds like Culver house is quite quiet, whereas Unite is pretty sociable. I was in Stoke Bishop last year and it's really not much of an issue getting to and from uni, I walked a lot of the time, and during the day the buses are pretty frequent - every 10/15 minutes, and they run every half hour at night until 4.15 am. I'd also say that it was really nice being in Stoke Bishop because it has so many of the halls so close together so it's always buzzing and really sociable - you'd probably end up meeting people from the other halls more than in city centre just from getting the bus with them for nights out!
Original post by Oaahhloaka
Hi just wondering if anyone could just list some of the most sociable halls in either the City centre or Stoke Bishop? I'm not really that fussed about other things as long as it's just sociable and near most things. Thank you

The most sociable city centre halls seem to be riverside - Waverley and Favell, everyone I know who's lived there loved it. In Clifton, Goldney and Manor are really friendly. In Stoke Bishop pretty much all of the halls are sociable, but Hiatt Baker self-catered is probably the most. It's also not much of an issue to get anywhere in SB because the busses are so frequent and mean you'll get to meet a lot of people on the journeys to clubs etc.
Just to check. Were all residences available as first preference at the start, then got fewer and fewer as they were booked? Or were they set from the start?

Some residencies are only available as a first preference because they always over subscribe
Some only available as first two preferences
some available for all three (reason why you only get limited choice as third preference) :smile:
Anyone applied for orchard heights?
Original post by harry218
Hey so I have no idea what accommodation to apply for.
Most universities just have an undergraduate halls of residence that you apply to and it allocates you a random hall.

However as Bristol is a city uni with no actual campus ? I guess it's different and you have to choose a flat specifically?

What's the best or a good hall to apply to? I'm really social, like to go out drinking, sporty, also preferably one close to the actual university!:smile: (I'm doing a social science) not sure what else to say really? Any advice really!:smile:

Hey Harry, Bristol's pretty nice in that most of the uni buildings and a lot of halls are really close together like a campus, but it's still integrated into the city. If you're looking to be close to uni then the clifton accommodations are probably your best bet. Goldney and Manor are known for being really sociable, and are close to a lot of the clubs that people go to. However, Stoke Bishop has a really great vibe cause there are so many people living so close together. This means there are a lot of parties that you're bound to know about and you get to know a lot of people. The distance isn't much of an issue because the busses are so frequent, and it is right next to the downs which (depending on which sports you like) is where you are likely to be playing. The other option is city centre/riverside. These are close to some of the other clubs, and halls like Favell and Waverley seem to have a great time. I wouldn't worry too much about where you end up though because there will be sociable people wherever you go and you'll have a great time no matter what hall you're in :smile:
Original post by pandaexpress
To anyone who is currently at Bristol: Did you find that your accommodation essay really helped you find people with similar interests? Or is it just sort of... random?

I submitted mine already but I didn't know what to put so I'm afraid mine was too general and they wouldn't know where to sort me :s-smilie:

I don't think they even bothered reading mine... I said I was really sociable and don't mind noise and they put me next to someone who I only saw come out his room when he was asking me to be quiet haha, I wouldn't really worry about where you're placed as you're bound to find like-minded people near you and it didn't really make much difference as to the type of people I became friends with!
Hi, I really need someones help. I applied for my accommodation at bristol but they are all in the max band of £6,400 but my student finance has been changed and basically now I'm getting almost £2000 less than I was. My parents cant afford to pay the difference and neither can I but I'll need to change my accommodation choices somehow, what should I do? I'm only getting £4,500 now so sort of stuck
Original post by katie2828
Hi, I really need someones help. I applied for my accommodation at bristol but they are all in the max band of £6,400 but my student finance has been changed and basically now I'm getting almost £2000 less than I was. My parents cant afford to pay the difference and neither can I but I'll need to change my accommodation choices somehow, what should I do? I'm only getting £4,500 now so sort of stuck

Email the uni asap, they should let you change your choices. I think the deadline is tomorrow

All residences should be available as first preference atm, tomorrow they remove any that are oversubscribed as chances of getting accepted would be low. Some however aren't available as 2nd/3rd choices if they are already popular.
I'm tempted by The Courtrooms, the rooms look really nice...however since it is a new residence, will it be really quiet and unpopular?
Does anyone know which residences have now been removed?

Latest

Trending

Trending