The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1100
Don't worry too much, Bristol's accommodation is very good on the whole. Badock, UH and HB are the worst halls, but even they're better than a lot of student accommodation I've seen - particularly the ones in London.
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Reply 1101
kvithani
i was just wondering if anyone found anything out about this...

Is there any special reason you want to be en-suite??

If not - the rooms are a little better, but the whole set-up is pretty lame, and it's pretty quiet over there...

The blocks are much better, and a lot more sociable.
Reply 1102
kvithani - no i didn't end up finding anything out about it, i just decided i'm not really that fussed about en-suite anyway, so i'm not going to tick the box.
Reply 1103
yeah someone else told me that the en-suite blocks are quieter...is it just because they are slightly separate from the other blocks?

there's not really a special reason for wanting en-suite...it would just be nice to have the added luxury! :biggrin:

but i wouldn't want to reduce my chances of getting in because i ticked the box...

hmmm maybe en-suite isn't that important after all...but if i don't tick the box, there's totally nil chance of me getting an en-suite!

ok i'l shut-up now! :p:
Reply 1104
From people I know personally, they seem to have nothing but praise for it. What are your opinions of it? I am considering choosing it as first, as I'm too lazy to cook. Please be objective. Thanks.
Reply 1105
just look for everything rui's said (a lot) about it in the bristol accommodation info thread.
he lives there if I am not mistaken.
Reply 1106
Yeah I've said loads elsewhere, but to summareize: I don't like it. It's not awful, you'd be fine here. But there's absolutely no reason for anyone to choose it over the other four catered halls. It can't boast anything better than any of the other halls. Simple as.
Reply 1107
So in hindsight, Rui, where would you have wanted to go?
Was about to say, Rui's the best person to ask for Badock questions :smile:

From what I've heard from friends there, though, the social atmosphere is great - all my music friends there are moving in with mates from their corridoors rather than people on their course. Proves that you're in with a good group of people.

Francois, the warden, is lovely too, really friendly when I've met her in the french department.

The main complaint from my mates was the standard of the food - apparently it's a bit hit and miss, and can be downright inedible at times...
Reply 1109
Ises
So in hindsight, Rui, where would you have wanted to go?

1st Hiatt Baker
2nd Wills

Although obviously if you put HB as first-choice, you get in, so need for second, and Wills is oversubscribed anyway...what I'm saying is, go for them.

It depends what you want. Atmosphere, you go to HB. Pretty buildings and formal etc, you go to Wills. Location, you go to CHH. Rahs, you go to Churchill. I can't say a particular reason why anyone would put Badock as first choice.

Badock's food is just terrible. For example, I've seen the menu tonight, it's not good (all the food is repeated on a rough 14-day cycle), so I've bought my own food for tonight. Wouldn't do it normally, but saved money from not going out coz of exams...

That said, if you do end up here, you'll be fine, it's a nice place, the rooms are pretty big, decent atmosphere. And Franciose does seem nice, but I've actually never seen her since Freshers' Week, serious.

I swear I'm gonna cause a massive reduction for Badock applications...

There's one other person from Badock on TSR (not sure he posts any more) and he'd be well harsher than me.

HB all the way.
Reply 1110
I am looking for a small house with a min. of 3 bedrooms to live in with my family alone (3 adults and 2 children) starting from oct'07
i also want to be an a safe area and close to the university of bristol

please guide me

appreciate ur help very very much
Reply 1111
whats the run down on Hawthornes??

also, may have already asked but cant find it in this mammoth thread about parking, is there anything i could sort out for my car?
Am I right in thinking wardens don't see UCAS applications, but just what we write on our accommodation forms?
tolydan
I am looking for a small house with a min. of 3 bedrooms to live in with my family alone (3 adults and 2 children) starting from oct'07
i also want to be an a safe area and close to the university of bristol

please guide me

appreciate ur help very very much

Renting I assume? Hmm, if its a family then normal student lets may not be ideal, they tend to be focued on individual rooms, 1 for each person. I'm assuming you would want more of a 'family' type of house.

If that's the case not many people with have experience of looking for those sorts of rental properties on here, but I could give you the names and websites of some Bristol estate agents, particularly ones that have alot of properties in the uni area, but i have no idea of the range of properties they have.

Going to bed now though, I'll look tomorrow and try to find some useful houses.

It may also be work giving the Accommodation Office an email, they will most likely have experience with this sort of thing and be able to put you in touch with suitable people.
Reply 1114
thanx alot appreciate ur great help very much
yes i do want a separate house for me and my family alone not shared
Laws
whats the run down on Hawthornes??

also, may have already asked but cant find it in this mammoth thread about parking, is there anything i could sort out for my car?

For God's sake, I DID answer your previous question about parking in detail. It's not hard to scroll back within a thread, especially considering two other people added to my post, which was directly below yours. :rolleyes:

For future reference, you can find out if people have answered your post by hitting the 'Who Quoted Me' button in the User CP.

For your ease of use however, it is repeated below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laws
"i want to take my car to bristol, but none of the places i want to stay a have parking spaces.

any one know how i can find a place to keep my car or what i could do?"

Don't take your car. End of.

I have mine in Bristol, because I need it to move my harp around and to travel to the little village in Wells where I have my harp lessons. Otherwise, I really really wouldn't need (or want) one...

The parking in Bristol is a pain (£3.20 for a max of two hours near the uni) and on the rare occasions you can find a space, you have to pay a fortune to use it. Car crime is at the highest level in the whole of the UK, and my insurance costs have sky rocketed since changing my address from London to Bristol as a result.

The general attitudes of the drivers down here is a pain as well - very slapdash and they love taking advantages of gaps a few centimetres big.

Trust me, the buses are frequent, cheaper and MUCH easier! Walking's always good too...
tolydan
thanx alot appreciate ur great help very much
yes i do want a separate house for me and my family alone not shared

Before you start looking, if you have children it might be worth finding out where the local schools are and where their catchment areas extend to... That way, you'll know which areas of Bristol to target. Worst thing would be to find a lovely house in a lovely area, but with no schools nearby!

Clifton and Cotham are possibly the nearest areas to the Uni, but they're also quite expensive - I'm living in a house of four in Clifton and we're paying £340/month each for just rent! If you'd like somewhere a bit cheaper, try places like Hotwells or Bedminster. Granted, they're not quite as close as Clifton or Cotham, but they should be cheaper! The transport system in Bristol isn't *that* bad, and although it might seem expensive at first, a bus pass could be a worthwhile investment :wink:
Reply 1117
lol, thanks for your patience Angelharpist !

Rui
Well, obviously you'd have to tell us where you were looking to stay before we can give you any more meaningful info...

thinking about staying at Hawthornes or woodland court.
Reply 1118
Unlikely to be able to get a car parked there. Right in the centre of the city/uni.

Which means you won't need a car anyway.
Reply 1119
Pretty random question about wills... I have a dust might allergy so have to wet dust...HUZZAH! cleaners obviously won't do this so, really I need a sink in the room because it will take me HOURS otherwise. Is there any connection with sinks and room sizes? Sounds pretty weird but i remember from my sisters accomodation in ****field that old rooms were the only ones with sinks and they were larger.

Cheersss

Latest

Trending

Trending