The Student Room Group

Selling on books?

I recently dropped out of university from History at UCL - unfortunately, I managed to panic buy a bunch of books that were on the reading list, most of which I subsequently never touched, and which I now desperately need to sell. I'm going to university in September to do a completely different course, and so I really don't need them.

I bought the books mostly from Amazon - some are brand new and have never been touched, others were second hand when I bought them, though all are in very good condition.

I was just wondering what the best way to sell them on would be? I checked out amazon's market place, and they take a pretty high cut of the amount in my opinion - like 17% of what you sell the item for, pretty much.

So I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas for the best way to sell the books on would be? For the really brand new ones I want to get full price, preferably - because they're academic texts, some of these books were like £30 brand new. And I want to avoid paying fees to whoever I sell through as much as possible - any ideas?
Reply 1
Ebay?
Reply 2
I think they take quite a hefty cut too...will check it out though.
Reply 3
ladylish
For the really brand new ones I want to get full price, preferably - because they're academic texts, some of these books were like £30 brand new. And I want to avoid paying fees to whoever I sell through as much as possible - any ideas?

No chance i'm afraid, you're gonna lose a bit (or a lot) whatever way you do it.
Why not wait until you go back to uni and sell them in a bulk purchase to a History student?
Reply 5
libertine861
Why not wait until you go back to uni and sell them in a bulk purchase to a History student?

Because I'm going to a completely different university, and I can't rely on the reading lists for two different universities being the same.
Reply 6
ladylish
Because I'm going to a completely different university, and I can't rely on the reading lists for two different universities being the same.

Go over to the uni you went to, put up signs saying the books you're selling and your phone number on noticeboards. Maybe do like a bulk all of them for 50 quid thing.

Or you can gumtree them.
Try a website called Sell Student Stuff.

Latest

Trending

Trending