The Student Room Group

Backpack help

I've found a backpack that I like the look of, but it's damn expensive compared to all the other ones I own! This is the one i'm looking at. It opens all the way up, has a day bag, and more importantly has wheels as well. I'd be using it for travelling, camp america, and for general holidays.

Does anyone know any cheaper versions of this? I'm not too fussed on the size - anything of a total of 65-85 really (I'm not that strong and don't need that much).
Reply 1
Its not that expensive. I would say go for it if thats the pack you want (though go to Black's first and try it on with some weight in it). Your bag is one thing you seriously do not want to skimp with, since its your most important piece of kit.
Reply 2
Hi again

it depends how many of the features are must-haves for you.

this week i bought my rucksack, 65 litre £70 Vango Sherpa. i had never heard of them before, but apparently they are good.
my bag was quite mid-range as far as i could see. has lots of pockets, orange monsoon cover built-in, and quite comfortable. you will be paying a premium for berghaus - the bags are of better quality but you also are paying for the brand.

You should remember that if you have an 85 litre bag you will instinctively fill it up and make it heavy, which will make carrying it a nightmare and far more likely that you will incur more costs as baggage excesses. wheels can be a bonus, but in south america of limited use and can make it uncomfortable to carry on back, depends if you will be using it as a backpack.
Reply 3
loafer
Hi again

it depends how many of the features are must-haves for you.

this week i bought my rucksack, 65 litre £70 Vango Sherpa. i had never heard of them before, but apparently they are good.
my bag was quite mid-range as far as i could see. has lots of pockets, orange monsoon cover built-in, and quite comfortable. you will be paying a premium for berghaus - the bags are of better quality but you also are paying for the brand.

You should remember that if you have an 85 litre bag you will instinctively fill it up and make it heavy, which will make carrying it a nightmare and far more likely that you will incur more costs as baggage excesses. wheels can be a bonus, but in south america of limited use and can make it uncomfortable to carry on back, depends if you will be using it as a backpack.

Thats the thing, i'll be using it as a backpack in SA but on wheels for camp and normal holidays, just because i know it will be heavier for those things. If I can find one with wheels and unzips totally that isn't Berghaus, i'll get it.. hopefully I'll find one!
I wouldn't go much higher than 65l to be honest as I don't think you'd be able to carry it. I mean that in a nice way, but mine is 65l and that about does me in terms of what I can "comfortably" carry around on my back, there is no way I'd be able to carry one which was bigger as I would certainly fill the extra 85l just because I had the room for it. I'm about 5'7 with a long and lanky body shape! Also, its an issue with airline weight restrictions too, I'm always pretty much bang on the 20kg limit with mine so it would certainly be over that if I had more room to put things.

If you have a Decathlon near you I would go and have a look there as they have loads of different styles for around £60-80. I've seen some like the one you're wanting, but that was about 2 years ago now, although they could still make them.
Reply 5
oxymoronic
I wouldn't go much higher than 65l to be honest as I don't think you'd be able to carry it. I mean that in a nice way, but mine is 65l and that about does me in terms of what I can "comfortably" carry around on my back, there is no way I'd be able to carry one which was bigger as I would certainly fill the extra 85l just because I had the room for it. I'm about 5'7 with a long and lanky body shape! Also, its an issue with airline weight restrictions too, I'm always pretty much bang on the 20kg limit with mine so it would certainly be over that if I had more room to put things.

If you have a Decathlon near you I would go and have a look there as they have loads of different styles for around £60-80. I've seen some like the one you're wanting, but that was about 2 years ago now, although they could still make them.

Ooh thanks, i think there is one somewhere nearby. I have a 65l at the moment, and i can carry that comfortably, though it usually only holds around 14kg worth of stuff (mostly clothes), or at least thats what it usually weighs in at at the airport. I usually carry the heavy things in my day pack and pretend it's light when i walk on :tongue:
Reply 6
The Vango Globetrotter is along the same lines as the Jalan and I think can be had for £50-£60. Its reasonable but you pay for what you get so after one trial run and then a reasonably testing two week trip (ie a lot of being dragged around,) some of the zippers were straining a little and a tear was developing on the daysack. You definitely get what you pay for so if you need something sturdy, perhaps look away from travel packs and more at traditional hiking backpacks.
Just go to Decathlon. I bought mine, a Quechua one from there yearssss ago and it has lasted me really well!

www.decathlon.co.uk

£125 is way too expensive for a backpack in my opinion.
Reply 8
I'm wanting one on wheels as well, I went shopping today and found a 50l one, but it looked really small. what sort of size do you think would be best?
Reply 9
how long are you going for?
where are you going?
what are you doing/tent? sleeping bag?
will you be carrying or pulling?
Reply 10
I got the 55+15 version of that bag. Without the wheels as thats extra weight. I do like Berghaus, tend to hold together. If you google it you can compare prices on the shopping search. http://www.google.co.uk/products?q=berghaus+jalan&hl=en
Reply 11
WARNING: Do not buy this backpack if you have trekking planned, this thing will be the bane of your existence on a trek. They're designed to be practical but not for a huge amount of comfort over a long period if time whilst doing vigorous exercise.

Latest