The Student Room Group

Only in America?

Hi

I'm off to the US next week and I was planning on shopping for things that are rare to find in Britain. I know the exchange rate at the moment isn't great, so I won't really be able to take advantage of cheaper American goods. But what do you think are the best things to buy in America as opposed to buying over here? I'm already thinking about trying the different snacks e.g. chocolates, cakes etc. Clothes? Gadgets that haven't yet reached our shores?

P.S. I didn't think it was appropriate to stick this in the Shopping subforum, as that's more to do with the Fashion and Beauty forum.
Reply 1
Beef Jerky - lots of
WoWZa
When you go to America, it shouldn't just be about shopping. Firstly the gadgets aren't all that cheaper over there than they are in the UK. And you may also need to purchase an adapter for the UK. In terms of "shopping", the US and the UK aren't all that different.

No, of course not, I'm actually going skiing there. But I thought it might be a useful opportunity to buy things and do things that are harder to do in the UK.
don't spend to much or your have to pay tax to get in the country, i think
Reply 4
root beer! try root beer! it's drink of the gods and they have free refils of it in mcdonalds :biggrin:
Reply 5
Root Beer and taffy, jolly ranchers...
Reply 6
robinson999
don't spend to much or your have to pay tax to get in the country, i think

Theoretically yes, although I have never been checked and I always spend way over the limit; just remove tags from new clothes and things so it isn't absolutely obvious they are brand new :wink:
ToryGirl
Theoretically yes, although I have never been checked and I always spend way over the limit; just remove tags from new clothes and things so it isn't absolutely obvious they are brand new :wink:

don't tell them :wink:
Reply 8
Make sure you give Abercrombie and also Hollister a look. Clothes stores that in America are just regular clothes stores, but got brought over here and somehow became massive design labels, with incredibly huge price tags. Buy stuff over there for cheap for yourself, or if you really want, stock up and rake in the profits on eBay :wink:

As you said with the exchange right, electronic gadgets are not really that great at the moment to buy over there. iPods, game consoles, laptops etc. used to be great to buy over there, not so much in the current economy.

Trainers are also pretty cheap over there. If you can, get to a TJ Maxx (the same company as our TK Maxx, don't understand what the J/K substitute is about). You can actually get REALLY good stuff in there, unlike the one here. Full on designer shizzle.

Have fun! :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending