The Student Room Group

Reading around subject?

I'm quite ambitious about where I want to study in university, and I know in your PS when you apply to uni you're supposed to show that you have read about the subjects that you are interested in doing. For some this sounds pretty easy, like. literature for english lit. or historical accounts/literature for history, but what would this mean for languages?

I intend to do German and a less common subject like Mandarin Chinese or Russian, so should I read about the country, books in that language (well for German, I don't know any of the other languages), both, or something else entirely?

Reply 1
It's not just about having "read around" the subject, it's about having taken an active interest in it.
Reply 2
I take a very active interest in languages, I just want to know what would be good to read as well!
Planto
It's not just about having "read around" the subject, it's about having taken an active interest in it.

exactly- so long as it is clear that you are passionate about the subject, you should be fine... if its a language you already do, for example french, then perhaps reading a classic french book would possibly be worthwhile, then it gives you something to talk about on personal statements/in interviews... but as long as you have other things you could talk about to show your enthusiasm for the subject, it doesn't really matter too much
Reply 4
Mentoring someone who's taking German for their GCSE is probably your best bet. You could also read your favourite book(s) in German, read about the origins of the languages you’d be applying for, describe what inspired you to taking an interest in language (visits to the country, etc)...
Reply 5
Take a holiday to germany, or get a german penpal :smile:
Ooo yay a Germanist. :biggrin:

Basically you can read up on anything that you're interested in related to the culture of the country whose language you want to study- this can be film, drama, literature, art, history, philosophy... anything. The world is your oyster so enjoy it!

A GREAT way into German culture is to see German plays and films- Germany has had a great drama tradition for ages and its modern films are a good way to get into the historical background of the country. 'Das Leben der Anderen' is the one everyone sees, but feel free to look at other ones. Lots of universities have student productions of German plays that are nice and cheap.

Have fun 'reading' around your subject! :biggrin:
Reply 7
Thanks yeah I have a few, and I'm doing a german exchange in six weeks, then hopefully a french one.

Rubs
Mentoring someone who's taking German for their GCSE is probably your best bet. You could also read your favourite book(s) in German, read about the origins of the languages you’d be applying for, describe what inspired you to taking an interest in language (visits to the country, etc)...

Now that is a fantastic idea thank you! Reading my favourite books in german is also a good idea, though they might not appreciate harry potter :tongue:.
Infact thanks, that's really useful +rep
Reply 8
timelordess
Ooo yay a Germanist. :biggrin:

Basically you can read up on anything that you're interested in related to the culture of the country whose language you want to study- this can be film, drama, literature, art, history, philosophy... anything. The world is your oyster so enjoy it!

A GREAT way into German culture is to see German plays and films- Germany has had a great drama tradition for ages and its modern films are a good way to get into the historical background of the country. 'Das Leben der Anderen' is the one everyone sees, but feel free to look at other ones. Lots of universities have student productions of German plays that are nice and cheap.

Have fun 'reading' around your subject! :biggrin:

Ah yes "Die vogelein schweigen im Balde...." I do love German poetry :woo:
Thanks I'll search for some films.

Latest

Trending

Trending