The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

jumpunderaboat
Fair enough, I should've said that I have basically no experience in any of this... just hearsay and impressions.
I am sure it gets harder, however its seems maths wise to be the equivalent to an AS in maths over two years. Clearly maths skills are not the only thing needed tho. Jools how much maths have you studied as I can't imagine there is any substantial maths content in a geography degree...
Reply 21
A Computer Science degree is a highly sought after degree for city jobs. Just to give you some examples of some of my friends (all doing computer science), many of them have got into Accenture, PA consulting and BAE systems for consulting related jobs. Some (including myself) will be doing accountancy ACA training next year and some will be going to ABN Amro, HSBC and RBS for Banking related work. You can also go into technical jobs such as one friend of mine who will be working in satellite communications next year. So on the whole a computer science degree (from a decent uni) will enable u to work in a variety of sectors, including Consulting, Accounting and Banking.

A computer science degree will provide you with teamworking skills (through the many group prj you will undertake), it shows you have good problem solving skills and can handle advanced numerical problems. And on the whole it is very favoured amongst city employers.

One piece of advice however, try to do a few mgt modules if possible as city employers do favour some knowledge of business. I personally decided to study Computer Science with Management. Imperial's MSc Computing (Computational Management) is an excellent degree so I suggest u look into that. When I had my assessment centre with PwC and Deloitte, I met more than 5 ppl doing that very exact degree - so do check up on that. On the whole however, a computer science degree is looked upon in the same light as an Economics or Maths degree and is sometimes favoured over Business Management Degrees.
Speciez99
Jools how much maths have you studied as I can't imagine there is any substantial maths content in a geography degree...

I have an A-Level in Maths and that's more than sufficient for sales/trading, where you don't need to be a Maths genius or have studied Maths to degree-level, just be alert and good with arithmetic. The numerical tests they give are GCSE-standard (or below) questions, you just have to do them super-fast.
Reply 23
Jools
The numerical tests they give are GCSE-standard (or below) questions, you just have to do them super-fast.

my favourite :smile: , lol
Reply 24
KingsComp
A Computer Science degree is a highly sought after degree for city jobs. Just to give you some examples of some of my friends (all doing computer science), many of them have got into Accenture, PA consulting and BAE systems for consulting related jobs. Some (including myself) will be doing accountancy ACA training next year and some will be going to ABN Amro, HSBC and RBS for Banking related work. You can also go into technical jobs such as one friend of mine who will be working in satellite communications next year. So on the whole a computer science degree (from a decent uni) will enable u to work in a variety of sectors, including Consulting, Accounting and Banking.

A computer science degree will provide you with teamworking skills (through the many group prj you will undertake), it shows you have good problem solving skills and can handle advanced numerical problems. And on the whole it is very favoured amongst city employers.

One piece of advice however, try to do a few mgt modules if possible as city employers do favour some knowledge of business. I personally decided to study Computer Science with Management. Imperial's MSc Computing (Computational Management) is an excellent degree so I suggest u look into that. When I had my assessment centre with PwC and Deloitte, I met more than 5 ppl doing that very exact degree - so do check up on that. On the whole however, a computer science degree is looked upon in the same light as an Economics or Maths degree and is sometimes favoured over Business Management Degrees.

G500 Computing (Computational Management) at Imperial- that would be good because of the management side then, yeh?
jamierwilliams
I agree...physics is hugly mathematical, whereas maths only constitutes a relatively small part of an economics degree

That depends on the person. Thanks to the options I've chosen, my Economics degree is half maths, and we're talking some pretty nasty maths at times. Choose other options, and you could come away with an Econ degree with no maths after the first year.

Latest

Trending

Trending