The Student Room Group
Reply 1
I knew someone who took a gap year and taught in a school, and also went to Afria and taught there. He got in to study English Literature at Cambridge so I think this could be a good idea. However English is moslty about reading and creativity - maybe you could say you write short stories and poetry?

Also, maybe try to set up a school paper or magazine?

I hope this helps! xx
Reply 2
SomeGirl91
I knew someone who took a gap year and taught in a school, and also went to Afria and taught there. He got in to study English Literature at Cambridge so I think this could be a good idea. However English is moslty about reading and creativity - maybe you could say you write short stories and poetry?

Also, maybe try to set up a school paper or magazine?

I hope this helps! xx

Wow thanks for the quick reply!

Unfortunately I don't think the traveling and teaching idea would particularly interest me, for several reasons, though I admire their work!

Yeah, I have done that. As well as looking good on a personal statement etc, it's great fun!
Really, no-one is going to give a flying monkey about work experience if you're applying for English Literature. If you've got something really relevant - like amateur journalism experience or editorial work or something - then put it down, but don't devote much space to it; a passing mention will suffice. I didn't put down any relevant work experience, and am now studying English at Oxford. It's really about your literary abilities, not your employment history.
Reply 4
*pitseleh*
Really, no-one is going to give a flying monkey about work experience if you're applying for English Literature. If you've got something really relevant - like amateur journalism experience or editorial work or something - then put it down, but don't devote much space to it; a passing mention will suffice. I didn't put down any relevant work experience, and am now studying English at Oxford. It's really about your literary abilities, not your employment history.

OK, thanks for clearing that up. The only reason I ask, however, is because I have been told that as well as showing your ability (which would be evident from your grades) , it is necessary to show passion for English, and convince the tutors that you're genuinely excited at the prospect of studying it for 3 years. How can you do that?
anonymous5555
OK, thanks for clearing that up. The only reason I ask, however, is because I have been told that as well as showing your ability (which would be evident from your grades) , it is necessary to show passion for English, and convince the tutors that you're genuinely excited at the prospect of studying it for 3 years. How can you do that?

Talk about a few texts with enthusiasm and insight - that's really all you need to do. Show that you've read beyond your A-level syllabus. That sort of thing. :smile:
Reply 6
Get reading! Find out who the 'clever' ones are to read and get cracking.

You could try to write for a local newspaper or something...

Or try and find some underpriveleged kids to teach...

But mostly read.

Indulge your imagination.
Reply 7
anonymous5555

Oh... because it is english you have to write an interesting personal statement.

I judge it on a joke per line ratio- then hope that your statement falls into the hands of someone with a sense of humour.
If you're still interested, I know Penguin do work experience placements. Check their website for details.
Reply 9
JW
If you're still interested, I know Penguin do work experience placements. Check their website for details.

Oh it sounds great but its 18+:frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending