The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I think it's best to do four AS levels. Quite a lot of people applying there will be doing four A levels, so only 3 at AS would probably disadvantage you, yes.
Reply 2
they will ignore critical thinking and general studies, so doing 3AS will put you at somewhat of a disadvantage, as practically everyone does at least 4 AS levels, as you pointed out.
Reply 3
GCE A levels

AS levels
Cambridge applicants are encouraged to study either four or five Advanced Subsidiary (AS) levels in Year 12. Applicants taking four subjects will not be disadvantaged compared with those taking five subjects. We would normally expect A grades in subjects which are particularly relevant to the course you are applying for. Separate certification at AS level in the case of subjects being taken at A2 is not a requirement and applicants not cashing in AS levels will not be disadvantaged. All applicants are asked to report (on a supplementary questionnaire) the results of all AS and A2 modules taken to date, whether certificated or not. Colleges will not make unconditional offers on the basis of AS level grades alone.

A level offers
Most conditional offers made by the Cambridge Colleges will require AAA in three A level subjects. For advice about suitable subject choices see course requirements. All Colleges modify offers to meet individual circumstances. For example, lower offers may be made to an applicant whose potential has not been realised at school for good reasons (see Cambridge Special Access Scheme), or to relieve a very good applicant of additional pressure. On the other hand, more challenging offers may be set to ensure that an applicant can cope with pressure and the demands of exams.

From the Cambridge website.
Reply 4
The general requirement for Oxbridge (and all unis for that matter) is 3 A levels, so if you continue them all on to Alevel, you should be fine. Granted, they would pretty much expect them to be As though, with a majority of As at AS!
Which subjects are they in out of interest?

x
Reply 5
What are your three "main" AS levels? Critical thinking at AS isn't a problem but it wouldn't count as a rigorous 3rd (or 4th) A-level. Though the most important thing is to study what you enjoy.
drop both of them and do one more proper a level.

4 good ones is worth much more than 3 and those two.

good luck
I would recommend you do something worthwhile with some of the rest of your time if not though (preferably subject-related). Otherwise you may come across as relatively apathetic.
Reply 8
Quck replies, thanks.

Well at the minute I do Italian, Economics and Biology. Critical Thinking and General Studies are an extra 2 hours per week so I thought "why not?" even though I knew many places disregard them.

I do an Open University course at the minute is well, but I doubt that makes much difference.
Reply 9
What subject are you thinking of applying for, out of interest?
Reply 10
i am doing maths economics german history and general studies and i am droping german i have been told theses are good a levels for an economics course there, very rounded
Frankly, they don't care. If you find the subjects hard - not just learning the content - but thinking about what you do deeply, etc. you stand a very reasonable chance, providing you get AAA in the three main AS Levels, and try your best in the others.
Yes, if you're taking three academic A-Levels along with general studies and CT you are at a disadvantage, the extent to which depends on your other three subjects are your UMS scores in them.
Reply 13
Maybe it is a bit early to be thinking... but I think I'll have to exclude Cambridge from my application.

I would like to do Modern Languages, and am currently predicted AAA, we don't get them for CT and General Studies.
PJ991
Maybe it is a bit early to be thinking... but I think I'll have to exclude Cambridge from my application.

I would like to do Modern Languages, and am currently predicted AAA, we don't get them for CT and General Studies.

I think you'd still stand a fair chance of getting in with those A-levels, it's just the lack of a fourth AS would stand against you a little. But you should still apply if you'd like to do MML.
PJ991

Very high UMS scores in your AS year will go some way to negate your lack of a fourth AS-Level, apply if you like the course.
Reply 16
This is all complete rubbish. Cambridge don't discriminate against people with 3 A levels. If your GCSE's are good and your A levels grades are good you should be fine. Cambridge interview most people so you'll get your chance to show your knowledge/passion. Apply.
Reply 17
root2528
This is all complete rubbish. Cambridge don't discriminate against people with 3 A levels. .

No, but they do generally prefer more than three AS levels, which is what the OP is asking about. So its not really complete rubbish.

That is not to say the OP shouldn't apply, however.
Reply 18
root2528
This is all complete rubbish. Cambridge don't discriminate against people with 3 A levels. If your GCSE's are good and your A levels grades are good you should be fine. Cambridge interview most people so you'll get your chance to show your knowledge/passion. Apply.

reading the ******* thread!
Reply 19
emilY?
No, but they do generally prefer more than three AS levels, which is what the OP is asking about. So its not really complete rubbish.

That is not to say the OP shouldn't apply, however.

Not if your good at what you do. Good GCSE's and AS's = interview. Have a good interview(s) and you have all the chance of getting in. One extra A level is far less important than GCSE/AS grades, interview peformance, internal exams, PS etc so I would so don't worry about it... at all.

Latest

Trending

Trending