The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
glance
Two reasons for buying a girl a big bunch of flowers:

1. Because you love her, and want to make her happy.

2. Because you want to sleep with her.

Is Option 2 romantic? Do you think many guys use Option 2?

Can't it be both?

I might be giving us men too much credit here but I don't think many of us would buy a girl flowers with the express idea of shagging her. Thats a bit manipulative. Maybe if we were trying to get her to go out with us in the first place. And thats somewhat romantic, isn't it?
Reply 21
Adhsur
I doubt that's true. I sure hope not anyway.

Ah this should be where the bitter side'll take over and I start proclaiming love doesn't exist! But no :smile:

You sound like me!!!! I can be cynical at times but at heart I'm a romantic :smile:
Reply 22
No I don't think it's dead. Well I would like to think that my relationship is romantic. It's definately full of love and romantic gestures. I suppose it all depends on how the individual would define romance, but I would say that romance is still in the air!
:eek: NO!!! don't say that :frown:
Reply 24
SamTheMan
Yeah but it's not cool to be a romantic.

I'm 22, it's a long time since I've worried about being 'cool'. :rolleyes: :biggrin: If you ask girls what they want in a guy,

As a friend told me at the end of high school, all girls look for is a nice big cock. Words of wisdom...in a strange way.

And any girl looking just for that is welcome to your friend. I think you'll find that pretty near the bottom of the list, quite a way below someone who genuinely loves them and cares about them, treats them like a princess and makes them feel special every day, doesn't judge them or have unrealistic expectations, and appreciates and respects them.

The aim of a relationship, for me anyway, is not just to have something to have sex with. I actually enjoy being in love. I love doing things to make her happy, make her feel great about herself, and show her how much I love her. I love being that connected and sharing everything with her. That makes me happy. If that's not cool or what most guys are doing these days, I couldn't care less. I pity them, because it's great.
Romance isn't a thing i see very often. Everyone thinks that if they act romantic they'll look "geeky" or "gay" so everyone ends up strutting about acting like the only reason they're with someone is cos they're "stunnin" or "shagable":rolleyes:. Even my own ex couldn't tell me that he wanted back with me cos he really loved me and missed me cos he thought it would ruin his rep. Pathetic really.
Reply 26
need_money
Romance isn't a thing i see very often. Everyone thinks that if they act romantic they'll look "geeky" or "gay" so everyone ends up strutting about acting like the only reason they're with someone is cos they're "stunnin" or "shagable":rolleyes:. Even my own ex couldn't tell me that he wanted back with me cos he really loved me and missed me cos he thought it would ruin his rep. Pathetic really.

Don't worry about it, they'll grow up eventually.
Reply 27
need_money

That's called immaturity... *some* guys grow out of it :wink: eventually :biggrin:
course romance isnt dead. i think its coming into its own more than ever. Romance does mean different things now tho. Where simply cooking a meal used to be eally romantic, now it is less so.
capitalist manipulation i say, ramnce these days is often attached to giving something material.
my fave romantic gesture is the random rose or even message out of the blue. not too pricey, and just shows u are thinking about them for no particular reason.
Zurich
That's called immaturity... *some* guys grow out of it :wink: eventually :biggrin:

Well i really hope they do. Mind you i know some guys over 20 and they don't show much romance either. And i don't mean with me.
SamTheMan
Yeah but it's not cool to be a romantic.
As a friend told me at the end of high school, all girls look for is a nice big cock. Words of wisdom...in a strange way.

:eek: that is such a load of bull!!!!!!!!!
obviously that does help but he has to have a good personality- and being pretty also helps :biggrin:
Reply 31
foolfarian

my fave romantic gesture is the random rose or even message out of the blue. not too pricey, and just shows u are thinking about them for no particular reason.

sounds pretty good to me :biggrin:
Reply 32
I think one of my favourites was when my bf and I had the house to ourself. I came home from work and there was a note on the front door saying "Don't talk to me, go upstairs. I've run a bath, I'm cooking dinner." It showed he cared about me being tired after work and gave me space to relax on my own so I wouldn't be harangued by questions. Other favourites include having a wonderful hotel in a medieval citadel and then watching the bastille day fireworks from the ramparts (a bit pricier!), a surprise neck rub after I've been sat writing an essay for a few hours - and then leaving me alone to finish it, walking into a room with lots of lovely candles and a big "welcome home" sign that he'd obviously spent ages making, cleaning and tidying my room when I was at a supervision and I'd been stressed all week and had no time - coming home was a dream rather than a nightmare!, making a video of my home town when I was home sick... the list goes on. He's too good to me!
Reply 33
blissy
I think one of my favourites was when my bf and I had the house to ourself. I came home from work and there was a note on the front door saying "Don't talk to me, go upstairs. I've run a bath, I'm cooking dinner." It showed he cared about me being tired after work and gave me space to relax on my own so I wouldn't be harangued by questions. Other favourites include having a wonderful hotel in a medieval citadel and then watching the bastille day fireworks from the ramparts (a bit pricier!), a surprise neck rub after I've been sat writing an essay for a few hours - and then leaving me alone to finish it, walking into a room with lots of lovely candles and a big "welcome home" sign that he'd obviously spent ages making, cleaning and tidying my room when I was at a supervision and I'd been stressed all week and had no time - coming home was a dream rather than a nightmare!, making a video of my home town when I was home sick... the list goes on. He's too good to me!

Maaaww!! Sweet indeed. Anyone can just buy a rose and call it romantic, but that shows thought and care had been put into those, bless.
blissy

Awwww thats so sweet! You're the luckiest girl alive! :p:
lessthanthree
I think that's definitely an age thing. Also; it's the sort of thing you come to expect from lads who spend a liiiiitle too much time haning around with 'gangs' of mates.

Someone who's too embarrassed to tell you how they really feel about you for fear of their mates ragging on them is a total lemming unworthy of your time in the first place.

Well...it's all gangs round here so thats probably why i haven't met a decent guy yet. :p:
i dont think romance is dead, i just think the word is thrown around where it doesnt apply. like getting flowers on V-day isnt romantic- its sweet but its "expected" if u know what i mean, society (at least american) is telling the guy that u have to do sumthing. getting (/giving) flowers for no apparent reason is "romantic" because it shows that u care on a different level. romance is still alive, u just have to know where to find/see it.
Reply 37
blissy

I refuse to believe that any woman would take a huge cock over all that.
SamTheMan
What ever happened to romance in relationships? Maybe it's just because everyone here is younger but it seems like people here have boyfriends/girlfriends for all reasons other than actual love or feelings.

Is it just me?

I would have said 'yes' about a minute ago but my sister just received a letter from her boyfriend (lives in a different city) which is the sweetest thing in the world, he organised a trip for them together since they haven't seen eachother in a long time and had actually gotten my parents' permission before so that he could surprise her
Let me clear something out for you. Romance must have it's limits like everything else in this world. Too much romance IMO is a big disadvantage and girls usually treat too-romantic guys like gay ones.

Also there's a proper time for everything. Espiecially for romance. Although the timing in romantic gestures has got to be in random intervals (i.e. unexpected).

Latest

Trending

Trending