The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
yh i rekon it will be alright aslong as it was still frozen? but i think that is disgusting how could you half eat a pink burger...
You should be fine!!
Just forget about it, otherwise you might start feeling ill from being paranoid!
Reply 3
you will find out by tomorrow...lol
How do you feel now? Chances are it'll be ok. If you fall violently ill tomorrow (throw up several times, dizzy spells etc), then seek out a doctor. Otherwise I think you'll be fine.
Reply 5
If it was frozen it'll probably be fine. The only real danger with burgers rather than normal steak (which can be eaten when pink in the middle) is if they're made from mince, letting the possible germs on the outside get in.

If you're not feeling ill now you should be fine.
Reply 6
you should be fine, when i make burgers from scratch i normally serve them medium-rare and never had any problems. I'd be a little concerned though if it was a processed burger as dont trust the meat they use in them.
Reply 7
it was canteen style burger :s-smilie: urgh
dbmag9
If it was frozen it'll probably be fine. The only real danger with burgers rather than normal steak (which can be eaten when pink in the middle) is if they're made from mince, letting the possible germs on the outside get in.

(sorry to meander slightly off topic)
but omg....we were just discussing that EXACT 'theory' in physics today....spooky
Reply 9
dbmag9

This - shouldn't have done you any serious or long-term damage at any rate :smile:
Reply 10
i always cook burgers medium/medium rare nothing ever happened to me :dontknow:
There's a difference between homecooked burgers and canteen burgers. As long as it's reasonable quality beef you should be fine, and if not you can sue them.

P.S. proper beef is lush raw.
someone told me aboutt this a while ago. you can eat undercooked beef because the outsides will still be clean of harmful bacterior due to the heat. however, burgers are made from mince which means that parts of the meat that would need to be cooked to prevent food poisoning (the outside) would be mixed on the inside aswell and so could potentially make you ill.

he couldve been wrong though
You can eat steaks rare because it's only the outside that is contaminated, so a quick flash on either side does the trick. Burgers are normally made from mince and need to be cooked right through. Hopefully you'll be fine. Keep us posted.
jdgirl
Is this likely to make me ill? It was a bit pink in the middle and I only ate half of it. It'll be fine right, cos you can eat rare steak?

steak is different, by quickly cooking the outside of it (literally 15 seconds in a frying pan) you remove all the bacteria that was on the steak. and i dont think any is actually inside the meat at the middle of the steak, which is why you can do it.

whereas a burger, the meat is minced, so the bacteria on the surface of the meat can get to the center. which is why you have to cook burgers properly.

but i could be wrong. and i doubt anything will happen anyway
Reply 15
yes, unless it had foot and mouth, or salmonella, or mad cow diesease. all of which i highly doubt. youll be fine dont worry.
Reply 16
or campylobacter for that matter... but apparantly only 2% of beef in supermarkets is contaminated with campylobacter (however 60% of all chicken meat sold is infected which is another reason never to eat chicken)
campylobacter only causes diarrhoea nausea and sometimes vomiting (and you wont find out till about 3 days later mhuahaha)
You will know tommorow lol... but you should be fine. If you end up a bit sick you would be just unlucky.
Just watch out for sickness and/or diarrhea, but chances are that you'll be okay.
I'm pretty sure you'll be fine... you can eat steak rare.

Latest