The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You can get funding up to four years.
Reply 2
i thought it was up to 5, cos they fund entire vet med degrees...
I thought it was 5 because I'm going to do MPharm (which is 4 years) with a foundation year. I hope it's 5!
Reply 4
Yes, I assumed the OP was applying for a 'normal' three year degree, in which case the SLC will fund you up to a fourth year (if for example you drop out one year).
They will fund you for the length of your current course, plus one year, minus any years previously spent in higher education. This works backwards from your final year.

So if you want to do a 3 year course but have already had 2 year's funding for an HND they will only fund you for the 3rd and 2nd year of your course.

If you want to do a 3 year course but have already had a year's funding at another uni which you left in the first year, then they will fund you for years' 3, 2 and 1, but thats it. if you repeat a year you fund it yourself.

etc.
Reply 6
regretably_indie
Please help is you can!!
How many years does the Student Loans Company finance you? I am currently in the final year of a 3 year course... but i am considering scenarios in which i will have to repeat the year... will i get the same funding as usual?

I don't think you can repeat your final year? Otherwise everyone getting poor degree classifications would just resit if they felt like it?

If you perform poorly in your final year then rather than be able to repeat, surely you would just get a 2 : 2 or a Third?

I may be wrong. Perhaps if you have mitigating circumstances?
Reply 7
Screenager is right, duration of the new course plus one year less any years of previous study = entitlement.
Reply 8
I'm pretty sure you can get funding up to 5 years, according to this article at least...www.thegatewayonline.com and yes, you can in fact repeat your final year as long as you've done less than 50% of your exams. This is true at Oxford - it may depend on the university though
Reply 9
bump :ninja:

i just wana double check, i will be dropping out after 2 years (i repeated my first year) and will probrably want to do a 4 year course so does that mean i get 3+1-2=2 years of funding left for another course? does this include maintanence loan? and as ive already applied for student loan next year but i will be dropping out, will i need to call them up to cancel the loan?

hello everyone, I completed a 3 year degree and 4 years on want to go back to uni for a year, i got funding for the 3 year course from students loan company , my question is when i do this new course to become a teacher for a year will students load company fund this one to for a year ??
Are you talking about a PGCE?

If you are, then yes, you can get a student loan
Reply 12
My course is a foundation year, then 3 years, however I failed last year so I'm taking it again.
Does this mean I'm going to run out of funding for the final year?

:s-smilie:

Edit : I didn't realise this thread was a year old.

BUT STILL, I NEED ANSWERS!
Reply 13
Hoody555
My course is a foundation year, then 3 years, however I failed last year so I'm taking it again.

As I understand it, you get your current degree length + 1 (minus any previous years in study). Since your degree is 4 years in total, that means you will still get funding for the entire course (4 + 1 - 1 (fail))

Is that right?

I'm currently on a masters, and despite screwing up last year seems I may screw up again this year.

As I understand it, if I retake a year on a 4 year masters (as in MSci), I can still get funding for the entire 4 years correct? Since they give you one years leeway on screw ups.
Reply 14
Hoody555

This has happened to me also, have you made any progress? I need to sort some things out with my finance.
screenager2004
They will fund you for the length of your current course, plus one year, minus any years previously spent in higher education. This works backwards from your final year.

So if you want to do a 3 year course but have already had 2 year's funding for an HND they will only fund you for the 3rd and 2nd year of your course.

If you want to do a 3 year course but have already had a year's funding at another uni which you left in the first year, then they will fund you for years' 3, 2 and 1, but thats it. if you repeat a year you fund it yourself.

etc.

It took four rubbish preceding posts but at last thank god someone who knows what they are talking about!
Reply 16
I'm in a similar situation to one of the above posters - did a course several years back but dropped out during the first year - now I want to go back to uni and study a 4 year degree course.

I've just spoken to someone at Student Finance who have confirmed that the maximum entitlement is up to 5 years worth of funding:

If you're doing a 3 year degree, then the formula they use is

(New Degree) 3 Years + 1 Year - Any years previously funded = Entitlement (max 4 years)

If you're doing a 4 year degree, then the formula they use is

(New Degree) 4 Years + 1 Year - Any years previously funded = Entitlement (max 5 years)
screenager2004

etc.

If you do a 4 year degree including a year long placement will you get funding for:

year 1
year 2
year 4

?

Any then you will be entitled to an 2 more years of funding for masters or whatever you want to do?

Thanks in advance :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
MALIK HAMID
If you do a 4 year degree including a year long placement will you get funding for:

year 1
year 2
year 4

?

A four year long degree with a year in industry is only a three-year long degree, as you do not pay tuition fees for your year out. If you have never spent any time at university before, and are eligible for funding, it should be funded.

Any then you will be entitled to an 2 more years of funding for masters or whatever you want to do?

Thanks in advance :smile:

No, the Student Loans NEVER pay for Masters degrees. They fund undergraduate degrees only. You pay for the masters yourself.
screenager2004
A four year long degree with a year in industry is only a three-year long degree, as you do not pay tuition fees for your year out. If you have never spent any time at university before, and are eligible for funding, it should be funded.

No, the Student Loans NEVER pay for Masters degrees. They fund undergraduate degrees only. You pay for the masters yourself.

Ah ok, thanks!