The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Asteron
Firstly, how have the Jews been "racially" abused, and why do you refer to them as a race? Judaism is primarily a religion, not a race.

Secondly, how have the "Jews" voted for anything? Israel may have Judaism as its primary religion, but Israel is clearly a state and not a religion.

Oh Lord... is this really the place?

"How have the Jews been racially abused" - Have you ever heard of the Holocaust?

"Why do you refer to them as a race" - Fine, don't call them a race. That's not my argument/problem. Your post is completely otiose btw; what's the point in picking these holes? Does it counter my argument in anyway?

And Israel is a Jewish State; officially.
Reply 21
Asteron
Firstly, how have the Jews been "racially" abused, and why do you refer to them as a race? Judaism is primarily a religion, not a race.

Secondly, how have the "Jews" voted for anything? Israel may have Judaism as its primary religion, but Israel is clearly a state and not a religion.

This is why the Jews are such good schemers. If you attack their religion it's all "hey man! stop being so racist!" and if you attack their people it's like "hey man, stop being so racist!".

And then they buy your house and **** your wife. Keep an eye open sonny-jim. Jews'll get ya.
Reply 22
They are definitely a race though, primarily. As a race, I dig the jews - they brought us einstein and feynman.

Cool dudes.
mr-tom
They are definitely a race though, primarily. As a race, I dig the jews - they brought us einstein, feynman and bubbles*de*milo..

Cool dudes.

to mention a few.
Reply 24
Rutter knows best!
to mention a few.

Indeed, I swear like half of the Nobel Prize winners were Jews! Selective breeding much?

LOL, just saw your edit.
Rutter knows best!
to mention a few.

I'm Jewish? When did that happen?
Bubbles*de*Milo
I'm Jewish? When did that happen?

A klog iz mir!:woo:
Reply 27
It's like picking which rapist you'd like to take to your daughter's party. They're all going to commit war crimes and get away with it, unfortunately.

It's not surprising that the Israeli citizens have, on the whole, supported the right wing parties more- these are the same people, after all, who think that Israel, despite killing 1400 people (1/3 children) and injuring thousands more did not go too far in Gaza. Link from Haaretz:

Despite pictures from Gaza depicting massive destruction and a large number of wounded and killed, including women and children, 82 percent of the public believe that Israel has not "gone too far" with the military force it is exercising

http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/1055564.html

And the support for the right wing parties increased in the polls gradually as the onslaught on Gaza worsened (see info on same link). So I think it was naive to expect a left wing majority. That said, the views of some of the Zionists or Pro-Israelis on this site, who consider themselves to be left wing in terms of Israeli politics, scare me quite a bit too :/

With Hamas's popularity unfortunately increasing too, I can't see a peaceful solution to the crisis in Gaza any time soon- and the greatest tragedy is that it's the huge number of innocent civilians in Gaza and the smaller amount within rocket-fire distance in Israel that will suffer.
Reply 28
Can I just remind everyone that the People of Gaza chose a party committed to the destruction of Israel, democratically.

The last government were having peace talks with Abbas ,which was getting somewhere. Hamas were obviously opposed to this, as they kept shooting rockets into Israel.

Now tell me why the Israelis wouldn't vote for a right wing party?
Reply 29
Asteron

Read about the Nuremberg laws.
Reply 30
Bubbles*de*Milo
Vote in/Vote for; lets not dip into semantics.
And last I read Kadima supported Civil marriage too, so...

A sizeable minority in this country want the death penalty; they still don't vote in the BNP just because the BNP advocates this... because the rest of the BNP's manifesto is complete trash (and *sigh* no I'm not comparing YB to the BNP, t'is just an example).

YB is a little braver than the BNP becuase they're open about their intentions.

If nothing else, they DO support a 2-state solution (although it's not the solution I would vote for.

I suppport 2 states:

1. Israel - a Jewish state for ALL of its citizens
2. Palestine - a Palestinian state for ALL of its citizens

Lieberman proposes:

1. Israel - a Jewish state for jews (
2. Palestine - a state for arabs

(well, it's a little more nuanced than that but....)
Reply 31
Bismarck
Israel - a state composed of those loyal to Israel
Palestine - a state composed of those loyal to Palestine

Which would be great (sort of) if I actually thought that Lieberman would kick out any anti-zionist jews (which i wouldn't really support anyway, but would probably allay my feelings of him being a racist). I know he hates the religious lot but I can't actually see him kicking anyone out.....hmm......
danielf90
Which would be great (sort of) if I actually thought that Lieberman would kick out any anti-zionist jews (which i wouldn't really support anyway, but would probably allay my feelings of him being a racist). I know he hates the religious lot but I can't actually see him kicking anyone out.....hmm......

I don't see him kicking anyone out frankly.
Reply 33
PeeWeeDan
I don't see him kicking anyone out frankly.

Indeed, if he joins Livni he'll be put in charge of civil marriages (which i am in support of) and if her joins netanyahu he will be head of the housing and building planners (which im wary of - I hope he isn't prejudices against arabs).

He won't get anywhere near foreign affairs or defense, so Im not too worried, tbh.
danielf90
Indeed, if he joins Livni he'll be put in charge of civil marriages (which i am in support of) and if her joins netanyahu he will be head of the housing and building planners (which im wary of - I hope he isn't prejudices against arabs).

He won't get anywhere near foreign affairs or defense, so Im not too worried, tbh.

I damn well hope we get the whole civil marriage thing handled - it's ridiculous... a relic of a long time ago.
Reply 35
Very bad for Israel. They do not understand what they are getting themselves into.
studentbug
Very bad for Israel. They do not understand what they are getting themselves into.

Definitely not, the only leader of the left whom I trust is Ehud Barak and he never stood a chance. Tzipi Livni's tenure in every cabinet position has been a train wreck. I'm glad we chose right.

Bismark
The anti-Zionist Jews aren't loyal to another state.

Just to play devil advocate I am loyal to Israel, far more so than Britain. Although I see the point you are making is that anti-Zionist Jews aren't loyal to another state which Israel is at war or conflict with creating a conflict of interest.
Reply 37
I can't see Netanhayu focusing too hard on peace talks, which despite her actual achievements Livni was always likely to do. It seems clear his focus will be domestic and he will likely halt any peace talks. This of course will not go down well with President Obama.

Then there's the rhetoric he's espousing about Hamas, how he will pursue them, has he not learned from Israel's most recent tirade that it will achieve little. Yes Hamas has discussed an 18 month ceasefire but it will not stick to it, this is overly evident. If it's the case that the military campaign was aiming to target key members of the organisation, then Israel fails to comprehend the psychology of an extremist-nationalist organisation; they are able to easily replace any lost soldiers, any further attacks are just ideological fuel building up the support for Hamas.

The key player in any movement here will be Barack Obama, let's just hope he sticks to his campaign promises.
Komakino
I can't see Netanhayu focusing too hard on peace talks, which despite her actual achievements Livni was always likely to do. It seems clear his focus will be domestic and he will likely halt any peace talks. This of course will not go down well with President Obama.

Then there's the rhetoric he's espousing about Hamas, how he will pursue them, has he not learned from Israel's most recent tirade that it will achieve little. Yes Hamas has discussed an 18 month ceasefire but it will not stick to it, this is overly evident. If it's the case that the military campaign was aiming to target key members of the organisation, then Israel fails to comprehend the psychology of an extremist-nationalist organisation; they are able to easily replace any lost soldiers, any further attacks are just ideological fuel building up the support for Hamas.

The key player in any movement here will be Barack Obama, let's just hope he sticks to his campaign promises.

Netanyahu is intelligent enough to realize that any Palestinian state right now is going to become a terror state which would attack Israeli citizens all across Israel. He realizes that a Palestinian state will eventually be formed, but right now it would sacrifice the safety of the Israeli people, and therefore could not in good conscience give birth to this state.
Reply 39
He realizes that a Palestinian state will eventually be formed, but right now it would sacrifice the safety of the Israeli people, and therefore could not in good conscience give birth to this state.

You suggest that the likelihood of violence would be increased by the founding of an internationally recognised state, what is the basis of your presumption?

Latest

Trending

Trending