The Student Room Group

York PGCE

Hello!

I would love to go to York University to do my Secondary PGCE in English, and wondered if anyone else had been there or could help me to get there?

I need at least a 2:2, my average at the moment is 72, so a first, I plan to keep it that way! I do two afternoons a week volunteering three hours at an after school club. At the club I help with homework, or students who have English as a second language. I help with one Citizenship class a week for Y11 students who aren't predicted to get GCSEs, and I help with one English class a week for Y10 students, in it I help two boys who have English as their second language.

I'm at Northumbria at the moment doing English and Creative Writing. It's a fantastic place for my degree, but isn't prestigious compared to, well York itself. York only has 20 places, what do you think my chances are of getting in? I'm in second year, so obviously have a fair while til September when applications begin, but I need to be prepared!!!

If anyone can help me, please do :smile: All replies welcome.

Amy xx
Hey, I know this is a really late reply, but I figured why not.
I'm at York doing a maths degree and it is a fantastic place. I think that if you're applying for a PGCE then it is more important that you have done relevant work experience and that you are seriously interested in becoming a teacher than where you got a degree from. If at your interview they can see that you are passionate about teaching and that you love your subject then they will definitely be more impressed by you than someone with a first from Oxbridge who is dull and boring.
Good luck. xx

Latest

Trending

Trending