The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm of the opinion Cambridge for sciences.
But then, I'm biased.
I've heard it's the other way round, though I've never heard any justification for this! :smile:
Why would it have to be one or the other?
Reply 4
caroline147
Why would it have to be one or the other?

Doesnt have to be , its just there is some sort of accpeted notion as far as I know that one is a front runner in the arts and the other sciences. Its just I can't remember which way roud its supposed to go.
Im not sure either is true or not, but I've aways heard of Cambridge for science.
Reply 6
Its the other way round as far as I know, but on the league tables Cambridge is above Oxford for everything except for two subjects (I forget which) and second after MIT on world Uni ranking. (this is just hearsay btw - I haven't checked the tables myself)
But - I really don't think it is going to make that much difference, so just apply to whichever you like. In particular, choose Uni according to which course you think you'll enjoy the most for three years.
Craghyrax
Its the other way round as far as I know, but on the league tables Cambridge is above Oxford for everything except for two subjects (I forget which) and second after MIT on world Uni ranking. (this is just hearsay btw - I haven't checked the tables myself)
But - I really don't think it is going to make that much difference, so just apply to whichever you like. In particular, choose Uni according to which course you think you'll enjoy the most for three years.

Which league tables, though? IIRC, The Times has Cambridge at the top for my subject, whereas The Guardian has Oxford at the top. The tables fluctuate so often, they hardly seem to be something to base your university education on.

I'm not there so I can only speak of the few students I know, but having spoken to science undergrads from both universities, they do seem to get a fairly similar education. There may well be a reason for the universities' reputations (Oxford for arts, Cambridge for science) - I think Cambridge has had more scientific achievements in its name, while Oxford has more PMs as alumni, for example - but they're brilliant for both and any difference at undergrad level is going to be negligible in most cases.
Craghyrax
Its the other way round as far as I know, but on the league tables Cambridge is above Oxford for everything except for two subjects (I forget which) and second after MIT on world Uni ranking.

Well Oxford is higher in the Times league table than Cambridge for both Politics and Philosophy, dunno about any others.

And to the OP, the difference is unlikely to be massive at two of the most prestigious universities in the world, and any variations will be between individual departments rather than such broad categories as "arts" and "sciences".
Both Oxford and Cambridge have many notable achievements in science and art.
Reply 10
There isn't really any difference although the stereotype is Cambridge Science, Oxford Arts.
Andy the Anarchist
Well Oxford is higher in the Times league table than Cambridge for both Politics and Philosophy, dunno about any others.

Yep. Those being the two.
StandingOnAir
Which league tables, though?

Which bit of " I haven't looked at any tables myself" wasn't clear? :tongue:
Remember there are major differences between the courses at the two - you can't do PPE at Cambridge for example, but you can do SPS which you can gear towards particular interests. Look in detail at the courses at each and you are likely to find one that stands out, just because it presses your buttons.
Reply 13
Oxford is for decisive scientists, Cambridge is for those who don't really know what they want :tongue:
Reply 14
cpchem
Oxford is for decisive scientists, Cambridge is for those who don't really know what they want :tongue:

:ditto: :biggrin:
Reply 15
cpchem

I know that I definitely don't want a science degree :P
The stereotype that Cambridge for sciences, Oxford for Arts isn't true.

It is largely founded on the fact that Cambridge offer a natural sciences course, whereas Oxford doesn't.
The stereotype that Cambridge for sciences, Oxford for Arts isn't true.
Reply 18
Yeah I've always heard cambridge - sciences and oxford - arts, but it's all meaningless to be honest.
Reply 19
Is it really that meaningless?

I mean Cambridge does have a fair few more scientific discoveries to its name than Oxford.

Using the Nobel Prize as an index; Trinity has won more than Oxford as a whole hasn't it?

Latest

Trending

Trending