The Student Room Group

Engineering gap year ...

hi

Having recently found out from the cambridge applications web page : "while if you are applying for Engineering, many Colleges generally prefer applicants to take a year out, to gain some experience", I am now considering a gap year.

Could someone please help me understand about a gap year suited to engineering. Is it a year of paid work? Unpaid work? Do you stay with the same place for a year or do you visit different organisations? How easy/difficult is it to get a gap year placement in engineering (bearing in mind i'll likely be applying for general engineering)?

many thanks
mitch.
Reply 1
I only know that it is harder right now...with the financial crisis when companies try to cut costs. In general it is not very hard but now it could be challenging. Thats what I know, I guess somebody can add something more useful :smile:
if you're willing to go anywhere in the country, it's really easy.
Reply 3
Mitch92uK
hi

Having recently found out from the cambridge applications web page : "while if you are applying for Engineering, many Colleges generally prefer applicants to take a year out, to gain some experience", I am now considering a gap year.

Could someone please help me understand about a gap year suited to engineering. Is it a year of paid work? Unpaid work? Do you stay with the same place for a year or do you visit different organisations? How easy/difficult is it to get a gap year placement in engineering (bearing in mind i'll likely be applying for general engineering)?

many thanks
mitch.

They are talkin about year in industry i guess as u cant get a proper job (unless voluntary) at an Engineering firm.

The Yini programmes are paid and you can choose your work location. One of my mate works for Rolls Royce in Engine development in Nottingham.
Reply 4
thanks for your reply wizz kid. are those placements 5 days a week, "normal" working hours?

thanks
alexyfoot
I only know that it is harder right now...with the financial crisis when companies try to cut costs. In general it is not very hard but now it could be challenging. Thats what I know, I guess somebody can add something more useful :smile:

I would have to agree with this sadly. I have been calling up companies local to me and they cant afford to hire me for a summer let alone for a full year. Engineering has been hit very very badly by the credit crunch. Years in Industry are a fantastic idea however and should you manage to land one, you have done very well.
Reply 6
Mitch92uK
thanks for your reply wizz kid. are those placements 5 days a week, "normal" working hours?

thanks

Yes. It is like a full time job with actual Engineers from industry.

(Quote me when replying. Makes me feel special :biggrin: )

Latest