The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I know (distantly) a few
My school was suprisingly strict: some people had four grades A*-C and they were not allowed to do A Levels. I think it was in the student's best interest though as they would have probably not coped and despite my school getting below average for GCSEs they have a good 6th form with at least one person going to Oxford/Cambridge each year.
Well At GCSE my grades where as follows
English Lit, English, Media, Bussiness = C
Maths, Science, Music, French, Humanities = D That is 4 GCSE's

Last year I sat my AS Levels, My grades where;
Sociology - B
Media Studies - C
Psyhology - A

GCSE's do not reflect what you can actually do!
AS Levels you are given perfect teaching, specific to your learning, I have achieved so much and I am so greatful for my second chance.
By the way I now have 5 GCSEs i passed my maths 4th time around :-D
Reply 23
emmers1990
Yeah, my (ex)friend got 2 (B in English lit and C in music - I think), now she's at University...doing travel and tourism.

GCSEs matter alot, where prestige of the university/course/career path is concerned. LSE, Cambridge, Oxford, Imperial, UCL, Durham, Edinburgh, KCL, Bristol, York and many others don't consider applicants without a good spread of A* A B GCSEs.

In the Accountancy, Banking, Finance, Law, Medical, IT professions, good grades do matter.

Although for mature students entry requirements differ significantly where ability to cope with the course and work experience plays a vital role.
Reply 24
My school will let you go onto Sixth Form, but you have to resit Maths and English if you got below a C.

Latest