The Student Room Group

A* at A level question thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Hi, I am doing A level maths and further maths.here are the modules i am taking.

C1, C2, C3 and C4 for A level maths
FP1, FP2, FP3 for further maths

and 5 more application modules to get 12 modules overall.

For a level maths i know I need 90%+ in C3 and C4 , but I dont know about further maths. Can anyone help please?

and also, I am doing 5 application modules which can count towards both maths A levels that I am doing, how do they decide which A level module to count each module as?

I am saying this because I might have 90% average in maths and 80% average in further maths - so for example 70% in application modules for maths would give me an A whilst for further maths a B... is it up to us to decide which module to use for each A level?

thank you.
Reply 81
get over 90% over your further maths modules;

i.e M2 S2 FP2, these may not include D1 S1 M1 FP1, other than that i think it's okay
For 1st year of core you oonly need 80% average and for second year you need 90% average for C3 and C4. Do you need 90% average in all FP modules?
vahik92
Hi, I am doing A level maths and further maths.here are the modules i am taking.

C1, C2, C3 and C4 for A level maths
FP1, FP2, FP3 for further maths

and 5 more application modules to get 12 modules overall.

For a level maths i know I need 90%+ in C3 and C4 , but I dont know about further maths. Can anyone help please?

and also, I am doing 5 application modules which can count towards both maths A levels that I am doing, how do they decide which A level module to count each module as?

I am saying this because I might have 90% average in maths and 80% average in further maths - so for example 70% in application modules for maths would give me an A whilst for further maths a B... is it up to us to decide which module to use for each A level?

thank you.

For Further Maths you need to get over 90% average in the 3 A2 modules which are:

FP2 and FP3 and all the applied units not inluding the first in each series i.e. M2, M3, M4, M5, S2, S3, S4, D2

It should be the same system as before where the exam board will decide to give you the best mark for the Maths A Level first before putting the rest of the units in FM.

edit: taken from here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/A-star_grades_at_A-level#What_about_Maths_A-level.3F
Reply 84
So
Fp1,Fp2,Fp3,M3,M4,M5
A2 is Fp2,Fp3,M5 ??
Noefytos

So
Fp1,Fp2,Fp3,M3,M4,M5
A2 is Fp2,Fp3,M5 ??

Well, FP2, FP3, M3, M4, M5 are all A2. The best out of FP2/3, and then the two best out of the FP left over and M3-5, will count towards the 90% condition.

AndersonsBentFoot

For 1st year of core you oonly need 80% average

You actually don't even need that. You need 80% overall instead, which means you can average 75% across the C1, C2, and two applied, and get the 90% in C3 and C4, to scrape the A*.
Neofytos
So
Fp1,Fp2,Fp3,M3,M4,M5
A2 is Fp2,Fp3,M5 ??

All bar FP1. For Further Maths you need at least 3 A2 units. You can have even six of them if you wish though.
Reply 87
Is it worth trying to get <80 at AS for UCAS purposes, or do they only look at the overall A-level grade?
Is it worth trying to get <80 at AS for UCAS purposes, or do they only look at the overall A-level grade?

On your UCAS forum they will see the overall grade. However teacher's predictions may be dependant on how well you've done with your module scores so getting high 80s or even into the 90s in terms of percentage may help you get that A* predicted grade.

If you have really good UCAS scores then teachers may put those down in your reference which definitely helps :smile:
amro105
no, tht has not been updated since last year and my teacher said CIE decided not to do the A star grade this year. I just want confirmation from ANYONE doing biology or another CIE subject whether or not there teachers sed they can achieve the A* grade in A-level this year (june 2010 examinations). please if anyone is doing CIE A2 levels THIS year please reply

It is being awarded from 2010 session.
It's only just come to my attention that I need to get a 90% at A2 rather than on my whole AS level to get the A*.

Its rather annoyed me, as I feel the ******* hard work I put in during my AS Year has not contributed at all to the possibility of getting an A*.

So do you think this unfairly discriminates against those that work hard throughout the course? For example, its possible to score a higher UMS score but get an A than someone who gets an A* with a lower UMS grade (from how i understand it).
Reply 91
I think that AS marks should count towards the A* in some way, but perhaps the marks could be weighted so that the A2 marks have a bit more value?
Reply 92
EierVonSatan
I think part of the reasoning is that it helps prevent people from just resitting the AS modules to obtain a high average. Instead they have to do very well on the A2 component alone (which will include AEA style questions supposedly).

That makes sense, it's just a shame AS units don't count towards it. Given the point you just made, the current system probably selects A* grade students the most effectively.
Reply 93
I think it is a good idea as it has got rid of the situation of people doing really well in AS the not trying during A2. For example, if you got more than 90% in the AS you would only need a C in A2 in order to get an A, which seems a bit ridiculous to me.
Reply 94
It is quite fair and a good move IMO.

The resit culture is just a disgrace especially for subjects like maths where resits of AS units in year 13 can mean that some people only need low As to get the A* if the requirement was 90% overall as you might expect.

The 90% average of A2 units makes it a real challenge and now A-level grades will once again be able to discriminate the best from a very big pool of the very good.
for edexcel its average 90% in C3 & C4, i got 90 on the dot :smile:, and for further maths its A overall and 90 average over 3 modules classed as A2 modules, S2 M2 D2 FP2 are a2 modules whereas M1 FP1 rnt, so u could really mess up fp2 and still get a*
philip.gowland
for edexcel its average 90% in C3 & C4, i got 90 on the dot :smile:, and for further maths its A overall and 90 average over 3 modules classed as A2 modules, S2 M2 D2 FP2 are a2 modules whereas M1 FP1 rnt, so u could really mess up fp2 and still get a*

S3, S4, M3, M4, M5 and FP3 are also classified as A2 modules.
yeah that sounds about right, wishing i were doing M1-5, mechanics is easy compared to stats
Reply 98
philip.gowland
yeah that sounds about right, wishing i were doing M1-5, mechanics is easy compared to stats

lol no way...I find stats much easier! even though I got higher in M2 than S2!
n_251
lol no way...I find stats much easier! even though I got higher in M2 than S2!

ive only done m1 and it is simple, probably even easier than core 1

Quick Reply

Latest