The Student Room Group

A* at A level question thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cocapopsxx
aww okay i have to start somhow but idk how to

What I did was make notes from the spec. Then I condensed the notes onto flashcards near exam time.
Reply 2081
Original post by antigone-
Predicted 2 A*s for History and English Literature! I got 97% and 93% at AS respectively, and seeing as these subjects both include coursework, not all of the stress is on the exam! Hopefully it will all work out, I'm loving the subjects right now though :smile:

How did you get a 97% in history?!?! Are you normal?? :biggrin: Please help those of us that are struggling by sharing you secrets and we want EXACT details please.
Original post by Z212
How did you get a 97% in history?!?! Are you normal?? :biggrin: Please help those of us that are struggling by sharing you secrets and we want EXACT details please.

Somewhat normal I hope, only just beat one of my friends by 1 UMS! I do Edexcel, last year was USA in Asia, Civil Rights and British Political History 1945-90. Currently we do 1920s America and the coursework is on the Cuban Missile Crisis (very eurocentric lol)

I HATED the British unit, the content was good but the source analysis and answer style was horrendously boring. For sources papers the best you can do is learn some basic facts and most importantly practice, practice, practice.

The USA unit was knowledge based and the essay format was basic GCSE style so I found it pretty easy. For this unit the questions are repetitive, so I revised by picking out common question "themes" (i.e. role of the NAACP) and organising my notes into those themes.

I would 100% recommend the my revision notes books if you can get them.

As far as this year, I'm finding it okay. 1920s America seems pretty easy, the content is easy and interesting and the answer style is simple. Lots of knowledge so I can see myself having to do loads of revision but I can worry about that later :tongue:

The coursework has been challenging, luckily I have a really good teacher helping me out!

Have I helped somewhat? Always happy to help! :h:
Reply 2083
Somewhat normal I hope, only just beat one of my friends by 1 UMS! I do Edexcel, last year was USA in Asia, Civil Rights and British Political History 1945-90. Currently we do 1920s America and the coursework is on the Cuban Missile Crisis (very eurocentric lol)

I HATED the British unit, the content was good but the source analysis and answer style was horrendously boring. For sources papers the best you can do is learn some basic facts and most importantly practice, practice, practice.

The USA unit was knowledge based and the essay format was basic GCSE style so I found it pretty easy. For this unit the questions are repetitive, so I revised by picking out common question "themes" (i.e. role of the NAACP) and organising my notes into those themes.

I would 100% recommend the my revision notes books if you can get them.

As far as this year, I'm finding it okay. 1920s America seems pretty easy, the content is easy and interesting and the answer style is simple. Lots of knowledge so I can see myself having to do loads of revision but I can worry about that later :tongue:

The coursework has been challenging, luckily I have a really good teacher helping me out!

Have I helped somewhat? Always happy to help! :h:

Lol yes! I'm doing Edexcel Britain from 1950-2007 right now. What revision books did you use? And also we will keep in in touch throughout the year :colondollar:
Original post by Z212
Lol yes! I'm doing Edexcel Britain from 1950-2007 right now. What revision books did you use? And also we will keep in in touch throughout the year :colondollar:

Oh yeah I forgot that it is linear now! Good luck! :smile:
I'm not sure if this has already been mentioned, but bc there's 100 pages I'm gonna ask it again,

for French/German aqa Alevel, can I get an A* overall if I didn't get 90% in my AS modules?
I always thought I needed 80% overall and 90% in A2 exams, but my teacher said I need 90% at as exams as well
Original post by HPriest98
I'm not sure if this has already been mentioned, but bc there's 100 pages I'm gonna ask it again,

for French/German aqa Alevel, can I get an A* overall if I didn't get 90% in my AS modules?
I always thought I needed 80% overall and 90% in A2 exams, but my teacher said I need 90% at as exams as well

Your teacher is wrong or you have misunderstood what they have told you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HPriest98
I always thought I needed 80% overall and 90% in A2 exams,l

Absolutely correct for domestic A levels (AQA, CCEA, Edexcel, OCR, WJEC) but I believe it is different for CIE.
Great thanks guys, I thought so (:
Original post by KrisD98
I had extenuating circumstances, but if I get them results do you think that's impressive?

Don't let anyone tell you that you can't achieve a certain grade if you work very HARD and SMART you can get the grades you want. At the end if the day you're the one that decides what grades you'll get. Don't worry about your GCSE's disabling you from getting into a top uni my friend goes to Harris Westminster and one of the teachers that works there got mainly C's and no A's at GCSE but was able to get amazing A- levels and get into Cambridge. I recommend typing into YouTube 'How to revise effectivly ' and watch some videos from there. A YouTuber called Jameomills and SimonOxphys have some really good revision videos that you should watch.

I also recommend the book called 'How to Ace your A-Levels' its really inspirational.
For biology and chemistry, is your coursework mark at AS included in the overall calculation of your UMS average, and would not getting an A mean you could not get an A* at A2, even if you have an A in your other two AS units? Or is it just an average of a A over all three units?
Original post by Julia3
For biology and chemistry, is your coursework mark at AS included in the overall calculation of your UMS average, and would not getting an A mean you could not get an A* at A2, even if you have an A in your other two AS units? Or is it just an average of a A over all three units?

For the outgoing specifications the rules are the same for all A levels (apart from maths) and coursework counts as just another unit. (For 6 unit A levels) you need:

At least 480 UMS overall

At least 270 UMS from the A2 units.

If you fulfill the criteria above you will get an A*.
You do not need an A in every unit, or an A at AS. In fact you could get 0 in the AS coursework and still get an A*.

For the new A levels I don't yet know the exact rules for an A* but the practicals are pass/fail and do not otherwise contribute to your grade.
Original post by Compost
For the outgoing specifications the rules are the same for all A levels (apart from maths) and coursework counts as just another unit. (For 6 unit A levels) you need:

At least 480 UMS overall

At least 270 UMS from the A2 units.

If you fulfill the criteria above you will get an A*.
You do not need an A in every unit, or an A at AS. In fact you could get 0 in the AS coursework and still get an A*.

For the new A levels I don't yet know the exact rules for an A* but the practicals are pass/fail and do not otherwise contribute to your grade.

Thank you :smile:
I am doing IAL therefore instead of doing C3 an C4 separately, I do C34, thus what is the overall ums I need to get an A* in Maths

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PlayerBB
I am doing IAL therefore instead of doing C3 an C4 separately, I do C34, thus what is the overall ums I need to get an A* in Maths

Posted from TSR Mobile

The same as the uk A level. It's a 600 ums qualification you need 480 ums that includes at least 180 ums from the C34 paper.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gdunne42
The same as the uk A level. It's a 600 ums qualification you need 480 ums that includes at least 180 ums from the C34 paper.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do you guys find the Cornell note taking system valuable??
Original post by Zara0526
Do you guys find the Cornell note taking system valuable??

I personally hate it, but if you're working on a topic which is really difficult I can see why it would be useful :smile:
I personally hate it, but if you're working on a topic which is really difficult I can see why it would be useful :smile:

Yeah, I was only planning to use it for Biology as i've been struggling to understand the topics and finding the will power to then go over them. I'm not sure if it will be beneficial or a waste of time :frown:
Original post by Zara0526
Yeah, I was only planning to use it for Biology as i've been struggling to understand the topics and finding the will power to then go over them. I'm not sure if it will be beneficial or a waste of time :frown:

Won't know until you try :wink:

I'm just really lazy so even regular note taking bores me tbh but the summary aspect of Cornell notes requires understanding of the topic so would be beneficial for harder topics

I'll probably try it at some point :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest