The Student Room Group

A* at A level question thread

Scroll to see replies

Mitch92uK
Quick question, for science A levels do the coursework exams count toward the 90% average?

Cheers

If they are graded and you are given UMS marks for them, then I reckon
they are.
Reply 201
Anyone know if its 480/600 overall and 180/200 for c3+c4 for the CCEA board? ( northern Ireland)
just checked the website and could see nothing about it.
If it is the case it could mean i would just need 34/100 in my s1 test in june and 88/100 in c4
ATM i have 88/100c1, 79/100 c2, 99/100 m1, 92/100 c3
The only thing i'm worried abou is... what if ccea is over 80 in all units and average of 90 in c3/c4
Because it would mean i would have to repeat c2
Pay attention in class
Do the practice questions in the book
Do past papers
180 UMS from C3 and C4.
Master all the past-papers for your exam board.

Once complete, start tackling Solomon Press Papers.
Listen in class
Revise notes
Do past papers
Revise some more
Do more past papers
Masturbate to clear your head
And so on...
You use the search function.
Hectic - practice, practice, practice I'm always told.
Does FP2 have to be one of the 3 A2 modules for an A* in Further Maths?

I'm leaning towards yes because FP2 has to be submitted as one of your 3 A2 units regardless of what you do, so it would count towards the A2 award of A*, but I haven't seen any board specifically say that (they just say 'best 3 A2 modules'). Doing OCR MEI, not that that matters.
If am doing S2 as well as C3 and C4 at A-level, do I have to get 90% or over on S2 to get A* in A-level mathematics.
arfan_2010
If am doing S2 as well as C3 and C4 at A-level, do I have to get 90% or over on S2 to get A* in A-level mathematics.

No.
Reply 211
You can get an A* even if you're on like an average b in AS, if you get two marks in the 90s in A2 (C3 and C4) and it brings your whole A level average up to over 80% overall.

eg. C1 75 C2 75 C3 90 C4 90 S1 75 M1 75
average in a2 modules 90%
average overall 80% (would get an a*)
wait what?

i thought for an A* all you needed was an A at AS, then around 90% (depending on the subject) for an A*.

is there anything im missing? :s
Reply 213
i was talking to my friend today and we were unsure whether an A* grade was merely what you got in the a2 modules, or above 90% of your a2 and as modules put together??

so hypothetically if i got a C in AS then 90% in a2 would i get an A* just because i got above 90% in my A2 units?

thanks
Over 80% average overall, then over 90% average in your A2 modules.
Reply 215
Amit92
Hey,

Can someone explain on how to get an A* in A-level Maths please? Ive heard so many different things like...

- Getting it by getting 70% at AS-level Minimum and 90% at A2 with 90% average in C3/C4.

- 80% at AS-level and 90% in A2 with 90% average in C3/C4.

Thanks.

The second one is correct.
_Gary_
Anyone know if its 480/600 overall and 180/200 for c3+c4 for the CCEA board? ( northern Ireland)

Yes, all boards use the same criteria (Except CIE of course which are seperate from the mainstream UK A levels)

Game_boy
Does FP2 have to be one of the 3 A2 modules for an A* in Further Maths?

No it doesn't have to be one, it's your best 3 A2 module results that earn you the A*
Rayman45
The second one is correct.

No it isn't but the post above yours is, given that the A2 modules are defined as C3 & C4 for maths.
Reply 218
Good bloke
No it isn't but the post above yours is, given that the A2 modules are defined as C3 & C4 for maths.

Oh right. Sorry.

I seen the thread and asked my brother and that is what he said.
So say if in A2 Maths you got a 90% average in C3 and C4, but below 90% in your applied module (but an A overall), would you get an A*?

Quick Reply

Latest