The Student Room Group

A* at A level question thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by highschool
Hi everyone. Does anyone know the requirement for an A* in Chem? I got a 160/200 in my AS which is exactly an A grade. Should I resit a unit from AS or is there no need if I can get 90% average on the A2 units?

At least 480/600 UMS overall and at at least 270/300 UMS form the A2 units. There is no point re-sitting AS to increase your chances of an A*, plus you would now have to pay late fees to enter
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Compost
At least 480/600 UMS overall and at at least 270/300 UMS form the A2 units. There is no point re-sitting AS to increase your chances of an A*, plus you would now have to pay late fees to eneter

@CompostNah my school hasn't said I'd need to pay late fees. But yeah, I think it doesn't make a difference. I still have to get 90% average at A2 (270/300) no matter how well I did in AS and since I got an A already it should be alright. So I probably won't resit, I'll just aim for the 90 % average. What do others think?
Original post by highschool
@CompostNah my school hasn't said I'd need to pay late fees

The exam boards all started charging late fees on 22 February (as they do every year).
I got 90/120 UMS in 1 unit of AS Is it in anyway possible that I get a A* overall in the combined A level without repeating
Yeah my question was exactly the same. I got an 82/120, then 98/120 and 60/60 and that meant I got an A in AS. To get an A* it doesn't matter what exactly you got in AS but your overall should be 80% across AS and A2. And your A2 should have an average of 90%.
Original post by tsrthrowaway
I got 90/120 UMS in 1 unit of AS Is it in anyway possible that I get a A* overall in the combined A level without repeating

What did you get in the other unit(s)? Remember the A* is based on A2 modules, so you only need enough UMS at AS to get you an A grade overall, all modules combined
Original post by rileystringer1
What did you get in the other unit(s)? Remember the A* is based on A2 modules, so you only need enough UMS at AS to get you an A grade overall, all modules combined

As long as you got at least 180/300 overall then an A* is possible without re-sitting anything.
for my AS chemistry I got 237/300 which was a B (3 UMS of an A) does that mean even if I get 90% in my A2 I wouldn't be be to get an A* overall? Thanks in advance
Original post by RedLeaf
for my AS chemistry I got 237/300 which was a B (3 UMS of an A) does that mean even if I get 90% in my A2 I wouldn't be be to get an A* overall? Thanks in advance

No - have a read of the OP. You don't necessarily need to score an A at AS - rather, you have to average an A over the full A-Level (i.e. 80%) and average 90% over the A2 units to score the A*.
Original post by RedLeaf

If you get 90% in A2 that equates to 270/300. So 270+237=507 ums which is more than 80% overall hence you can get the A*.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am currently doing A2 3D Design and I really want an A*, but for AS I got a B 159/200 which is only a mark off an A, so is it possible to get an A*?
Since some people are saying it is not possible and some saying it can be done, but I need 200/200 in A2 and the grade boundaries have to go down right? I am confused :frown:
Reply 2191
Original post by yuveethini
I am currently doing A2 3D Design and I really want an A*, but for AS I got a B 159/200 which is only a mark off an A, so is it possible to get an A*?
Since some people are saying it is not possible and some saying it can be done, but I need 200/200 in A2 and the grade boundaries have to go down right? I am confused :frown:

You need to get 90% in A2 and 80% overall to get an A* unless you are with CIE because I belive they are different.

Anyway all you need is 180/200 and you will get an A* because that would give you 339/400 which is will above the 320/400 you would need to get 80% overall.

You would only need 200/200 if you scored 120/200 in AS which would be scraping a C
Original post by Aph
You need to get 90% in A2 and 80% overall to get an A* unless you are with CIE because I belive they are different.

Anyway all you need is 180/200 and you will get an A* because that would give you 339/400 which is will above the 320/400 you would need to get 80% overall.

You would only need 200/200 if you scored 120/200 in AS which would be scraping a C

Ohh yess :biggrin: that makes more sense. Thank you!!!
Hey guys

I did C1 C2 and m1 for AS and want to do C3 C4 S1 M2 for A2. How will my final A level grade be calculated?
Original post by anonymousawesome
Hey guys

I did C1 C2 and m1 for AS and want to do C3 C4 S1 M2 for A2. How will my final A level grade be calculated?

They will use C1-C4 and the best two units out of the applied ones.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2195
Original post by anonymousawesome
Hey guys

Original post by s_ahmed2
They will use C1-C4 and the best two units out of the applied ones.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not quite... C1-4 and M1 will be included. Then either S1 or M2 based on the score. You can't have S1 and M2 together as part of your A-level maths
Hi. Does anyone know if you can get an A* in ALevel biology (ocr) if you have an A in all the AS units, 90% overall at A2, but 35/40 (B) in the controlled assessment unit (f216) at A2??
Original post by Terrificmagenta
Hi. Does anyone know if you can get an A* in ALevel biology (ocr) if you have an A in all the AS units, 90% overall at A2, but 35/40 (B) in the controlled assessment unit (f216) at A2??

F216 is out of 60. But the answer is yes - you have 90% at A2 so nothing else about your A2 marks is relevant.
Thank youu
Original post by Compost
F216 is out of 60. But the answer is yes - you have 90% at A2 so nothing else about your A2 marks is relevant.
Reply 2199
One question: For AS I got one ums off an A (159) I was just wondering if it is still possible to get an A* considering my Paper 3 is 100? and Paper 4 around 90 ish

Quick Reply

Latest