The Student Room Group

A* at A level question thread

Scroll to see replies

I'm sorta confused at my AS average. I got (all UMS)
C1: 83
C2: 87
S1: 100

If I include S1, I have an average of 90%. If I don't, I have an average of 85%. My school give an automatic A* prediction if I have 90% average at AS so is it 90% or 85%?
Original post by Lewishier
I'm sorta confused at my AS average. I got (all UMS)
C1: 83
C2: 87
S1: 100

If I include S1, I have an average of 90%. If I don't, I have an average of 85%. My school give an automatic A* prediction if I have 90% average at AS so is it 90% or 85%?

It's 270/300 so yeah it's 90%

Regardless your college should give you a grade one above achieved.

An automatic from 90% is because of the average needed from C3 and C4
Original post by Maths is Life
It's 270/300 so yeah it's 90%

Regardless your college should give you a grade one above achieved.

An automatic from 90% is because of the average needed from C3 and C4

Thanks! My school don't usually give a grade higher because most people get almost all As at AS and it would be ridiculous for the majority of the year to have a few A* predictions. They base it on how high your AS grades are. I'm not sure what they're doing this year because they don't have UMS but I know that the procedure for maths hasn't changed.
hi :smile: I got A*A*A* in maths, further maths and physics so if anyone has any questions about maths, further maths or physics, feel free to ask :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by loveire&song
hi :smile: I got A*A*A* in maths, further maths and physics so if anyone has any questions about them, feel free to ask :smile:

The question that should be answered.
You university choices
10 years later...
The question that should be answered.
You university choices

As in, where I applied to etc?

Applied for an MPhys at Oxford, Durham, Lancaster, Exeter and York - got rejected from Oxford for Physics (I was one mark short in the pat apparently! :frown: I don't really mind though :wink: was worth a shot!), but an offer for Materials, and offers from the rest.

I decided I didn't want to do materials, went round Durham and hated it, so ended up firming Lancaster (A*AA). I love Lancaster and I managed to get a £2000 academic + £1000 physics scholarship after my results, so it's a win win! :tongue:
As in, where I applied to etc?

Applied for an MPhys at Oxford, Durham, Lancaster, Exeter and York - got rejected from Oxford for Physics (I was one mark short in the pat apparently! :frown: I don't really mind though :wink: was worth a shot!), but an offer for Materials, and offers from the rest.

I decided I didn't want to do materials, went round Durham and hated it, so ended up firming Lancaster (A*AA). I love Lancaster and I managed to get a £2000 academic + £1000 physics scholarship after my results, so it's a win win! :tongue:

Nice scholarship dude - you shouldn't give a **** about oxford - overrated and lancaster definitely wont make your qualification any pess valuable.

- Thinking of doing a masters?
Simply put yeah it's 500UMS 👍

No it's not. It's 480UMS and at least 270 from A2 units (or 180 from C3 & C4 for Maths).
Nice scholarship dude - you shouldn't give a **** about oxford - overrated and lancaster definitely wont make your qualification any pess valuable.

- Thinking of doing a masters?

Thank you very much! Did you do A levels this year? Where are you going / planning to go / currently at? I'm assuming you want to / are doing maths :tongue:

Yup, I applied for all MPhys's in straight physics. Thinking of changing to theoretical though - luckily they have a common first year, so I can see if I'm as sh*t at university lab work as I was at school practicals! :tongue:
Thank you very much! Did you do A levels this year? Where are you going / planning to go / currently at? I'm assuming you want to / are doing maths :tongue:

Yup, I applied for all MPhys's in straight physics. Thinking of changing to theoretical though - luckily they have a common first year, so I can see if I'm as sh*t at university lab work as I was at school practicals! :tongue:

I still hold an interest in physics however I did economics and further maths with
AAB at AS

588UMS in maths
C3 screwed me over with mistakes and me not knowing how simple a common chord is in C2
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Compost
No it's not. It's 480UMS and at least 270 from A2 units (or 180 from C3 & C4 for Maths).

Yeah sorry I though it was just Maths not FM
I've read through the end of this thread but am just so confused by how you get an A* at A level Maths...

In my AS results I just got:

C1- 97/100 UMS
C2- 83/100 UMS
S1- 79/100 UMS

Next year I'm doing C3, C4 (obviously) and Decision 1. What do I need to do for an A*? And should I resit S1/C2? It's my own fault I got a B in stats, because I had all of half term to practice and just couldn't be bothered at all

Posted from TSR Mobile
How do you get an A* in AQA law?

For AS i got 151 UMS, which is a B, but I'm resitting one unit so i can get that up to an A.

I've seen on grade boundaries that AQA actually have an A* boundary, do i just need to achieve these on each paper? I'm pretty confused.
Original post by BR1999
How do you get an A* in AQA law?.

The rules are the same for all domestic boards, all subjects. For an A* you need at least 320/400UMS overall and at least 180 from the A2 units. How those marks are split between the units does not matter.
Original post by JakeMuttitt
I've read through the end of this thread but am just so confused by how you get an A* at A level Maths...

In my AS results I just got:

C1- 97/100 UMS
C2- 83/100 UMS
S1- 79/100 UMS

Next year I'm doing C3, C4 (obviously) and Decision 1. What do I need to do for an A*? And should I resit S1/C2? It's my own fault I got a B in stats, because I had all of half term to practice and just couldn't be bothered at all

Posted from TSR Mobile

A* in A level Maths is at least an 80UMS average in the 2 core units and applied units - 320/400UMS
AND a 90UMS average from C3 and C4 - 180/200 UMS

Simply put all units need to average out at a A along with no more than 20UMS lost for C3 and C4 combined
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by JakeMuttitt

Very simple, you need at least 480/600 UMS overall and at least 180/200 from C3 and C4. How those UMS are split doesn't matter, so it is technically possible to get an A* having scored 0 on a unit as long as it's not C3 or C4
(Maths is Life is wrong, you do not need 320 from the 4 units other than C3 and C4, You could get away with as few as 280).
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Compost
Very simple, you need at least 480/600 UMS overall and at least 180/200 from C3 and C4. How those UMS are split doesn't matter, so it is technically possible to get an A* having scored 0 on a unit as long as it's not C3 or C4
(Maths is Life is wrong, you do not need 320 from the 4 units other than C3 and C4, You could get away with as few as 280).

Okay, thank you 😁

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Compost
The rules are the same for all domestic boards, all subjects. For an A* you need at least 320/400UMS overall and at least 180 from the A2 units. How those marks are split between the units does not matter.

Thank you! Does the same apply for the new linear subjects?
Original post by BR1999
Thank you! Does the same apply for the new linear subjects?

New linear subjects don't have UMS and the AS doesn't contribute to the A level, so the A* will just be decided to getting more than a certain mark on the A level exams.

Quick Reply

Latest