The Student Room Group

A* at A level question thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 880
Original post by Good bloke
The very first post in this thread gives you the answer. Read it.

I have read it, and I took it to mean that you just needed an A overall without taking individual modules into account. Yet I have heard different things from all my teachers at school who I expected to know, and wanted to hear from someone here who could confirm it for me instead of just referring me to a bunch of questions that I wasn't fully sure answered my question. Thanks for the help..
Original post by Amy-Rose
I have read it, and I took it to mean that you just needed an A overall without taking individual modules into account.

You have understood it correctly. Anyone who tells you anything different is wrong. Why not believe the OP in the first place? It is perfectly authoritative.
My Maths teacher said that you had to get 80% overall at AS, and at least 90% on A2. Thats all fine and well as thats what everyone else is saying, but he says that on top of that you need to score AT LEAST 540/600 UMS overall by the end of A2. Is he mistaken? 540 overall means you have to score over 90% on AS as well as A2.

My exam board is AQA - the 540 bit just doesn't make sense but it feels weird to tell him that he is wrong? lol
Original post by DonWorryJockIsHere
My Maths teacher said that you had to get 80% overall at AS, and at least 90% on A2. Thats all fine and well as thats what everyone else is saying, but he says that on top of that you need to score AT LEAST 540/600 UMS overall by the end of A2. Is he mistaken? 540 overall means you have to score over 90% on AS as well as A2.

My exam board is AQA - the 540 bit just doesn't make sense but it feels weird to tell him that he is wrong? lol

The correct answer is still in the OP.
Reply 884
Original post by Good bloke
You have understood it correctly. Anyone who tells you anything different is wrong. Why not believe the OP in the first place? It is perfectly authoritative.

Thank you. I understand that it may be annoying to have people constantly asking questions that are simply in the first post, but people are allowed to ask questions if they are still unsure, which I was, so sorry if I have annoyed you, but usually I'd deem A Level teachers to be perfectly authoritative, which clearly they are not.
Original post by Amy-Rose
I'd deem A Level teachers to be perfectly authoritative, which clearly they are not.

Carnationlilyrose shines out as a paragon of virtue among teachers when it come to advice about the A level system and UCAS applications including personal statements. For some reason the general standard of knowledge and advice from teachers is very low. You need to start differentiating good advice from bad, and discriminating between sources.
umm sorry about this but I am new to the site and have no idea how to start a thread? could someone please tell me? :smile:
I will try delete this after so it is not in the way :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by languagegeek

You go to a relevant forum, such as this one, and look for the orange 'create new thread' button on the left hand side of the page below any sub-forums.

Oh, and you can't delete posts :wink:
Original post by porkstein
You go to a relevant forum, such as this one, and look for the orange 'create new thread' button on the left hand side of the page below any sub-forums.

I feel so dumb now :colondollar:
But thank you! And sorry for the interruption :smile:
Reply 889
Original post by porkstein

Yes, you can. Just click on edit and then delete.
Original post by Gemini92
Yes, you can. Just click on edit and then delete.

I feel so dumb now :colondollar:

Been here over two years and never figured that one out... Suddenly I know why people quote posts I didn't remember reading...
I need some advice-

In AS - I got A,A and B. This means I just got an A overall for AS. To get an A* all I need to do is get 180/200 UMS on Core 3 and 4 next year correct?

However I am a little concious that if I do this I am on the bare minimum for an A*, if they were to increase the grade boundaries for A* next year it will mean I may not get an A* even though I met the requirements for this year?

Should I resit the B (It was a high B I was 3 marks from an A) in order to compensate for the fact that they may change the grade boundaries for A* next year? Or should I be OK if I meet the requirements for this year?
Do you need to get an A in all of your modules (both AS & A2) to get an A* overall? Or could you get say, AB in your AS modules and then go on to get 90%+ in both a2 modules. Would this give you an A*? This isn't in relation to maths, apologies if this has already been asked.
Reply 893
Original post by British_Student^^
Do you need to get an A in all of your modules (both AS & A2) to get an A* overall? Or could you get say, AB in your AS modules and then go on to get 90%+ in both a2 modules. Would this give you an A*? This isn't in relation to maths, apologies if this has already been asked.

No, you don't. You just need an 80% overall average with a 90% average at A2. Your individual module grades don't matter as long as you satisfy these conditions.
I need some advice-

In AS - I got A,A and B. This means I just got an A overall for AS. To get an A* all I need to do is get 180/200 UMS on Core 3 and 4 next year correct?

However I am a little concious that if I do this I am on the bare minimum for an A*, if they were to increase the grade boundaries for A* next year it will mean I may not get an A* even though I met the requirements for this year?

Should I resit the B (It was a high B I was 3 marks from an A) in order to compensate for the fact that they may change the grade boundaries for A* next year? Or should I be OK if I meet the requirements for this year?

I haven't heard anything about them changing the A* grade? And if there was something, I can't imagine it would apply to you if you had started your A levels already, so I wouldn't worry about that.

You'll need 480/600 over the 6 modules, and yep, 180/200 UMS in C3 + C4.

Whether you retake or not is really up to you, you don't need to get an A, but you will need 480 UMS overall so it depends on how confident you are at meeting that, and whether you thinking you have a good chance of improving your UMS, or whether you think you even need to. You'll get the A* if you meet the requirements, don't worry about that :wink:

Original post by British_Student^^

You don't need A's in all your modules no, that is just a false rumour. All you need is 80% average over AS + A2, and 90% average over A2, whether than means you get even a U in one of your AS modules, then so be it, you can still get that A* :wink:
Original post by Andy Ftw

You don't need A's in all your modules no, that is just a false rumour. All you need is 80% average over AS + A2, and 90% average over A2, whether than means you get even a U in one of your AS modules, then so be it, you can still get that A* :wink:

Thank you :biggrin:
Reply 896
I need some advice-

I would have thought that if you can obtain the 180/200 for the A* then the overall mark will be over 480. What marks did you gte in the other modules you got As in?
I am still confused and need help!

I've just taken AS levels and have scored ---

English - 176/200 UMS marks (whole course is out of 400)

Economics - 172/200 UMS marks (whole course is out of 400; unit 1 I scored 80/100 and unit 2 I scored 92/100)

Psychology - 172/200 UMS marks (whole course is out of 400; unit 1 I scored 78/100 and unit 2 I scored 94/100).

Based on this, what UMS do I need to get A*s in my subjects???? I am very confused!
Reply 898
Original post by datmadhatter
I am still confused and need help!

I've just taken AS levels and have scored ---

English - 176/200 UMS marks (whole course is out of 400)

Economics - 172/200 UMS marks (whole course is out of 400; unit 1 I scored 80/100 and unit 2 I scored 92/100)

Psychology - 172/200 UMS marks (whole course is out of 400; unit 1 I scored 78/100 and unit 2 I scored 94/100).

Based on this, what UMS do I need to get A*s in my subjects???? I am very confused!

You need at least 180 UMS in each subject at A2 to get the A*, as that would satisfy the 90% at A2 condition and the 80% overall condition.
(edited 12 years ago)
180/200 at A2.

Quick Reply

Latest