A* at A level question thread

Announcements Posted on
Study Help needs new mods! 14-04-2014
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AishaTara)
    Hey guys,
    so if I just scraped As, in my AS levels, and then got 90% in science A2 modules, it would be an A*. So having a high A at AS, won't make it easier to get an A* at A2, because you need atleast 90% - is this right? so 90% at AS, and 78% at A2 wouldn't be an A*? because the A2 isn't 90%+

thanks in advance
    Correct. As far as an A* goes, anything over 70% in AS is wasted effort as you only need to average 80% in the whole A level. Since you have to average at least 90% in the A2 units you don't need more than 70% in the AS (assuming you can still raise your game to 90% after that).
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AishaTara)
    Hey guys,
    so if I just scraped As, in my AS levels, and then got 90% in science A2 modules, it would be an A*. So having a high A at AS, won't make it easier to get an A* at A2, because you need atleast 90% - is this right? so 90% at AS, and 78% at A2 wouldn't be an A*? because the A2 isn't 90%+

thanks in advance
    Yeh basically.

You only need 70% at AS, because you have to get 90% at A2 to get an A* anyway. In this situation you'd have 80% overall for your A level (which gets you an A) and have 90% at A2 (which gets you an A*).

But obviously if you only got 70% at AS and then slip up a bit at A2 then you might not get an A, because you wouldn't have 80% for your A level.
    • 27 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Data)
    Correct. As far as an A* goes, anything over 70% in AS is wasted effort as you only need to average 80% in the whole A level. Since you have to average at least 90% in the A2 units you don't need more than 70% in the AS (assuming you can still raise your game to 90% after that).
    (Original post by SaintSoldier)
    Yeh basically.

You only need 70% at AS, because you have to get 90% at A2 to get an A* anyway. In this situation you'd have 80% overall for your A level (which gets you an A) and have 90% at A2 (which gets you an A*).

But obviously if you only got 70% at AS and then slip up a bit at A2 then you might not get an A, because you wouldn't have 80% for your A level.
    Ah thank you for this
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Can someone please tell me the requirements to get an A* in chemistry and biology (AQA for both)? I need to know this to decide on my firm. My teachers are giving me varied answers.

One teacher said i need 80% in AS and 90+% in A2 for chemistry. The other said i need 90% average over AS and A2 for biology which sounds ridiculous.

I got 255 (85%) ums for both in AS. Does that mean i need to get 95% for bio and 90% for chem?
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by studentofskhs)
    Can someone please tell me the requirements to get an A* in chemistry and biology (AQA for both)? I need to know this to decide on my firm. My teachers are giving me varied answers.

One teacher said i need 80% in AS and 90+% in A2 for chemistry. The other said i need 90% average over AS and A2 for biology which sounds ridiculous.

I got 255 (85%) ums for both in AS. Does that mean i need to get 95% for bio and 90% for chem?
    The requirements are 80% average overall including 90% average at A2 for all subjects. (Except maths and further maths which are a bit different due to how they're structured.)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gemini92)
    The requirements are 80% average overall including 90% average at A2 for all subjects. (Except maths and further maths which are a bit different due to how they're structured.)
    So this is for all exam boards? If so then I fell more assured. Thx for the quick reply.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by studentofskhs)
    So this is for all exam boards? If so then I fell more assured. Thx for the quick reply.
    Yes, it's true for all exam boards.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes, it's true for all exam boards.
    Except for CIE where its 90% average over AS and A2
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Azland)
    Except for CIE where its 90% average over AS and A2
    It is true for all UK domestic exam boards as these all follow the rules set out by OFQUAL or agreed between them. CIE is not an option for state school educated students in the UK.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    can anyone comfirm my knowledge? for all alevels:

you need 80% in your whole alevel including 90% in all a2 modules to get an a* overall is this correct?

and if it is.. what is the rules for getting an a* in maths edexcel?
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Theafricanlegend)
    can anyone comfirm my knowledge? for all alevels:

you need 80% in your whole alevel including 90% in all a2 modules to get an a* overall is this correct?

and if it is.. what is the rules for getting an a* in maths edexcel?
    For all subjects except maths and further maths, you need an 80% average overall including a 90% average at A2. The individual module results do not matter, only the averages.

For maths, you need an 80% average overall including a 90% average between C3 and C4. Again, the individual module results do not matter, just the averages.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    For all subjects except maths and further maths, you need an 80% average overall including a 90% average at A2. The individual module results do not matter, only the averages.

For maths, you need an 80% average overall including a 90% average between C3 and C4. Again, the individual module results do not matter, just the averages.
    How about M2? is my mark in that included in the 90% average of c3 and c4?:eek:
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Theafricanlegend)
    How about M2? is my mark in that included in the 90% average of c3 and c4?:eek:
    No, the 90% average is only in C3 and C4.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I need some help about how the A* in CIE A level calculated.
    I'm taking A2 Business Studies, A2 Maths, Both AS and A2 Physics and an AS Economics.

I'd like to achieve the best result I can get so I'm aiming at A* but I don't know how it's calculated. I'd be grateful if someone give me a clear picture about threshold to get A* in
    Maths, Business, Eco and Physics.
    My friends tell me in class that every subject 95% overall. Some says 90%, some says depends on threshold/subjects.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anneihtseme)
    Hi, I need some help about how the A* in CIE A level calculated.
    I'm taking A2 Business Studies, A2 Maths, Both AS and A2 Physics and an AS Economics.

I'd like to achieve the best result I can get so I'm aiming at A* but I don't know how it's calculated. I'd be grateful if someone give me a clear picture about threshold to get A* in
    Maths, Business, Eco and Physics.
    My friends tell me in class that every subject 95% overall. Some says 90%, some says depends on threshold/subjects.
    Every subject has a total number of raw marks from all the papers combined. Example : Paper 1 = 60 Paper 2 = 40 Paper 3 = 100. Total 200. To get an A* your total marks would need to reach a certain point which changes every session based on exam difficulty. The total marks for Math is 250 and generally the A* Threshold floats between 225-230 or 220-230. For what it's worth I did CIE business, Econ and Math aswell. Feel free to ask me any questions you might have.

Also, what were your AS Grades and UMS If I may ask? It might help me guide you better as to how much you need to achieve in A2.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I have had conflicting advice from college teachers, advisors and mark schemes on the painful subject of grade boundaries. I have two questions to ask on where the lines are drawn.

Firstly, regarding A* grades at A-Level, I know that "over 90% of marks" are required in the A2 modules. But I am confused in what combination they are necessary. I got an 89/100 UMS on my last Philosophy exam - would a 95/100 on the next one cancel this out and bag me the A* or are 90% marks needed in BOTH modules? This doesn't seem to make sense if true - logically, a total of 184/200 would then NOT be an A* if spread over the two modules, but 180/200 WOULD if it were made up of two '90' marks.

Sticking with A*s, the stipulation for "90% of marks at A2, at least 80% of UMS overall" is slightly confusing. I received 76 and 77 in my AS law exams but have improved substantially on past papers - if I received 95, for example, on each of the next two modules, would that be considered an A or an A*?

Apologies for the shocking naivety of this querey but other, official channels have left me with nothing but confusion and disarray. Any help that can be provided is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
    • 61 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GoodFella2024)
    Hello,

I have had conflicting advice from college teachers, advisors and mark schemes on the painful subject of grade boundaries. I have two questions to ask on where the lines are drawn.

Firstly, regarding A* grades at A-Level, I know that "over 90% of marks" are required in the A2 modules. But I am confused in what combination they are necessary. I got an 89/100 UMS on my last Philosophy exam - would a 95/100 on the next one cancel this out and bag me the A* or are 90% marks needed in BOTH modules? This doesn't seem to make sense if true - logically, a total of 184/200 would then NOT be an A* if spread over the two modules, but 180/200 WOULD if it were made up of two '90' marks.
    It's an average of at least 90% in the A2 parts, so you can get less than 90% in one exam as long as the average is brought back to at least 90% by other exams. 89/100 and 95/100 would be fine for an A* since the average is 92%.

Sticking with A*s, the stipulation for "90% of marks at A2, at least 80% of UMS overall" is slightly confusing. I received 76 and 77 in my AS law exams but have improved substantially on past papers - if I received 95, for example, on each of the next two modules, would that be considered an A or an A*?
    It would be an A*. What you get in the AS parts doesn't matter as long as the average from your AS and A2 parts combined is at least 80%, so 60% at AS and 100% at A2 would still be an A*.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potally_Tissed)
    It's an average of at least 90% in the A2 parts, so you can get less than 90% in one exam as long as the average is brought back to at least 90% by other exams. 89/100 and 95/100 would be fine for an A* since the average is 92%.

It would be an A*. What you get in the AS parts doesn't matter as long as the average from your AS and A2 parts combined is at least 80%, so 60% at AS and 100% at A2 would still be an A*.
    To add to this; anything above 70% at AS poses absolutely NO benefit to getting an A* at A-level; with the rare exception being Maths (as one of your A2 modules isn't counted for the A* calculation).
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hassi94)
    To add to this; anything above 70% at AS poses absolutely NO benefit to getting an A* at A-level; with the rare exception being Maths (as one of your A2 modules isn't counted for the A* calculation).
    Both of you are gods among lowly men. You have saved me from despair and a downward spiral into madness. Thank you! I am working my hind off to get the A*s in every possible subject, and desperately needed to know if it was still possible. I salute you both.

THANK YOU!!!!
    • 61 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hassi94)
    It also means that with an AS mark between 60% and 70%, for the A2 it's possible to get an A* but not an A :holmes:

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: April 15, 2014
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.