Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

A* at A level question thread

Announcements Posted on
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gdunne42)
    You need a total UMS of 480 that includes 270/300 from your A2 exams.
    So from your A2 exams/practical you need 252 UMS for an A or 270 UMS for an A*
    You can make it easier to achieve an A if you resit one or more AS exams.
    Thank you!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't really know how to explain this, but I'll try...

For A2 English langauge (AQA), the c/w is 20%, so 80 ums, and the exam is 120 UMS, so 30% of the A-Level.

Do you need to get 90% UMS across the A2 exams (180 UMS), or an average of 90% across exams.

You could get 100% on the coursework, so 80 ums, but 80% on the exam, so 96 ums. That would give you 176 UMS, so not 90%, but you got 100% on one unit and 80% on the other, so that averages out on 90%. So which do you need to get an A*?

Sorry, is that clear?
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jwf13)
    I don't really know how to explain this, but I'll try...

For A2 English langauge (AQA), the c/w is 20%, so 80 ums, and the exam is 120 UMS, so 30% of the A-Level.

Do you need to get 90% UMS across the A2 exams (180 UMS), or an average of 90% across exams.

You could get 100% on the coursework, so 80 ums, but 80% on the exam, so 96 ums. That would give you 176 UMS, so not 90%, but you got 100% on one unit and 80% on the other, so that averages out on 90%. So which do you need to get an A*?

Sorry, is that clear?
    It's all about the UMS not about % (your calculation of average % isn't sensible as the components are not equally weighted)
    For a 400 UMS A level You need a total UMS of at least 320 for the full A level which includes at least 180 UMS from your A2 coursework and exam combined.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gdunne42)
    It's all about the UMS not about % (your calculation of average % isn't sensible as the components are not equally weighted)
    For a 400 UMS A level You need a total UMS of at least 320 for the full A level which includes at least 180 UMS from your A2 coursework and exam combined.
    Ah, OK, that makes sense. Thanks
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrSwitched)
    Apologies if this sort of thing has been asked dozens of times already but I am panicking quite a bit about chemistry. I really messed up my unit two exam and my overall AS UMS score is 228/300 (B).

Is it still possible for me to get an A* at A2 with this score? And if so what kind of score would I have to get at A2 (I imagine it'll be very high).
    You need a 90% average in the A2 modules
    • 38 followers

ReputationRep:
    If S1 and S2 are put towards my Mathematics A Level (i.e. C1-4, S1-2) and I have FP1, M1 and D1 contributing to my Further Mathematics A Level, will the S2 score contribute to attaining an A* in Further Mathematics or it will it be FP2, FP3 and M2 alone ?
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Khallil)
    If S1 and S2 are put towards my Mathematics A Level (i.e. C1-4, S1-2) and I have FP1, M1 and D1 contributing to my Further Mathematics A Level, will the S2 score contribute to attaining an A* in Further Mathematics or it will it be FP2, FP3 and M2 alone ?
    The S2 can count towards the A* in further maths if that's what is needed. Your modules will be arranged in a way which will get you the highest possible grade.

You could end up with FP2, FP3 and S2 in further maths. It all depends on modules scores.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Khallil)
    Your S2 can't count towards the A* in FM unless it is included in the FM. As long as your school recash in your AS Maths, A level Maths and AS FM next summer, the exam board will automatically work out the combination that gives you the best grades at A level Maths and FM.
    • 38 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tiny hobbit)
    Your S2 can't count towards the A* in FM unless it is included in the FM. As long as your school recash in your AS Maths, A level Maths and AS FM next summer, the exam board will automatically work out the combination that gives you the best grades at A level Maths and FM.
    Exactly as I expected. Thank you !
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    hey my name is Talha Azam!! I want to ask how could I give A'levels paper in U.K as an International student and to give them privately? My subjects will be economics,computers and accounting!
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Talha azam)
    hey my name is Talha Azam!! I want to ask how could I give A'levels paper in U.K as an International student and to give them privately? My subjects will be economics,computers and accounting!
    In many countries you can do them through the British Council

http://www.britishcouncil.org/exams
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    With sciences, do you need 90% in all A2 units or an average of 90% in all A2 units? Thanks for the help!
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheBigGeek)
    With sciences, do you need 90% in all A2 units or an average of 90% in all A2 units? Thanks for the help!
    You need 270/300 UMS from the A2 units i.e. an average of 90%
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I achieved an A* in English Literature last Thursday, though in many ways I feel like it's very undeserved. I got 323/400 UMS marks which means 4 UMS marks fewer and I would have achieved a B instead...
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by R3cognize)
    I achieved an A* in English Literature last Thursday, though in many ways I feel like it's very undeserved. I got 323/400 UMS marks which means 4 UMS marks fewer and I would have achieved a B instead...
    Don't feel like its undeserved it just means that in A2 (the harder year) you managed to pull your subject up to preform at an average over 90% that year regardless of how AS went. A great achievement!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    70% at AS meaning it's actually impossible to get A if you're aiming to get 90% or above in A2 units?
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rtcw)
    70% at AS meaning it's actually impossible to get A if you're aiming to get 90% or above in A2 units?
    Not strictly true in A level maths A* is worked out from a 90% average from C3 and C4 the entire A level from 6 modules. so say you got 70% in C1, C2, M1 so your AS is 70% average then if you got M2-95%, C3-85%, C4-90% your A2 modules would average 90% but because your C3, C4 average is only 87.5% the candidate would achieve an A not an A*.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    So to get an A* you need(for example)
    90% at A2 but only 80% in total.
    Does that mean you can get
    70% AS and 90% A2 for an A*
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sam_1996)
    So to get an A* you need(for example)
    90% at A2 but only 80% in total.
    Does that mean you can get
    70% AS and 90% A2 for an A*
    Yes, it is in the first post of the thread. How many times do people have to be told for them to understand this simple matter?
    • 23 followers

ReputationRep:
    How easy is it for most to get 90% or more UMS on C3 and C4 in Maths?

I don't know whether I should resit my c2 (74/100) or not, where I had 88 in C1 and 86 in S1.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 28, 2014
New on TSR

Student crowdfunds degree

Graduate raises £26,000 online for Masters course

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.