The Student Room Group

A* at A level question thread

Scroll to see replies

Hey people I am confused I will be sitting c1 this jan and what percentage do I have to get or mark out of 75 to get an a or * overall?
Original post by YourTheBoss
Hey people I am confused I will be sitting c1 this jan and what percentage do I have to get or mark out of 75 to get an a or * overall?

You can't get an A* in any module. It counts as a whole overall... The only modules in which you can "get" an "A*" are C3 and C4 for maths.

C1 to get an A it varies year to year...

:spank: that :badger:
Reply 1302
Hi people. I thought i knew what was going on, but now i'm REALLY confused after reading this. My school wrote to the board (CIE) and got a vague, ambiguous reply that didnt answer the question.
so, if i have an A in chem at AS level (81 UMS) Is it possible for me to get an A* at A2 level, without resitting? :confused:
Sorry if this has been answered, i couldnt search thru the whole thread...
Reply 1303
Original post by joyie
Hi people. I thought i knew what was going on, but now i'm REALLY confused after reading this. My school wrote to the board (CIE) and got a vague, ambiguous reply that didnt answer the question.
so, if i have an A in chem at AS level (81 UMS) Is it possible for me to get an A* at A2 level, without resitting? :confused:
Sorry if this has been answered, i couldnt search thru the whole thread...

CIE is not bound by the same JCQ rules as the domestic exam boards so you need to treat everything you read on this thread with a bit of caution.
Reply 1304
Original post by Data
CIE is not bound by the same JCQ rules as the domestic exam boards so you need to treat everything you read on this thread with a bit of caution.

oh, thanks,

so who would know about cie rules??
Reply 1305
Original post by joyie
oh, thanks,

so who would know about cie rules??

There are people on TSR who do, but you need to be certain that the advice you are getting is for CIE specifically and not the domestic exam boards (AQA, Edexcel, CCEA OCR and WJEC).
Reply 1306
Original post by Data
There are people on TSR who do, but you need to be certain that the advice you are getting is for CIE specifically and not the domestic exam boards (AQA, Edexcel, CCEA OCR and WJEC).

so A* in Science 90% in A2 units, does this include the coursework? for example. Biology unit 1, unit 2 and coursework? or only the two units?
Original post by Loiks94
so A* in Science 90% in A2 units, does this include the coursework? for example. Biology unit 1, unit 2 and coursework? or only the two units?

A2 units:
Unit 4/5 and the coursework... All count towards it :smile:
^Except you can get an A* at AS for the EPQ.
Original post by L'Evil Fish
A2 units:
Unit 4/5 and the coursework... All count towards it :smile:

ohh interesting, so literally need to get 270/300 UMS in A2 for all science? obviously as well as 80% overall.
Original post by Loiks94
ohh interesting, so literally need to get 270/300 UMS in A2 for all science? obviously as well as 80% overall.

Yeah so 480/600 with 270 from A2 units.
Reply 1312
what revision tips do you guys give?
What subjects dude ?
Reply 1314
Original post by YourTheBoss
What subjects dude ?

politics sociology and english:frown:

i havent done much revision:frown:
Anyone willing to just sum it up for me here, how do you get an A* in a 4 module subject, is it 90% in the two a2 modules?
:confused:
Original post by maths-mental
Anyone willing to just sum it up for me here, how do you get an A* in a 4 module subject, is it 90% in the two a2 modules?
:confused:

This has been answered so many times in this thread!

You need an average of 80% or more over all of your 4 modules (both AS and A2), AND an average of 90% or more in your A2 modules.
Thanks lol its fair to say i wont be getting one then LOL #nohope
Original post by Bluebird92

You are able to resit. Those who say that you can't lie. A* is just a grade like anything else - back when the highest grade was an A, it wasn't as it when you did resits you weren't able to get an A!

If you have to resit then you are obviously not good enough to get an A*. If someone gets an A* the first time and someone had three resits, for instance, and gets the A* then they are not equal!
Reply 1319
anyone know details about CIE rules for A*s at A level???

Quick Reply

Latest