The Student Room Group

A* at A level question thread

Scroll to see replies

Does the practical unit in physics, taken in the second year, count as an A2 unit?
Original post by mariokart123
what would the average 90 ums be in raw marks?

Depends entirely on the subject. I have seen full UMS be awarded for as little as 37/50 raw but also 72/75 being needed to achieve 90% UMS. Look at the grade boundaries for the correct subject at the correct exam board to get a feel for the subjects you are interested in.
Original post by kitshepperd
Does the practical unit in physics, taken in the second year, count as an A2 unit?

Yes, it is worth 20% of the A2.
So overall if i get ABB at as but work really hard at A2 can i get A*AA
So about the three further maths modules that count for A*, are the best three automatically chosen for further maths or is the best one assigned to maths. Eg if I got these grades this year:
Core
C3 95%
C4 93%

Applied
S2 91%
M2 91%
FP2 92%
M3 83%

So out of the four applied which one is assigned to maths, the best one (FP2) or the one which would make me get A* in both subjects (M3)
I'd really appreciate if someone could clear this up for me
Original post by mrno1324
So about the three further maths modules that count for A*, are the best three automatically chosen for further maths or is the best one assigned to maths. Eg if I got these grades this year:
Core
C3 95%
C4 93%

Applied
S2 91%
M2 91%
FP2 92%
M3 83%

So out of the four applied which one is assigned to maths, the best one (FP2) or the one which would make me get A* in both subjects (M3)
I'd really appreciate if someone could clear this up for me

M3 and FP2 can not be assigned to Maths, they can only be assigned to further maths.

If your existing M1&S1 scores combined with C1-4 are not enough for 480 total ums in maths then Either S2 or M2 would be used, in combination with your existing S1 or M1 respectively to achieve it.. Whatever is left will be used in further maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
I've got a new conundrum for you lot: AQA A-level photography. Even though the grade boundaries are stupidly high (79/80 for an A*, 78/80 for an A) is it possible for me to get an A* overall if I have gotten full marks in both units this year and was one mark off an A last year? Please tell me, it'll make me cry if I don't get this A*, haha. Thanks!
Original post by ryancshar
I've got a new conundrum for you lot: AQA A-level photography. Even though the grade boundaries are stupidly high (79/80 for an A*, 78/80 for an A) is it possible for me to get an A* overall if I have gotten full marks in both units this year and was one mark off an A last year? Please tell me, it'll make me cry if I don't get this A*, haha. Thanks!

Yes. The UMS you need for photography is just the same as any other 4 unit A level:

At least 320/400 overall

At least 180/200 in the A2 units.

If you have managed full marks in the A2 units then you only need a C at AS to get an A* overall.
Original post by Compost
Yes. The UMS you need for photography is just the same as any other 4 unit A level:

At least 320/400 overall

At least 180/200 in the A2 units.

If you have managed full marks in the A2 units then you only need a C at AS to get an A* overall.

Oh thank god for that, haha. A* here I come!
Reply 1969
I do A level Pure Maths(edexcel) which is NOT the same as Further Maths or Maths. My units include c1-c4 and FP1 & FP2. What are my requirements for A* then? Is it still 180 ums in c3 and C4 or 270 ums across FP2, c3 and c4?
Original post by urunr
I do A level Pure Maths(edexcel) which is NOT the same as Further Maths or Maths. My units include c1-c4 and FP1 & FP2. What are my requirements for A* then? Is it still 180 ums in c3 and C4 or 270 ums across FP2, c3 and c4?

270 UMS from C3, C4 and FP2.

(The rules are on p15 here:
http://www.jcq.org.uk/exams-office/entries/gce-maths-information and say
The Application of the General Rule to the GCE Mathematics Suite of QualificationsSince there is flexibility in the use of units in the grading of A level Mathematics, A level Further Mathematics and A level Additional Further Mathematics, there are supplementary rules for the mathematics suite of qualifications. Please note that A level Pure Mathematics conforms to the general rule for the award of an A* grade since it does not have this flexibility of unit use.
Hey I study biology, would it be possible for me to get an A* if I got a C in my isa last year?
I got 36 out of 50 last year and this year 42 out of 50 (isas are not my strong point).
Original post by Kat135
Hey I study biology, would it be possible for me to get an A* if I got a C in my isa last year?
I got 36 out of 50 last year and this year 42 out of 50 (isas are not my strong point).

You can get 0 in the AS ISA and still get an A*.
You need at least 30UMS(/60) in the A2 ISA for an A* to be possible.
Original post by Compost
As Changing Skies says, it's UMS. You need at least 180/200 UMS at A2 in a 4 unit A level or at least 270/300 UMS at A2 in a 6 unit A level for an A* (assuming you have the 320/400 or 480/600 required for an A).

What's the UMS like at A Level? At GCSE it's ridiculously low, especially with the Sciences, with 15 odd marks getting you a C, and you can still drop 20 marks in total and get A* for each paper
Original post by metrize
What's the UMS like at A Level? At GCSE it's ridiculously low, especially with the Sciences, with 15 odd marks getting you a C, and you can still drop 20 marks in total and get A* for each paper

Very variable, you have to look at individual subjects and exam boards. I've seen 37/50 raw marks turn into full UMS, but also 63% raw be needed for 40% UMS. In general only Maths (and coursework) lands up with the raw % converting to a lower UMS %.
Original post by Compost
Very variable, you have to look at individual subjects and exam boards. I've seen 37/50 raw marks turn into full UMS, but also 63% raw be needed for 40% UMS. In general only Maths (and coursework) lands up with the raw % converting to a lower UMS %.

Damn that sucks for maths, is that the case for Edexcel?
Original post by metrize
Damn that sucks for maths, is that the case for Edexcel?

It's by no means always the case for Maths - often the papers are an almost straight linear conversion - but the 63% raw to get 40% UMS was an Edexcel D1 paper.
I'm doing AQA maths at A2 and I'm uncertain of the requirements I have to meet to achieve an A grade.
So, I got 272/300 UMS at AS level, and the applied module at A2 I'm doing is mechanics.

I believe you need to achieve 480 UMS in total (out of 600) to get an A, so if that's the case then I need to get 208 UMS more. But I was confused at whether another requirement you needed to meet was to get 160 UMS in total for core 3 and core 4 as they are compulsory units (since you have to get an average of 90%UMS in these two units for an A*)?? Or could I just achieve it, for example, by getting 75 UMS in core 3, 75 UMS in core 4 and 75 UMS in mechanics (as this exceeds 480 UMS in total)?
Original post by yasmin221b
I'm doing AQA maths at A2 and I'm uncertain of the requirements I have to meet to achieve an A grade.

I believe you need to achieve 480 UMS in total (out of 600) to get an A, so if that's the case then I need to get 208 UMS more. But I was confused at whether another requirement you needed to meet was to get 160 UMS in total for core 3 and core 4 as they are compulsory units (since you have to get an average of 90%UMS in these two units for an A*)?? Or could I just achieve it, for example, by getting 75 UMS in core 3, 75 UMS in core 4 and 75 UMS in mechanics (as this exceeds 480 UMS in total)?

For an A* you need at least 480/600UMS overall and at least 180/200 UMS from Core 3 and Core 4.
Original post by Compost
For an A* you need at least 480/600UMS overall and at least 180/200 UMS from Core 3 and Core 4.

But for an A do I need 160/200 UMS in core 3 and core 4, or does it not matter what UMS I get in core 3 and core, as long as I get 480 UMS in total (including mechanics)?

Quick Reply

Latest