The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
It totally depends on the people. In general, I'd say relatively little mixing goes on as obviously people have seperate lives at university and seperate accommodation. The University of Edinburgh student societies are all open to people from the other Edinburgh universities to join, so in each society there are sometimes a couple of people from other universities. Similarly students at the other unis can use the Edinburgh unions.

My friendship group is actually pretty mixed, which is rare in Edinburgh I think. My ex boyfriend was at Napier, and my flatmates boyfriend is at Queen Margaret and a girl I lived with last year had a boyfriend at Herriot Watt. As a result of that we obviously got to know their friends and vice versa, so we've ended up knowing people at loads of universities.

There are various sterotypes in the city, however. At Napier parties if you let it slip you're an Edinburgh student people automatically start judging you and thinking you're up your own arse, whereas at Edinburgh parties if you said you were from a different university there are a lot of people who would be very dissmissive too. As I said it totally depends on the people though.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Jennay
How much do the students of all the Edinburgh universities mix?

Most people that I meet around Edinburgh who are not from the Edinburgh, I either knew before higher education or I know through my jobs - rather than meeting them as a student.
Reply 3
nearlyheadlessian
Most people that I meet around Edinburgh who are not from the Edinburgh, I either knew before higher education or I know through my jobs - rather than meeting them as a student.

I've found the same to be true. The friends I have from other Edinburgh based Uni's are those I went to school with (I grew up just outside Edinburgh), or those I have met through other friends (in halls, on my course etc) who went to school in/around the city. I've also met a few through work as well.

So, for me, it tends to be that the Scottish students at Edinburgh University are more likely to have friends at Heriot Watt for example, rather than a English or Amercian student - due to their links with the city, and possibly the fact that Scottish students tend to stay local (in Scotland) for University due to cost. So we do mix a bit, but usually through friends of friends, not in an academic capacity. Though this might differ by degree type or University in terms of experience.
Reply 4
If you end up in some of the private halls of residence (like UNITE) then you will most likely be living with people from a mix of universities. But generally people seem to just know those inside their own uni.

Latest

Trending

Trending