The Student Room Group
no you need to go through ucas, unless you want to be classed as a non home student i think
Reply 2
The short answer is "no" but I do know one or two people who have got into undergraduate university courses with out going through ucas- usually at very short notice and in September. But they were mature students coming from an alternative background.

As an average student, no. UCAS has the monopoly.
Reply 3
For part-time courses perhaps.
Reply 4
No i dont think so. I suppose you could just put the uni down in your choice and no toher uni. And actually specifically refer to the uni in your Personal statement i.e. I would like to study maths at UCl blah blah because I like these modules you teach blah blah xyz algebra is cool blah blah
Reply 5
Yes, sometimes Unis offer courses starting in January. Then you have to apply directly.
Reply 6
Dijobla
The short answer is "no" but I do know one or two people who have got into undergraduate university courses with out going through ucas- usually at very short notice and in September. But they were mature students coming from an alternative background.

As an average student, no. UCAS has the monopoly.

I suppose technically i'm not an average student, I will be 20 and I'm not currently in education.

So do you reckon its a case of it only working as a last minute thing?
I think you can go through clearing in mid august directly.
Reply 8
my friend did. But she was Canadian and only applying to Coventry.
Reply 9
Only for postgraduate courses.
For some part time courses, post grad courses, and some non-degree courses. For a standard undergraduate degree, no. Just apply through UCAS.
Reply 11
Yes, I did for UCL this year, although I am already in University. I think if you are applying just as a normal candidate, you have to go through UCAS.
Reply 12
jisroddie1
I suppose technically i'm not an average student, I will be 20 and I'm not currently in education.

So do you reckon its a case of it only working as a last minute thing?

Don't risk it till the last minute. You are still classed as a normal student, even though you're 20 and not in education (that's basically my situation too so I know). I assume you are applying for a full-time undergrad. so unfortunately, I think UCAS is your only option. But contact the universities anyway, they might give you a different answer:smile: .
Reply 13
My friend isn't applying through UCAS. She's applying directly to the university. She has even got an offer from one.

I don't know how it would work in June, she applied in about December. The best idea is to go on their website and see if it says anything about applying directly to the university, UCLan have something about it.
Reply 14
Some universities will use the Record of Prior Acceptance (RPA) option - which in effect means that the uni notifies UCAS after the decision to accept you has been made, without you having gone through the UCAS procedures. However, you need to check this out with individual unis and follow their advice. Just wanting to apply to one uni and/or go through Clearing does not mean that you can avoid the UCAS process. It is more likely that the RPA route will be available during the Clearing period (mid August to mid September) but not certain so my advice would be to consult the unis you are interested in now to find out what their policy is. Submitting a UCAS application takes time to do and is best not left until the last minute!
Reply 15
I emailed a few unis asking if they would give me a place. Basically they said yes, but apply through UCAS and we'll formally offer you a place.
Reply 16
When I first applied... (it's a long story) I contacted the university directly, had an interview was made an offer. The university sent me an RPA (Record of Prior Acceptance) form which the university then sent to UCAS. I still had to provide a written reference and prrof of academics. I am not sure what weight may academics held seeing as I am 27 but at least U didn'd have to pay UCAS for my application :biggrin: This was also in the Summer after or during Clearing... basically what Minerva has said :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending