The Student Room Group

Formation of Hydrogen Peroxide in the Atmosphere

Hey, after a lot of googling and looking on A-level Chemistry websites, I can't seem to find anywhere how Hydrogen Peroxide is formed in nature, and the reactions involved with forming it.

Does anyone know of a site where I can find it, or can anyone briefly explain the stages to me? I know it's to do with radicals (I think :s-smilie:) but I can't remember what goes where.

Thanks very much :smile:
Maybe:

O3 ---> O2 + O.
O. + H2O ---> 2OH.
.OH + CO + O2 ---> HO2. + CO2
2HO2. ---> H2O2 + O2
Reply 2
EierVonSatan
Maybe:

O3 ---> O2 + O.
O. + H2O ---> 2OH.
.OH + CO + O2 ---> HO2. + CO2
2HO2. ---> H2O2 + O2

Reliable as ever Mr EierVonSatan. By 'maybe' do you mean hydrogen peroxide is formed in many ways so that's just one of them?
Snobpence17
Reliable as ever Mr EierVonSatan. By 'maybe' do you mean hydrogen peroxide is formed in many ways so that's just one of them?

Well there are plenty of ways to form the OH radical in the atmosphere (but ozone is a simple enough way). The third step is probably several steps summarised as a collision of three bodies is very unlikely and its the only thing I can find to produce the perhydroxy radical (HO2.) which is needed for the termination step :smile:
Reply 4
EierVonSatan
Well there are plenty of ways to form the OH radical in the atmosphere (but ozone is a simple enough way). The third step is probably several steps summarised as a collision of three bodies is very unlikely and its the only thing I can find to produce the perhydroxy radical (HO2.) which is needed for the termination step :smile:

Actually I've just thought, does simply: H20 + O (oxygen radical) ---> H2O2 exist as a reaction in the atmosphere, where the oxygen radical is formed by ozone breaking down?
Snobpence17
Actually I've just thought, does simply: H20 + O (oxygen radical) ---> H2O2 exist as a reaction in the atmosphere, where the oxygen radical is formed by ozone breaking down?

No because of the bonding in water: H - O - H

You need to break the O-H bond, form an O - O bond then reattach the H, which just isn't feasible

The thing I can't seem to find evidence for is 2OH. ---> H2O2, slightly puzzling...
Reply 6
EierVonSatan
No because of the bonding in water: H - O - H

You need to break the O-H bond, form an O - O bond then reattach the H, which just isn't feasible

The thing I can't seem to find evidence for is 2OH. ---> H2O2, slightly puzzling...

Ah I see, that makes sense actually,I was thrown off a little as I hadn't come across some of those radicals before, but that's probably due to it just being A-level and my school being awful.

Cheers Eiers.

x

Latest