The Student Room Group

where to study in france/germany? (year abroad)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jemy
I guess the biggest actual issue for me study in German is the language as despite me being native and having both C2 level and an A at A-Level, my German is nowhere academic material so I guess it is a better bet for me to study in the Netherlands.

having studied at a so called "Elite" uni, I can assure you that you do not need "academic" German to succeed in your studies. In fact, my German got worse during my undergraduate time. And, most importantly, most of the so called "Auswendig-Lern Fächer" in which you learn everything by heart, such as Marketing/Management etc, are mainly taught in English. Which should put you in a comfortable position.

What KLL posted makes sense. I would do a postgraduate Degree in UK/US, and an undergraduate in Germany. Its somehow funny, but the general feeling at my German Uni was that the "Bachelors" are the true "heroes". Because they gained access through excellent Abitur. Many of the bright(-est?) then left after three years to do their Masters abroad. What is left in the local Master Degree is the second choice of Bachelors along with "Outsiders" who got a less competitive Bachelor degree and went to a lower ranked German uni before.

I believe that these thoughts are not justified. BUT, that what many of my peers thought.
Original post by KLL
Well you do have to study a lot of economic even when studying business, back before the bachelor was introduced, the first 2 years were pretty much identical between BWL and VWL at many places.

I would recommend doing a bachelor in Germany for its much higher academic rigour. Though Netherlands should be fine too. And then a masters in the UK as it's only 1 year.
You might have a tough time keeping up with a masters in Germany if you did your undergrad in the UK.

lets not make a fuss about perceived academic rigour. We are talking about BWL after all...so academic rigour itself is limited haha.

But I would nevertheless back your opinion on German UG Plus Uk PG.
Original post by Ducar111

What KLL posted makes sense. I would do a postgraduate Degree in UK/US, and an undergraduate in Germany. Its somehow funny, but the general feeling at my German Uni was that the "Bachelors" are the true "heroes". Because they gained access through excellent Abitur. Many of the bright(-est?) then left after three years to do their Masters abroad. What is left in the local Master Degree is the second choice of Bachelors along with "Outsiders" who got a less competitive Bachelor degree and went to a lower ranked German uni before.

I believe that these thoughts are not justified. BUT, that what many of my peers thought.

Hi Ducar

Is this also the case for the Computer Science Masters program at LMU Munich?
Original post by subtilis
Hi Ducar

Is this also the case for the Computer Science Masters program at LMU Munich?

I did not study at LMU. So I cannot comment.

Also, my comments refer more to Economics/Business/Management studies. TopUnis for these subjects would be Frankfurt/LMU/TU Munich/Mannheim/WHU/Münster/Köln etc.

At my current Masterdegree, we have Germans coming from LMU, TU, Mannheim and Frankfurt. And most of them would agree with what I have posted earlier. None of them is a Mathematician or (Computer) Scientist though.

It goes without saying, that money also plays a crucial role in choosing a Master. Let me tell you, that as far as value for money is concerned, you could choose ANY reputable German university over a British or US-Amercan one.

Quick Reply

Latest