The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
southampton solent want 90% UMS in 5 A-level subjects, with at least 80% in one AS
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 41
billydisco
Cambridge, Warwick and Imperial- yeh. Oxford dont i believe

It's only compulsory to take it at Cambridge and Warwick. Other places like Imperial and Leeds make it part of one of their offers, but it's not compulsory.
Reply 42
Krush
It's only compulsory to take it at Cambridge and Warwick. Other places like Imperial and Leeds make it part of one of their offers, but it's not compulsory.

Unless they changed it this year, my warwick offer didnt have STEP or AEA?
Reply 43
iGoGlobal
southampton solent want 90% UMS in 5 A-level subjects, with at least 80% in one AS

yeh obviously they do, because:

a) everyone takes 5 a levels
b) southampton solvent students will generally get 90%

go away and stop trolling
Reply 44
Imperial is one of the few British universities to require three Advanced Highers, even when Oxbridge are likely to require only two.
Reply 45
trance addict
what...?!

From the website. I'll try find it again, I may have understood it wrong.

Edit: Here... http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/computing/teaching/undergraduate/computing/admissions/requirements

"From October 2009, our standard A-level offer will become A*AA with an A* in Maths. However, since the A* is a newly introduced grade for A-level, we will consider any applicant who is predicted an A or an A* in Maths for interview."
Reply 46
Maths offers (currently)

Subject Combination. Standard Offer
Mathematics A2, Further Mathematics A2 + 1 additional A2 Subject. AAA
Mathematics A2, Further Mathematics AS + 2 additional A2 subjects. AAAa
Single Mathematics + 3 additional A2 subjects AAAB
Single Mathematics + 2 additional A2 subjects + AEA/STEP AAA DIST/2

Students will also be expected to gain A grades in all modules in both Mathematics and Further Mathematics. Re-sits will not be accepted.
Reply 47
billydisco
Unless they changed it this year, my warwick offer didnt have STEP or AEA?

Last year Warwick had one non-STEP/AEA offer (AAAA incl. M+FM) but they got rid of it this year to make STEP/AEA compulsory for all applicants.
Reply 48
Even DoC are asking for STEP/AEA according to that earlier link
Reply 49
Yea hehe. They're becomming more maths heavy.
Reply 50
To be honest, the admissions tutor for Computing here at Imperial teaches the Mathematical Methods course. Apparently he also used to teach the Reasoning about Programs course (which so far is all about induction). So he's obviously keen to have people highly mathematically capable so he doesn't have to start at a low level, and because it's his subject area.
Reply 51
I can't wait for Imperial's entry exam :biggrin: It's gonna be interesting to see how it stacks up to Oxbridge admissions.
ponjavic
I can't wait for Imperial's entry exam :biggrin: It's gonna be interesting to see how it stacks up to Oxbridge admissions.

It would be best if they follow boardly the AEA syllabus and style, but perhaps make it a bit harder and more lengthy.
Reply 53
s.e.r.e.n.e
It would be best if they follow boardly the AEA syllabus and style, but perhaps make it a bit harder and more lengthy.

Dont mean to split straws, but make it like STEP where 50% is a very good mark. This way by having an extremely difficult test its starting to tell people Imperial are catching up on Oxbridge....
billydisco
Dont mean to split straws, but make it like STEP where 50% is a very good mark. This way by having an extremely difficult test its starting to tell people Imperial are catching up on Oxbridge....

I neither understand your English nor your argument please expand and reiterate if you please.
Reply 55
Master Polhem
I neither understand your English nor your argument please expand and reiterate if you please.

Thats because i used an English saying 'to split straws', it means to be pedantic.

The person said they hope the entrance test is styled like the AEA, i have said i would prefer it is styled on STEP because STEP is harder and it will set a precedent. Oxford and Cambridge are not the only universities which are difficult to get into now....
Reply 56
billydisco
Thats because i used an English saying 'to split straws', it means to be pedantic.

The person said they hope the entrance test is styled like the AEA, i have said i would prefer it is styled on STEP because STEP is harder and it will set a precedent. Oxford and Cambridge are not the only universities which are difficult to get into now....

It's not because the test is hard that it's any harder to come into the uni.
If they same number of people apply your chances will be identical.
Reply 57
mf2004
It's not because the test is hard that it's any harder to come into the uni.
If they same number of people apply your chances will be identical.

everything is also about perception

Oxford IS worse for engineering than Imperial, but the perception of Oxford is much greater because of its history, reputation, image etc
Reply 58
sunspoon
To be honest, the admissions tutor for Computing here at Imperial teaches the Mathematical Methods course. Apparently he also used to teach the Reasoning about Programs course (which so far is all about induction). So he's obviously keen to have people highly mathematically capable so he doesn't have to start at a low level, and because it's his subject area.

Yea its quite funny. You can get away with doing almost no maths in second year... Certainly the HCI course we're doing is as faaaaaaaaar away from maths as its possible.
Reply 59
billydisco
everything is also about perception

Oxford IS worse for engineering than Imperial, but the perception of Oxford is much greater because of its history, reputation, image etc

Then again most people applying are very likely to apply to Cambridge, in fact I have no idea who's filling up oxford's engineering slots =/ except possibly for piano virtuosi/virtuosos

Latest

Trending

Trending