The Student Room Group
Reply 1
jackthebucket
Can someone specify for me the career progression and time it takes to become a physician and a GP? I.e. 5 years med school, then 2 Foundation years as a junior doctor, then seniour house doctor > registrar? If someone could let me know what possible routes there are to progress that would help.

those might help (the second one shows how things have changed from what used to happen)
also google MMC (modernising medical careers) for more in depth information
Reply 2
I don't really understand what that diagram reads after F year 2? When do you become a house doctor.
Reply 3
jackthebucket
I don't really understand what that diagram reads after F year 2? When do you become a house doctor.

You don't. SHO no longer exists. You go from FY2 into specialty training :smile:
Isnt GP training only 3 years? (currently)
Reply 5
crazylemon
Isnt GP training only 3 years? (currently)
Yes, but it won't be by the time any of you are even thinking of it.
Reply 6
Alex L
You don't. SHO no longer exists. You go from FY2 into specialty training :smile:
Well...

Everyone knows what an SHO is, and everyone between FY1 and ST2 calls themselves an SHO. Same with registrars.
Reply 7
Renal
Well...

Everyone knows what an SHO is, and everyone between FY1 and ST2 calls themselves an SHO. Same with registrars.

Does it exist then? Or is it used instead :confused:
Reply 8
Alex L
Does it exist then? Or is it used instead :confused:
It exists in as much as it's a term used by doctors, nurses, etc. But it's not technically correct.
Reply 9
Renal
It exists in as much as it's a term used by doctors, nurses, etc. But it's not technically correct.

jackthebucket

FY1 = (provisionally registered ) House Officer
Reply 11
after FY2.. u go on to specialty registrar...is this just ST1 (2 yrs) and ST2 (3yrs) and then consultant? And when does basic medical training/basic surgical training come into this ?
Reply 12
andybrandy
after FY2.. u go on to specialty registrar...is this just ST1 (2 yrs) and ST2 (3yrs) and then consultant? And when does basic medical training/basic surgical training come into this ?

No, the 'ST' simply denotes how far you are into your training. For example if you are an ST4 in paediatrics, this means that you have had 4 years of paediatric speciality training. So, ST1 is your first year of speciality training, ST2 is your second year of speciality training and so on. In terms of basic surgical training, if you fancy being a surgeon then you do your basic surgical training which encompasses ST1 and ST2. You can do your BST with a theme, if orthopaedic surgery interests you, you can do your BST with a theme of orthopaedics. If at the end of your BST, you decide that general surgery is more suited to you, you can then apply for a general surgery ST3 post. The BST gives you 2 years of rotation throughout different surgical specialties, allowing you to gain and improve your skills. As for basic medical training, this confuses me :confused:. I always thought that for the medical specialties, it was 'run-through' training, rather than the de-coupled surgical training?! Med students and doctors will be able to give a more comprehensive answer though :smile:
Reply 13
A lot of specialities including general medicine have uncoupled. The exeptions that still offer run through training include O&G, GP, Ophtalmology, Peads, Radiology, Pathology, Microbiology and Public Health.

For up to date details: http://www.mmc.nhs.uk/default.aspx?page=473
Reply 14
belis
A lot of specialities including general medicine have uncoupled. The exeptions that still offer run through training include O&G, GP, Ophtalmology, Peads, Radiology, Pathology, Microbiology and Public Health.

For up to date details: http://www.mmc.nhs.uk/default.aspx?page=473

Thanks for posting the link. I've always found the medical training a bit more complicated as some are run through and some are de-coupled :woo:
Reply 15
Alex D
No, the 'ST' simply denotes how far you are into your training. For example if you are an ST4 in paediatrics, this means that you have had 4 years of paediatric speciality training. So, ST1 is your first year of speciality training, ST2 is your second year of speciality training and so on. In terms of basic surgical training, if you fancy being a surgeon then you do your basic surgical training which encompasses ST1 and ST2. You can do your BST with a theme, if orthopaedic surgery interests you, you can do your BST with a theme of orthopaedics. If at the end of your BST, you decide that general surgery is more suited to you, you can then apply for a general surgery ST3 post. The BST gives you 2 years of rotation throughout different surgical specialties, allowing you to gain and improve your skills. As for basic medical training, this confuses me :confused:. I always thought that for the medical specialties, it was 'run-through' training, rather than the de-coupled surgical training?! Med students and doctors will be able to give a more comprehensive answer though :smile:

oh okay..thank you very much :smile:...do you know how many ST years there are for most specialties?
Reply 16
andybrandy
oh okay..thank you very much :smile:...do you know how many ST years there are for most specialties?

I believe it's 7-10 yrs
Reply 17
andybrandy

Your welcome :smile: I think most surgical training is 7 to 8 years while medical training is around 5 to 6 years. GP is currently 3 years (I think) but on another thread someone mentioned that it could change.

EDIT: Renal mentioned in an earlier post in this thread that GP training will probably change.
Reply 18
It should probably be stated that if you are just starting med school it is likely to be somewhat different in terms of nomenclature but will essentially be similar. The terms house officer,sho and registrar will still be used rather than stuff like GPVTS1

Latest