The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

beekeeper_
Personally i would work, despite the low job satisfaction.
I don't think it is right for people to do nothing at all, and live off other people. My grandad had his head stuck up mines for 30 years, but he had the committment to work for his country.

Thats different, its valuable, its admirable, even though they got shat on in the end by the bastard government....but working on minimum wage wearing a baseball cap for some American bullshit company? I could not.
Reply 81
nosos
Is anyone else as sick and tired as I am about the discrimination which goes on against middle-class students in this country? Many people at my school didn't get into the university of their first choice because they were guilty of the crime of being born better off. If it were blacks, homosexuals or spastics the Guardian and all their spineless readers would be in uproar but, no, because the target of this prejudice is the middle classes, it's ok. This country really makes me angry sometimes. :mad:

You f***in what?

Discrimination against MC students? The entire education system favours MC students, even if Labour's social democratic policies are trying to be inclusive of WC students, they still don't do as well as MC students, so don't start moaning about being disadvantaged!

The system makes it more difficult for WC students to gain the same results as MC students, they are just as bright and able they just haven't had the privilaged upbringing that MC students have.

And I resent you using the word "spastics" - THAT IS DISCRIMINATION!

Hypocrite! :mad:
Reply 82
naivesincerity
Not good, we've been overtaken by the tories :mad:

Overtaken by or merged with?
Reply 83
darryladie

Why are you allowed to say it while I get censored!? :confused:
Reply 84
zaf1986
:biggrin: :biggrin: I think I'm beginning to like you, lol

It's not true what they say about me. :biggrin:
Reply 85
darryladie
Discrimination against MC students? The entire education system favours MC students

really? hows that? by making them pay through the teeth for the same thing?

darryladie

even if Labour's social democratic policies are trying to be inclusive of WC students, they still don't do as well as MC students, so don't start moaning about being disadvantaged!

really? whys that?

darryladie

The system makes it more difficult for WC students to gain the same results as MC students, they are just as bright and able they just haven't had the privilaged upbringing that MC students have.

how does it make it more difficult? because you are middle class you go to entirely different, better, more funded schools than working class people? pull the other one.
darryladie
You f***in what?

Discrimination against MC students? The entire education system favours MC students, even if Labour's social democratic policies are trying to be inclusive of WC students, they still don't do as well as MC students, so don't start moaning about being disadvantaged!

What a load of rubbish, Middle classes are disadvantaged in different ways, which have all ready been mentioned.
And the word 'spastics' is NOT discrimination, it is the word which was originally created to describe people in such a position, the only reason people like you think it is discrimination is because SOME PEOPLE make it discrimination. A word alone can never be discrimination, it purely depends on the context and how you mean it. The way that nosos used it was clearly not in any way discrimation. The idea that the word 'spastics' is derogatory is nothing but a stinking MYTH.
Nosos,
Theres also the fact that many of the people you are talking about are not exactly encouraged into work by the fact that many working class people who DO work are treated like absolute **** by SOME people in higher social positions, and not given any human dignity or respect. Some people experience that regularly. On top of that they have much lower wages. Is it any surprise they end up in positions where they are nihlistic and violent and resentful? I'll get the piss taken out of me for this, but perhaps if we had a society where people had more empathy and were more courteous then you would not get a resentful, nihlistic underclass who don't want to work.(I'm not asking for human nature to change, which its clearly not going to, but perhaps if politics changes a society, it can then change peoples behaviour..idealistic?..maybe,yes) Many of the middle classes only hardship is having to discipline themselves to place their heads in books for a few years,and then they are well on the way to a fulfilling, and yes, sometimes demanding career..are you seriously trying to say that life is not more pleasant for people higher up the social order?!! As i say you must have very little empathy with people in other positions if this is what you think, or otherwise you are spoilt and/or self-seeking.
Reply 88
naivesincerity
Nosos,
Theres also the fact that many of the people you are talking about are not exactly encouraged into work by the fact that many working class people who DO work are treated like absolute **** by SOME people in higher social positions, and not given any human dignity or respect. Some people experience that regularly. On top of that they have much lower wages. Is it any surprise they end up in positions whee they are nihlistic and violent and resentful? I'll get the piss taken out of me for this, but perhaps if we had a society where people had more empathy and were more courteous then you would not get a resentful, nihlistic underclass who don't want to work. Many of the middle classes only hardship is having to discipline themselves to place their heads in books for a few years, and some are so intelligent its piss-easy for them anyway, and a ticket to a fulfilling, and yes, sometimes demanding career..are you seriously trying to say that life is not easier for people higher up the social order?!! As i say you must have very little empathy with people in other positions if this is what you think, or otherwise you are spoilt and/or self-seeking.

dont think ive read much greater trash than that in my time here, and believe me theres torrents of it every single day.

you're making out that being from a poor background means you arent intelligent enough to learn. "Many of the middle classes only hardship is having to discipline themselves to place their heads in books for a few years". to be honest everyone just has to place themselves in a book for a few years. infact for the poorer its EASIER as the government pays for it all! imagine that.

and of course, its only the poor lower class people who get abuse in work. its the same for everyone. managers piss on the workers no matter who they are.
naivesincerity
Nosos,
Theres also the fact that many of the people you are talking about are not exactly encouraged into work by the fact that many working class people who DO work are treated like absolute **** by SOME people in higher social positions, and not given any human dignity or respect. Some people experience that regularly. On top of that they have much lower wages. Is it any surprise they end up in positions whee they are nihlistic and violent and resentful? I'll get the piss taken out of me for this, but perhaps if we had a society where people had more empathy and were more courteous then you would not get a resentful, nihlistic underclass who don't want to work. Many of the middle classes only hardship is having to discipline themselves to place their heads in books for a few years, and some are so intelligent its piss-easy for them anyway, and a ticket to a fulfilling, and yes, sometimes demanding career..are you seriously trying to say that life is not easier for people higher up the social order?!! As i say you must have very little empathy with people in other positions if this is what you think, or otherwise you are spoilt and/or self-seeking.

I don't agree with what you are saying at all (again-sorry!)
The myth that people who are in under paid jobs work harder is silly, and nothing but reverse discrimination to be honest.
I do agree though, that the gap between rich and poor is growing, and that is a major problem which we should all face, society needs class divides to function, but we don't want to end up like China.
Reply 90
darryladie
You f***in what?

Quota systems discriminate - there is no two ways about it.

darryladie

How is it discrimination? Its Un-PC - NOT discrimination
beekeeper_
I don't agree with what you are saying at all (again-sorry!)
The myth that people who are in under paid jobs work harder is silly, and nothing but reverse discrimination to be honest.
I do agree though, that the gap between rich and poor is growing, and that is a major problem which we should all face, society needs class divides to function, but we don't want to end up like China.

Not that they work harder..if i said that it is not what i mean..i mean that able people can have the world financially way easier than others, purely through being able, and not hardworking,no... and when i hear the priveliged whingeing on i have no sympathy, its just pathetic..get over yourselves....(i have life financially easy...my mum's never worked, i'm lazy as ****)All that stuff about how everyone who's wealthy is an upstanding citizen who has sweated and toiled for every penny, and people on benefits are good for nothing scroungers is offensive pompous tory crap
Reply 92
beekeeper_
the gap between rich and poor is growing

1. What evidence is there for this?

2. Its not the gap that matters - its the absolute level of wellbeing that people enjoy - who cares if the neighbours have a nicer car or house?
technik

you're making out that being from a poor background means you arent intelligent enough to learn

where do i say this?

"Many of the middle classes only hardship is having to discipline themselves to place their heads in books for a few years". to be honest everyone just has to place themselves in a book for a few years. infact for the poorer its EASIER as the government pays for it all! imagine that.

The last bit you'll have to explain to me :confused:
Reply 94
naivesincerity
The last bit you'll have to explain to me :confused:

you were making out as if a lower class pupil was incapable of studying. i'd like you to clarify
technik
you were making out as if a lower class pupil was incapable of studying. i'd like you to clarify

give me the quote from what i said, because thats nothing to do with what i was saying
naivesincerity
Not that they work harder..if i said that it is not what i mean..i mean that able people can have the world financially way easier than others, purely through being able, and not hardworking,no... and when i hear the priveliged whingeing on i have no sympathy, its just pathetic..get over yourselves....

The term 'privelaged' is not right at all... i will not be privelaged when i go to university because i will get no help from anybody but my parents, and they won't be able to pay for the lot!
And having more money does not instantly guarantee an easy life. Money is not everything.
Look at Richard Branson. Being poor only makes you disadvantaged if you let it do so.
Reply 97
naivesincerity
give me the quote from what i said, because thats nothing to do with what i was saying

i did quote you and you said you didnt follow. you said all the middle classes had to do was read books for a few years. to me that implied that you thought the lower classes were incapable of such learning.
Reply 98
beekeeper_
The term 'privelaged' is not right at all... i will not be privelaged when i go to university because i will get no help from anybody but my parents, and they won't be able to pay for the lot!
And having more money does not instantly guarantee an easy life. Money is not everything.
Look at Richard Branson. Being poor only makes you disadvantaged if you let it do so.

i agree. privileged? i mean WTF!?. middle class people arent privileged. they dont own stately manors and go to posh schools where you play croquet and wear striped blazers and funny hats while paying 5 figures for the honour.
technik
i did quote you and you said you didnt follow. you said all the middle classes had to do was read books for a few years. to me that implied that you thought the lower classes were incapable of such learning.

well sorry if i made that implication.i certainly don't mean that. But i was referring to the uneducated working classes, from backgrounds where they don't believe they have any academic ability, or go to terrible schools.

Latest

Trending

Trending