The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Bateman
Excuse me?
They systematically killed innocent afghans.

Probably. Not much different to the present situation though. And, like the present situation, running around killing civilians wasn't the reason they went into Afghanistan.

they shouldn't have gone in, and they didn't really know what they were doing once they were there, but that doesn't make them evil.
Reply 21
Pocket Calculator
Probably. Not much different to the present situation though. And, like the present situation, running around killing civilians wasn't the reason they went into Afghanistan.

they shouldn't have gone in, and they didn't really know what they were doing once they were there, but that doesn't make them evil.

They went in for cruel reasons and cruely killed innocent people.

The Americans have gone in for legit reasons and they only kill innocent people via collaterol damage.

And i hope, both for the sake of afghans and iranians, that the americans remain in afghanistan until they get the job done.

Although i think the americans are doing a terrible job, everyone knows that the taliban are an idea, you can't get rid of them untill you either tackle that idea, which is impossible, or dry up their funds.

America is failing to do the latter and opium production has increased since 2001.
Reply 22
Bateman

The Americans have gone in for legit reasons and they only kill innocent people via collaterol damage.

And i hope, both for the sake of afghans and iranians, that the americans remain in afghanistan until they get the job done.

Although i think the americans are doing a terrible job, everyone knows that the taliban are an idea, you can't get rid of them untill you either tackle that idea, which is impossible, or dry up their funds.

America is failing to do the latter and opium production has increased since 2001.

I am sure the USSR thought they were going in for their own right ideas, to spread communism for the great good, right and wrong, good and evil are almost always a matter of perspective.
Reply 23
quizster
I am sure the USSR thought they were going in for their own right ideas, to spread communism for the great good, right and wrong, good and evil are almost always a matter of perspective.

How on earth can killing for the sake of killing be good?
Reply 24
Bateman
How on earth can killing for the sake of killing be good?

That is the point, it isn't good! And trying not to go off topic too much, but when the evil terrorist acts of 9/11 occurred, I am sure they were people who thought the deed was a "good" act, when it clearly wasn't in no way, shape of form!
Reply 25
but what has that got to do with this?
Bateman

The DRA (which was established and run independently of the USSR, and it's establishment came as a suprise to Brezhnev) repeatedly requested the USSR's military aid, and they only reluctantly stepped in to help in 1979. Answering a cry for help is hardly cruel.

As for cruelly killing innocent people, that happens in all wars. It's not like it was their objective, no more than it was the USA's objective to cruelly kill civilians in Vietnam.
Reply 27
So if i ask you to help me come into power, and you in return, try to help, but kill not only everyone who stops me from coming into power, but innocent women and children, then you're not evil?
Bateman
So if i ask you to help me come into power,

well first, the DRA didn't come to power with the USSR's help. It was homegrown. (to my knowledge anyway).

and you in return, try to help, but kill not only everyone who stops me from coming into power,
killing your opponents is the point of war, is it not? Were the Kuomindang evil for killing Chinese commies in the civil war?
but innocent women and children,
well, that's what happens in war. Not that I'm justifying it (or war at all), of course.
then you're not evil?
Not necessarily, no.
Reply 29
No, that's Bs, that is not what happens in war.

USSR systematically killed innocent people in villages and moved onto the next one, and poisoned water wells incase any afghans decided to return.

Now begone, troll.
Bateman
No, that's Bs, that is not what happens in war.
USSR systematically killed innocent people in villages and moved onto the next one, and poisoned water wells incase any afghans decided to return.
well, that would be pretty **** if they did do that. but is it really different to any other war? i don't see why this makes the USSR so evil specifically. would you call Argentina's use of landmines in the Falklands evil? Afterall, they were denying the use of that land to civilians, just as the Soviets did by poisoning wells. Pointless and misguided, yes. But that doesn't make the entire country evil.

Now begone, troll.

that's a bit harsh!
Reply 31
Landmines are fine, poisoning drinking wells is not.
Bateman
Landmines are fine, poisoning drinking wells is not.
Why? They're both (pretty grotesque) forms of area denial that kill both militaria and civilians.
Reply 33
:facepalm: how does poisoning civillian water wells even compare to mining roads used by the invading army?!
Reply 34
Bateman
but what has that got to do with this?

It doesn't have anything to do with the subject matter in hand in the direct sense, but it was an example of how "good" "evil" "right" and "wrong" can be perceived differently by different people.

And that was in your reference to calling the USSR "evil" as it was coming directly from Mr. Regan's mouth.
Reply 35
no.

why? because 9/11 WAS evil. only those who did it thought otherwise.

So i'll ask again, what has that got to do with anything? After all, i never recall saying "the ussr was evilk, and they thought themselves to be evil".
Reply 36
Bateman
why? because 9/11 WAS evil. only those who did it thought otherwis

You have just stated that point of my post; any person with any sense or moral judgement knows 9/11 was evil, but like any other terrorist attack, they are people who think otherwise. As when the USSR invaded Afghanistan, I'm sure many of the world leaders thought it was wrong, but the Russian's must have thought it was right, and this could be the same case of Afghanistan today with NATO forces.

I don't mind admitting I may have not put my point across in the best way, but it is late.

Oh and by the way, YES you did say that Russia was "evil"

Bateman

How am i brainwashed?

I didn't live through the 80s and 90s when the west was being brainwashed, but i can read, i have read what russia did, and i think they're pure evil, purely based on what they did to Iran during the Iran-Iraq war.
otherwis
Bateman
:facepalm: how does poisoning civillian water wells even compare to mining roads used by the invading army?!

well, civilians use the roads too! and it's not only roads. and, like contaminated groundwater, the mines linger long after the conflict.
Reply 38
This is my last post in this thread.

4 of my relatives died fighting the Nazis in WW2.

I'm not going to continue this discussion about the "evil" USSR.
Reply 39
The Nazis were evil too.

But, by fighting evil people, you're not rid of your evilness.

Latest

Trending

Trending