The Student Room Group

Anybody applied to United World Colleges (UWC) for 2009? Chat Here!

So the deadlines for forms for application to the United World Colleges for Britain closed yesterday (Saturday 14th February 2009). I thought I'd make this topic to let everybody that is applying chat together!

I would LOVE to be offered a scholarship to study at a UWC, especially the one in Hong Kong! But any UWC would be great! I applied to (in order of preference) Hong Kong, USA, Canada, Singapore, Wales.

I'm just wondering who has applied and how you feel about your application?

I hope mine was good enough for them. I was 100% honest and just said the reasons I would like to go, just hope they give me a chance :smile:

Anybody out there also applied? :smile:
Reply 1
Hiya :smile:
i applied for the UWC in Hong Kong (cos i live there anyways)
I went to challenge say (the first stage of selection) and im waiting for a reply by phone or fax on the 23rd
good luck with your application!
x
Reply 2
[QUOTE=elaine:)[excludedFace]smile[/excludedFace]]Hiya :smile:
i applied for the UWC in Hong Kong (cos i live there anyways)
I went to challenge say (the first stage of selection) and im waiting for a reply by phone or fax on the 23rd
good luck with your application!
x
Ooooh, Well done! I hope you get in too :smile:

Apparently for the UWC in the UK they had a smaller number of applicants than they expected, and thus, about a month before application closure they encouraged the Alumni to make "one last big push" to try and get more applications.

I think I'm building my hopes up too much! And will be devestated if they decide not to take my application further...
Reply 3
I've never heard of these 12 international schools but when I went to their website, wow, I was amazed. Do you have to be really intelligent to apply there?
Reply 4
sophie192
I've never heard of these 12 international schools but when I went to their website, wow, I was amazed. Do you have to be really intelligent to apply there?

I assume they would like somebody with some intelligence, but I don't think you have to be overly intelligent (I may be wrong here). They say that "there is no ideal UWC student". I think they are more looking for people that will be able to contribute well to the "movement" and take something away from it and put that back into the community.
sophie192

not really, i live in singapore and UWC is our 'rival' school....you don't have to be THAT intelligent but IB i a demanding course so it helps! It is quite a good school though (but ours is better :wink: )
Singapore is AWESOME you would love it here, everyone does :smile:
Reply 7
Ok, good to know. I'm in my 11th year at school (US system) and I know it's too late to apply now, but do you guys know if they offer summer courses/programs? I've seen some programs in the AC website and it was in 2008. And do have to receive an invitation to apply there?
Reply 8
HEY
I GOT INTO THE FINAL INTERVIEWWWW,
IM THRILLED :smile:
goodluck with your application!!!
x
Hey guys, I go to Atlantic College, nice to see some UWC applicants here :smile:
If any of you have any questions feel free! To answer one I saw earlier, you doin't have to be super intelligent (althoguht many here are!!), but you just have to be able to deal with the IB, because it is demanding, but so rewarding! Moneyballs2, what you said was totally right, that's what they are looking for! Good luck everyone I hope it all goes well for you x
Reply 10
frosklingjess
Hey guys, I go to Atlantic College, nice to see some UWC applicants here :smile:
If any of you have any questions feel free! To answer one I saw earlier, you doin't have to be super intelligent (althoguht many here are!!), but you just have to be able to deal with the IB, because it is demanding, but so rewarding! Moneyballs2, what you said was totally right, that's what they are looking for! Good luck everyone I hope it all goes well for you x

Heyy,

How is it there? :smile: Bet it's amazing

How long did it take for them to get back to you about interview after the application deadline?

I really enjoy it yeh :smile: Did you come for an open day?
I think it took about a month, or 3 weeks ish.
If I'm not mistkaen the interviews are in early march. x
Reply 12
I never even knew about the UWC until a teacher told me in January!

So I got in just before applications closed last Saturday. :smile:

Thanks for all the answers
Good luck to you all who are applying...any interviewees for AC may well be sleeping on the floor of my dorm in a few weeks. Heads up to the Brits - if you get a place at AC, you probably won't get a scholarship. The National Committee is pretty damn short of money and a only a handful of Brits get significant financial aid each year. It SUCKS! Good luck with the interviews and everything, see you soon!!! =)
damn. you lucky guys. i didn't know that they were giving scholarships. all the UWC schools look amazing, good luck to all of you! but if you don't get in, remember, the school doesn't define you. YOU DO. :smile:

(that's what i keep telling myself...i wish i applied. **** haha)
Reply 15
im applying this year to the uwc in hk
i would love to become part of the uwc movement
i used to go to the one in singapore
its a great school!!!
Reply 16
UWC hey...
I know a lot of people who applied to UWC in Hong Kong, well, that's because I live there.
To be frankly honest, UWC in Hong Kong does NOT accept the smartest/most well-rounded candidates because they are afraid that students will opt to go university earlier, thus jeopardizing the school's funding. Sounds crazy right?
I didn't believe it at first, but that's what my biology teacher told me, and she's seems very very honest.
It's not the first time I've heard it from an adult.
Reply 17
ahhh UWC applicants :smile:
I am second year in UWCiM. if you have any questions be free to ask! :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending