The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It doesn't matter too much which one you choose, though computing is the more respected option. It's more important to choose the one that you're more likely to get a good grade in.
Reply 2
Can you do both as neither should be too heavy on your workload? What about maths or english?
Neither.

Sociology isn't a very respected subject, although I can see why you're drawn to it as it is related. It might suffice, but if you want to go to Oxford, then it's a little risky. How about English Literature? Or Maths?
Reply 4
Computing.
don't do computing or sociology

do either:

classics/english lit
Reply 6
A2 computing imo
Reply 7
can't do both :frown: the college says that having an A2 and four ASs would be too much :frown:

not really interested in English (I cannot analyse language, at all, which doesn't help) and despite being, if I say so myself, really good at maths, I just don't see any point to it, so it's boring to me. I'm trying to pick subjects that I can bear to study every day and then more at weekends, so sciences, english, maths, languages are all out.

i'm drawn to sociology 'cause it sounds really interesting even though it's not thought that highly of (and it's on Oxford's table of useful subjects for a history & politics degree), but I'm drawn to computing 'cause I'll already have the AS (which is nowhere near as difficult as I was expecting, can anyone give me advice about difficulty level at A2?) at grade B minimum, probably an A, and it'll make a change from doing just political-historical-social subjects, if that makes sense, and it's only for year 12. I'm just worried that I'll end up hating it (I don't really like it that much at the moment) so I'll have to spend a quarter of my time doing something that bores and confuses me at the same time :s-smilie:
OP, 3AS and 1A2?
Reply 9
having a blonde moment, what does OP stand for?
Reply 10
As others have said, do neither of the two subjects you've mentioned, and consider maths, eng lit, classics, or another 'hard' a-level (a language, etc).
sssgeni
having a blonde moment, what does OP stand for?

you, (Original Poster)

is it possible to do History, Politics, Economics AS with Computing A2?

what about chemistry or biology?
Reply 12
thanks, can't believe I didn't get that lol.

went to the college's open day, they said it was fine to do the A2 in year 12 but I'd have to sacrifice a subject, i.e. only do three ASs instead of four.
then do that

History AS
Politics AS
Economics AS
Computing A2
Do whichever one you enjoy and are most confident in. A so-called 'soft subject' as your fourth A/AS level is totally adequate.
Reply 15
Put a nice maths A level in there. It's a shame you're not interested in Literature... History + Literature = good combination.
Richard-16
Put a nice maths A level in there. It's a shame you're not interested in Literature... History + Literature = good combination.

:ditto:

would've been perfect
Reply 17
necessarily benevolent
Do whichever one you enjoy and are most confident in. A so-called 'soft subject' as your fourth A/AS level is totally adequate.

I agree with this.
After all, if you do a subject you don't like then you're much less likely to get a good grade.
Reply 18
Please stop prescribing the OP courses which they will not enjoy.

OP, sociology is not an unrespected A level plus its relevent to your desired uni course and you are interested in it. Take it.
Reply 19
thanks everyone for your help. i think i've almost made up my mind to choose ... maybe ... sociology?

btw, does anyone here do sociology? and if so, what do you do in sociology? (i.e. course content, etc)