The Student Room Group

Stuttering at Interview

Hey everyone,

I have an interview coming up in a couple of weeks and I'm preparing, though I often find myself stuttering and sometimes rambling.I don't usually stutter in normal conversation though I suppose it is more nerve racking at interviews.

So:

If you guys don't mind, how much stuttering would seem OK at interview? Would it be as though one rough sentence would throw you out or more?

How long should you prepare for? I don't want to rehearse, but I don't feel as though I can say sentences and answers completely, so I'm confused.

Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Gangsta Boogie
Hey everyone,

I have an interview coming up in a couple of weeks and I'm preparing, though I often find myself stuttering and sometimes rambling.I don't usually stutter in normal conversation though I suppose it is more nerve racking at interviews.

So:

If you guys don't mind, how much stuttering would seem OK at interview? Would it be as though one rough sentence would throw you out or more?

How long should you prepare for? I don't want to rehearse, but I don't feel as though I can say sentences and answers completely, so I'm confused.

Thanks.

I tend to stutter when I'm nervous and I did at the beginning of all my interviews; I got offers from all of them so it can't have hurt too much.

When I started to stutter and lose the thread of what I was saying, I just stopped, took a deep breath, appologised and carried on. After a few minutes you'll find your nerves fall away and you'll start talking naturally.

The interviewers are human and will allow for nerves!
theatrical
I tend to stutter when I'm nervous and I did at the beginning of all my interviews; I got offers from all of them so it can't have hurt too much.

When I started to stutter and lose the thread of what I was saying, I just stopped, took a deep breath, appologised and carried on. After a few minutes you'll find your nerves fall away and you'll start talking naturally.

The interviewers are human and will allow for nerves!

Yeh, I'm imagining it to be similar to a driving test. Are there any good health and NHS-related sites besides BBC health on the WWW?
Reply 3
I don't stutter but during my interviews i did tend to start babbling on a bit and i just stopped, asked them if i could have a second to regroup (took a deep breath - always helps!) and started again

they didn't seem to mind

the important thing to remember though, is that though they'll take into account nerves, if you don't manage to say what you need to as a result of nerves, they can't give you the benefit of the doubt

re. other health news sites: try some of the newspaper websites?
Reply 4
They know you'll be nervous...take a deep breath, a drink of water before you go in....take a second or two think gather your thoughts before speaking (trust me they won't think it's weird). They'll take nerves into account :smile:
I hope so, I have so far only one interview from Leicester and it's a 3:1 ratio per place ( approx.) and I just can't see them offering me a place. People say " If you meet their standards, you'll be offered a place", though what are their standards!? But you're perhaps not the most appropriate person to ask this, unless you're a Leicester medic
Reply 6
You would have thought that an interview would assess you on your ability to communicate in a stressful situation...
Reply 7
Gangsta Boogie
I hope so, I have so far only one interview from Leicester and it's a 3:1 ratio per place ( approx.) and I just can't see them offering me a place. People say " If you meet their standards, you'll be offered a place", though what are their standards!? But you're perhaps not the most appropriate person to ask this, unless you're a Leicester medic

Just be yourself! Don't mould yourself into anything special, they'll spot insincerity and fakeness from a mile off. You've got an interview, it means they're curious about you, and they want to see if you're as good in person as you are on paper. They want to give you the place. I'm sure you know your stuff...other than that just treat it as a challenge, a chance to prove how great you are to them face to face :smile:
Reply 8
I know its fairly useless info, but just try your best to chill out and youll come across so much better. Dont jump into answering questions. Take a deep breath to think about what you are going to say and calm yourself.
Reply 9
If you stutter, you won't get in, that's just a fact.
zef99

:eek3:
Reply 11
Gangsta Boogie

ignore him... as we've suggested, just take a breath, if you have some water have a sip, and relax! (the more you worry about it, the worse it might get!)
zef99

Stop it. That's not needed at all.
Reply 13
Democracy
Stop it. That's not needed at all.

Relax. Your overreaction is not needed at all.
Hygeia
ignore him... as we've suggested, just take a breath, if you have some water have a sip, and relax! (the more you worry about it, the worse it might get!)

TY +1
Reply 15
Gangsta Boogie
TY +1

I don't mean to sound rude, I really don't, but isn't what she said obvious?
zef99
I don't mean to sound rude, I really don't, but isn't what she said obvious?

Is it wrong for me to ask for possible other tips? Yes I was expecting a similar answer and perhaps other answers. It's worth trying to ask if you're nice.

:eek3:
Reply 17
apparently the cleverest guy in the year above me got rejected from oxford for stuttering
but i take that with a dash of salt
he was tremendously clever though, and he stuttered very bad
i would recommend you try and calm yourself before the interview somehow, maybe try some sort of deep breathing excercises etc
good luck man
bavink
apparently the cleverest guy in the year above me got rejected from oxford for stuttering
but i take that with a dash of salt
he was tremendously clever though, and he stuttered very bad
i would recommend you try and calm yourself before the interview somehow, maybe try some sort of deep breathing excercises etc
good luck man

Did they actually tell him it was for stuttering though. If not, then I don't think speculations are of any use to the OP
I remember my nursing interview i swear i was speaking a warp speed, im a stoke-on-trent girl and naturally speak rather fast and with an accent, it was hard to slow down, but i found taking a second or two before responding, or even repeating the question gave me time before responding to compose and calm down

Latest

Trending

Trending