The Student Room Group

Unless you get an A you don't truly understand the subject?

Hi,

I was just wondering what peoples views were on this. I know know A-Levels aren't particularly advanced in the grand scale of things seeing as you can do masters degrees etc etc

It's just that I got a B in A-Level Chemistry last year and I really don't feel like I understand it at all. Or do you think it's more of a confidance thing? Like thinking yay I got an A so I must be good.

Just curious
Reply 1
If you truly understand a subject, it is very likely that you'll get an A.
The converse is not true: Getting an A does not imply you understand anything.
that is a very good point
Reply 3
There's lots of my subjects that i don't fully understand, even in Maths, which i do so much extra work for. It's because subjects are never-ending, so you can't understand everything.

I personally hate how a lot of an A Level involves just accepting things, so you can do extra work on a subject. Maybe i just don't like not fully understanding something, i dunno.

Haha, i think i missed the point of this thread completely :tongue:
Reply 4
Y__

yes, definitely true
Reply 5
I think it's kind of true.
Na, I think its the exam technique that is important to master. I pretty much find it impossible to get good marks in exam essay questions - not always because i havent understood the material but because they are looking for particular wording and I dont know how to write it in a way they want me to write it. Applies for any subject, I just dont have much luck with essays in exams.

Plus its all about your luck on the day - if you happen to have a **** day then you'll slip a grade.
Reply 7
Y__

I like this.
Reply 8
I feel my understanding of chemistry is generally very good. I'm just a bit lazy when it comes to learning facts, which is what the bulk of A-levels are, so ended up with a B at AS.
Reply 9
I think that if you didn't get an A, you don't understand the subject.

People will mention exam technique, but come on, this is ridiculous. Good exam technique is a way for those who would not normally do as well as they could do better. If you truly understand a subject, it will show in exams.

However, lots of people who get As don't understand the subject at all.
Reply 10
Err, I got an A in A-level Chemistry and I hardly understood anything...
Reply 11
what you have to remember is that those who are marking your papers have their own ideas as to what constitutes 'sound understanding' of a subject. Marking exam papers is never an objective thing IMO.

The marker is marking from a certain viewpoint and train of thought. I mean yeah they are given guidelines and stuff to follow by but their own opinion on the matter always comes into play.

I mean i got a B in my sociology a level.. 4 marks off an A.. so what does that mean? I dont understand 4 points of sociology but other then that my understanding is good?

And also if you are going to think that getting an A in a subject means you understand it properly, what you have to take into count is how much of an A grade you got, did you just scrape it? Did you get 100%??

Personally i have never been really fussed about grades equalling to understanding a subject, if i understand a subject then i understant it.. i dont need some external marker and a grade to tell me if i do or dont.

thats just my way of thinking tho
I think it's more that you can't truly be arsed revising.
Reply 13
Y__

This post sums it up correctly.

+ rep.

Exam technique counts for a good chunk of the marks available, so a less than adequate understanding with excellent exam technique may well get you an A whereas somebody more able who has done less exam practice may well get a B.
Reply 14
Y__

This
Reply 15
I don't truly understand maths yet I know what to do to reach the answer.

I can follow the process yet not know why I'm doing it.

I got an A like this in GCSE and I am currently not fiinding AS level to difficult.
Reply 16
becky.fm
There's lots of my subjects that i don't fully understand, even in Maths, which i do so much extra work for. It's because subjects are never-ending, so you can't understand everything.

I personally hate how a lot of an A Level involves just accepting things, so you can do extra work on a subject. Maybe i just don't like not fully understanding something, i dunno.

Haha, i think i missed the point of this thread completely :tongue:

I find some things I just don't understand so just accept it and move on which is really frustrating because I really want to understand it more..and know why something is such way etc...not just accept and move on if that makes sense!
Reply 17
You could understand 100% about the course, but still end up with a U. It's about exam practice and developing answering techniques.
JayAyy
You could understand 100% about the course, but still end up with a U. It's about exam practice and developing answering techniques.

Well you could technically, but wouldn't really :tongue:
Unless you tried really hard to fail...
exams aren't always the best way to measure someones understanding of a subject, it depends on the subject I think. For example my A-level Biology exams and coursework were marked so stupidly sometimes I found myself getting questions wrong where I knew the answer all because of the bloody mark scheme that means I have to word the answer very precisely. Its crap, granted I could have been more knowledgeable but I for some of the questions if an examiner had asked me in person to explain it they would know I understood it even if my answer in the exam wasn't to the mark scheme!!! also negative marking in course work is stupid, coursework doesn't always show understanding of the subject. Subjective subjects like art and english are also difficult to get an A in and even if you do after memorising certain lingo there isn't really a right or wrong answer, its like trying to say a-levels measure someones intelligence, it measures more someones ability to memorise and write exams to a certain formula....just my opinon anyway

Latest