The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

No Future
I'm not staying in Scotland, but if I want to keep my options open...

Yes, Susie is always right about that darnit!

Who is this Dr Nichol?

Hah, yeah they don't sound too fun. Some in the middle of nowhere?

Ta
x

Dr Nicol is the physiology and pharmacology fuhrer. He is attempting to stop time by steadily increasing the amount of stuff he crams into lectures exponentially, and at the same time decreasing its interest factor. He has very nearly nailed it.

I think you meet him in a few weeks.

Placements as a whole are a waste of time. If you get ones in the middle of nowhere its a plus as you get to spend half your time getting there.
terpineol
Dr Nicol is the physiology and pharmacology fuhrer. He is attempting to stop time by steadily increasing the amount of stuff he crams into lectures exponentially, and at the same time decreasing its interest factor. He has very nearly nailed it.

I think you meet him in a few weeks.

Placements as a whole are a waste of time. If you get ones in the middle of nowhere its a plus as you get to spend half your time getting there.

Can't wait!
Exam time cram equates to about 8 hours a day for about a week. So,56 hours is what I typically manage in study time. However, during normal term time with lectures I manage about 3-4 hours a night.
It completely depends on the course structure and your work ethic I guess. Lord knows that I've done more studying in the past week than I have for the entire first year so far. We were told we should be aiming for about 1 hour of home studying per 1 hour of lecture.
Reply 24
Quicksilver87
It completely depends on the course structure and your work ethic I guess. Lord knows that I've done more studying in the past week than I have for the entire first year so far. We were told we should be aiming for about 1 hour of home studying per 1 hour of lecture.

Touche.
terpineol
Financial penalties?

How does that work?

Do your disciplinary councils fine you? (here at least you can't be fined on academic matters, and missing things will get you shouted at/thrown out, but never fined).

As for my work load, probably 25 hours scheduled things a week, and you need to do about another 25 hours or so to actually have a hope in hell of passing the exams. (Gone are the days when I could swing exams)

I THINK we don't get our bursary, or atleast not all of it (£560 a month) I'm not sure about nurses on the degree program, i think they don't get any of it
anna_spanner89
I THINK we don't get our bursary, or atleast not all of it (£560 a month) I'm not sure about nurses on the degree program, i think they don't get any of it

Ah bursery stuff, like missing lessons and not getting EMA I guess then. Fair doos.

Burseries here are as rare as rocking horse 'matter', and tend to depend on exam results only.
Reply 27
Wangers
How? Most lectures will be optional, and lets be honest - every medical student is generally a master of the slack-cram cycle.

Ours aren't optional we have regular registers and some we have to get signed off in log books and also if it is an official document they are probably going to want to know the official number of contact hours rather than how many people are going to turn up to.

Plus the uni will know the number of hours that there are meant to be if you ask them.
Reply 28
Democracy
Depends on the uni...I think some have registers and stuff to fill in but others you can bunk off whenever you want.

in edinburgh tuesdays and fridays are remarkably empty (psychosocial/socio-economics days with a 50% turn out) whereas monday, wed and thursday when we do actual medicine stuff are usually well attended (90% upwards i would say)

we dont have a register but i still wouldnt like missing things on a regular basis tbh because i wouldn't understand the stuff when it comes to exams

i thin hte amount of work you do depends on the uni, here we are told everything for our exams will be in the learnign outcomes (quite a few arent covered by lectures) so most of us do a fair bit of work outside lectures whereas blueroses who is at newcastle keeps telling me that they do hardly any work outside lectures!
Reply 29
lectures and seminars are non compulsory here - attendance is very variable (depending on the lecturer and topic)
compulsory sessions are usually registered (though sometimes spot registers are taken rather than every session)
to answer the question we have +/- 20 hrs scheduled things and should do 20n hours on top. as little as possible really!!
Reply 31
For me, it's anywhere between 5 and 50 hours a week. It varies completely depending on firm, take, exam proximity and whether I'm bothered.
ThisLittlePiggy
Exam time cram equates to about 8 hours a day for about a week. So,56 hours is what I typically manage in study time. However, during normal term time with lectures I manage about 3-4 hours a night.

3-4 hours a night?! I'm lucky to manage that over 3-4 days... Maybe that explains my Basic Sci mark in Jan... :s-smilie:
Reply 33
Well im a first year imperial medic....the weeks vary alot, last term i had about 15 hours a week. This term is a bit less. Because there are soo many students, they assign mondays and thursday for PBL, patient contact course and clinical communication, which means you always have either the afternoon or morning off and quite often the entire day.

Although i start anatomy tomorrow which is taking place every thursday so from next week i will have about 16 hours a week. As for self study, its not much at all. It relli is true about cramming. Maybe 5-10 hours a week with no exams in sight.
Becca-Sarah
3-4 hours a night?! I'm lucky to manage that over 3-4 days... Maybe that explains my Basic Sci mark in Jan... :s-smilie:

It is really damn hard trying to do that much work and you should be happy with what you manage. I only managed that in my 1st year because I was more isolated from my friends,well less than 5 minutes away, but it was enough to keep me working.

How'd they go? Did you get a pass?
I'm at Hilly, but still no reason not to work. I know I need to do more. I just prefer lazying around watching House! My Regent is thoroughly disappointed that my lack of work isn't due to doing sport every weeknight and being pissed all weekend.
I passed, but only a 10 in Basic and a 16 in Sys 1. Please tell me second yr is easier?
Reply 36
Becca-Sarah
I'm at Hilly, but still no reason not to work. I know I need to do more. I just prefer lazying around watching House! My Regent is thoroughly disappointed that my lack of work isn't due to doing sport every weeknight and being pissed all weekend.
I passed, but only a 10 in Basic and a 16 in Sys 1. Please tell me second yr is easier?

Apparently second year at imperial is one of the hardest years.
joshwaah
Apparently second year at imperial is one of the hardest years.

Second year, in Scotland,has often been said to be the make or break year. In-fact my friends in Edinburgh have been told this before by a Professor of theirs.

Becca, you passed and that is all that matters. 16 is a mark that you should be proud of and it is worth remembering that tons of people,as I'm told, fail basic science. So,take heart and well done.
Quicksilver87

At the moment it seems you can get away with doing next to nothing if you attend most lectures. At the other end of the scale, i know a few people who do *nothing* but work and still don't necessarily do much better than most people.
Reply 39
davidthegreat
At the moment it seems you can get away with doing next to nothing if you attend most lectures. At the other end of the scale, i know a few people who do *nothing* but work and still don't necessarily do much better than most people.

Well excluding embryology - the whole system fits it makes sense if you can 'visualise' it as a dynamic system, its more important that you understand the principles then memorise I think.. The people that are working are doing the spls, most seem to wait and print from moodle.

Latest

Trending

Trending