The Student Room Group
University of York
York

PPE vs/ & Economics at York

Very cheeky and audacious question but, firstly:

Is it possible to/How 'easy' is it to switch from L100 Econ to PPE at York, once already admitted?

Secondly, and this is where the audacity seeps through, Is it possible to do both simultaneously?...like double majors in the USA. If one is genuinely interested in doing so, willing to pay the necessary extra tuition fees, and hardworking/able enough do to so (I'm not saying I am!), then is this a possibility?

I've heard many great things about the York PPE course, of which I was previously unaware, such as "it's the second best university to do PPE, second only to Oxford" and other similar remarks, with emphasis upon the flexibility within the course (which would mean a lot of the Econ & PPE modules could overlap).
Reply 1
Email them and find out, although I doubt you could do both at the same time.

And whilst changing from one to the other wouldn't be as easy as changing within the School of PEP, I'm sure it's possible if you twiddle the right knobs whilst there. :biggrin:
University of York
York
lol that's pretty weird that you'd want to do two degrees at the same time. You should ask them, just in case. I reckon they won't let you but there's absolutely no harm in asking and I'm curious to know what they say. :wink:

I think there's quite a high chance that you can switch from Economics to PPE once you start there. I can't guarantee it but they're normally quite accomodating I think.
Reply 3
have people already got their economics or ppe offers? I've been waiting on an offer for philosophy and economics for aggesssss
Reply 4
Lots of offers have been given out - mine was given out practically straight away - but there are always people that they leave hanging on for ages. Annoying, really. And your application will have been dealt with in the same way as everybody else applying for a degree in the School of PEP - that doesn't include straight Economics, though.
Reply 5
Don't email them, ring up the admissions department and do so ASAP.
Pick PPE. Econ has a very high dropout rate, and with PPE you can specialize which modules from each department you want the most.
Whatever you do, if you decide to switch, tell them IMMEDIATELY! I waited until week 3, and they made me repeat the year.
Reply 7
IeuanF
Lots of offers have been given out - mine was given out practically straight away - but there are always people that they leave hanging on for ages. Annoying, really. And your application will have been dealt with in the same way as everybody else applying for a degree in the School of PEP - that doesn't include straight Economics, though.

They're probably toying with me - I doubt I'll get an offer but if i do i'll be choosing between sheffield vs york..... night life vs better education maybe??
Going from PPE to Econ is possible and very plausible once you are there, but the other way around is not.
Reply 9
spanish
They're probably toying with me - I doubt I'll get an offer but if i do i'll be choosing between sheffield vs york..... night life vs better education maybe??

Leeds is only 30 minutes from York and is a better night out than Sheffs anyway :wink:
Reply 10
Leeds is my insurance due to them offering me the lowest grades, I thought it may be silly to have an insurance with higher grades then the firm :smile:
spanish
Leeds is my insurance due to them offering me the lowest grades, I thought it may be silly to have an insurance with higher grades then the firm :smile:

What I mean is that you shouldn't choose Sheffield over York just because of the nightlife; it's easy to get a train to Leeds and have a good night out. York's nightlife isn't bad anyway.
Either way, you've a nice set of offers in Sheffs and Leeds! Congrats and good luck on York.
Reply 12
That's very true! If York offer me ABB (even though im predicted AAB) i will 90% chose York.... which i don't count on though... Thankss
Reply 13
1 Economic Historian
Very cheeky and audacious question but, firstly:

Is it possible to/How 'easy' is it to switch from L100 Econ to PPE at York, once already admitted?

Secondly, and this is where the audacity seeps through, Is it possible to do both simultaneously?...like double majors in the USA. If one is genuinely interested in doing so, willing to pay the necessary extra tuition fees, and hardworking/able enough do to so (I'm not saying I am!), then is this a possibility?

I've heard many great things about the York PPE course, of which I was previously unaware, such as "it's the second best university to do PPE, second only to Oxford" and other similar remarks, with emphasis upon the flexibility within the course (which would mean a lot of the Econ & PPE modules could overlap).

I got unconditional for L100 and switched, without any problems , to LV15 Econ & Philosophy which is run by the School of PEP ( just e-mailed them ), I reckon it might be harder to switch to PPE, but I think it's still perfefectly possible, in fact last year someone from TSR did that.

I'm 99% sure that it's not possible to do both at the same time. If you want more economics don't do PPE, but Economics and either Politics or Philosophy, you still benefit from great teaching and affilation to the School of PEP but have more credits to spend on Economics modules , bear in mind that if you choose PPE you can't do IST (more advanced statistics) and Mathematics I which are neccessry for more mathsy 2nd year econ modules - like the capital markets

Latest

Trending

Trending