The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

joshwaah
Do u not think that as the complaints mounted people would begin to see that he is a liability to the surgery. Fair enough switch doctors, but you should also make it known that you were not happy with the service. Something will get done about it, it may take ages, but thats the system we live in and its better than avoiding the situation.

Clearly not. Like I said, we'd been with the same doctor for ten years, and we knew so many people who had lodged form complaints over that time, and never heard back or saw any change in his behaviour. My parents submitted complaints themselves right at the beginning, but at most they got a standard letter thanking them for their input.

Renal
You think it's up to you? :rolleyes:

(But well done for checking, try looking first next time:

Well as a patient, I would say my opinion is pretty important, yes.
And I knew where I was posting originally. Like I said, I just don't think that medical students have the sole opinion on the matter.

Democracy
No, but it does put repetitive complaining into perspective. At the end of the day you didn't write a letter of complaint against him, never mind what other people have "apparently" done.

My parents have complained in the past, when we joined the surgery. It did nothing. And it did nothing for the people we know have reported him continuously since. In the end, you just have to accept that when being are being ignored by whoever it is you complain to (never sent one myself), they're going to give up. This GPs patients have complained continuously for the last decade, and when he's still acting exactly the same ten years down the line, can you blame them for simply giving up and switching to a doctor who gives a ****?
Reply 41
Joanna May
Well as a patient, I would say my opinion is pretty important, yes.
The NHS sees, on average, eight patients every second. What makes you think that your views are more important than the other ~500,000 people who see a GP on the same day?
Reply 42
Joanna May

My parents have complained in the past, when we joined the surgery. It did nothing. And it did nothing for the people we know have reported him continuously since. In the end, you just have to accept that when being are being ignored by whoever it is you complain to (never sent one myself), they're going to give up. This GPs patients have complained continuously for the last decade, and when he's still acting exactly the same ten years down the line, can you blame them for simply giving up and switching to a doctor who gives a ****?

Do u not think that if so many people had complained about him and/or switched off his services the administrators might have realised something isnt right. Im thinking that maybe not as many people have made complaints about him than u might think.
Reply 43
Renal
The NHS sees, on average, eight patients every second. What makes you think that your views are more important than the other ~500,000 people who see a GP on the same day?

maybe because their are other people who have similar views as her?
Reply 44
jabed786
maybe because their are other people who have similar views as her?
:no:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/bsp/hi/pdfs/24_07_07patientsurvey.pdf
joshwaah
Do u not think that if so many people had complained about him and/or switched off his services the administrators might have realised something isnt right. Im thinking that maybe not as many people have made complaints about him than u might think.

They have. Enough people have the evidence they made complaints (the same ****** letter we got, which thanked us for our input), that you would think something would have been done. Even if most of the people who said they complained were lying, the amount of complaints we've seen proof were made in the first year we joined his surgery alone is enough that something should have been done.

Renal

I never said it was more important than other patients. But it is still important. If your attitude towards people who simply state their opinion is like this when you are being paid to be a doctor, then god help your patients, since their opinions mean so very little to you.
Reply 46
Joanna May
They have. Enough people have the evidence they made complaints (the same ****** letter we got, which thanked us for our input), that you would think something would have been done. Even if most of the people who said they complained were lying

Well all im saying is that it is illogical and to keep a doctor who appears to be doing so badly. I know its not like that in a lot of places as i constantly here of doctors being burned for such small things. Maybe then you should take the responsibility yourself to take further action and make sure something is done about him.
Reply 47
Joanna May
I never said it was more important than other patients. But it is still important.
******** you're not. I think my GP doesn't do this, therefore all doctors don't, therefore you should all do it the way I want? :rolleyes:

If your attitude towards people who simply state their opinion is like this when you are being paid to be a doctor, then god help your patients, since their opinions mean so very little to you.
We go back to our lady demanding a brain scan - would she like that with or without contrast? T1 or T2 weighted?
Reply 48
Joanna May
I never said it was more important. But it is still important. If your attitude towards people who simply state their opinion is like this when you are being paid to be a doctor, then god help your patients, since their opinions mean so very little to you.

To be fair to Renal just because he acts a particular way on TSR doesn't mean that he is acting badly towards his patients. The way I am around my friends and family is nothing like the way that I am around patients and when I am in the hospital.

I don't think that you can really draw a conclusion about the sort of doctor/medical student that someone is just because of what they are saying on an internet forum.
Reply 49

this is quite strange, we got the Patient survey just a few days ago. Shan't digress... the pdf doesn't seem to have the results for the questions which asked how well the doctor listened to the patient, how well the doctor asked about symptoms. Which could shed some light on satistfaction with the actual appointment with doctor?
Renal
******** you're not. I think GP doesn't do this, therefore all doctors don't?

No. That isn't what I said at all. I realise most doctors do the things I said. But equally most of them do all the things that have been mentioned by someone else. I would have thought what I suggested would be standard practise for ALL doctors, but I provided anecdotes to back up my opinion that not all do. I never said "all doctors fail to listen to their patients", I said some do, and provided mine as an example.

randdom
I don't think that you can really draw a conclusion about the sort of doctor/medical student that someone is just because of what they are saying on an internet forum.

That's why I said "If...". I hope he isn't like this with his patients. That doesn't change the fact that he is being unnecessarily aggressive towards me when all I've done is comment on the question asked in the OP, and in my opinion he seems to have an issue with patients expressing their opinions.

joshwaah
Well all im saying is that it is illogical and to keep a doctor who appears to be doing so badly. I know its not like that in a lot of places as i constantly here of doctors being burned for such small things. Maybe then you should take the responsibility yourself to take further action and make sure something is done about him.

We have complained. Our friends and neighbours have complained. No one listened. Why would "further action" be any more successful than all the complaints we've registered thus far? It is the responsibility of whoever it is that regulates doctors to make sure something is done, based on patient complaints. And they apparently disagree and think that the doctor is doing nothing wrong. Can you really blame us for just switching doctors, rather than putting ourselves out even further just to be ignored again.

Heck,maybe when he finally kills someone, they'll do something about him. Until then, I won't hold my breath.

jabed786
this is quite strange, we got the Patient survey just a few days ago. Shan't digress... the pdf doesn't seem to have the results for the questions which asked how well the doctor listened to the patient, how well the doctor asked about symptoms. Which could shed some light on satistfaction with the actual appointment with doctor?

That's the one from last year, or the year before. They haven't finished collecting the ones for this year, since I got sent a second one in the post yesterday. I can honestly say that the only things I could make a good remark about on that survey was how easy it was to get an appointment. Everything else (within the specified questions), my doctor failed miserably on.
Reply 51
Joanna May
No. That isn't what I said at all. I realise most doctors do the things I said. But equally most of them do all the things that have been mentioned by someone else. I would have thought what I suggested would be standard practise for ALL doctors, but I provided anecdotes to back up my opinion that not all do. I never said "all doctors fail to listen to their patients", I said some do, and provided mine as an example.
:no:

Fail...
Renal
The ability to communicate effectively - verbally and in writing. In my opinion, everything hinges on this one thing.

Almost identical to what I said yesterday, almost down to the wording :yes:
Epic patience, combined with the ability to tell the scum generally referred to as patients to jog on as and when required (probably one in two consultations in my experience).
terpineol
the ability to tell the scum generally referred to as patients to jog on as and when required

:rofl: Slightly harsh...
Reply 55
Alex L
Almost identical to what I said yesterday, almost down to the wording :yes:
Who's brainwashed who?
Reply 56
Alex L
:rofl: Slightly harsh...
More than slightly true.
Renal
More than slightly true.

I think when people go to their school and say they want to do medicine, we should find a way to bring them up to the level of cynicism seen is everyone who actually got there and did a couple of years plus. Then see if its still so competitive.

I honestly can no longer see why the hell people are so damned keen to apply for this heap of steaming ahem.
terpineol
I think when people go to their school and say they want to do medicine, we should find a way to bring them up to the level of cynicism seen is everyone who actually got there and did a couple of years plus. Then see if its still so competitive.

I honestly can no longer see why the hell people are so damned keen to apply for this heap of steaming ahem.

I know when I was applying a fair few people tried, I got the "all patients are liars" and the "patients will have no respect for you and won't appreciate your time" cards thrown at me. I thought they were joking, but it would seem only partially so :/
Reply 59
If that's the level of cynicism you develop why you do clinical work. I can't bleedin' wait :h: :h:

Latest

Trending

Trending