The Student Room Group
It's just a generic southern accent, there's nothing unique. Ranges from your bog-standard "common" accent through bog-standard middle-class, and beyond.
Reply 2
I miss my ex's Bournemouthian accent :frown:
EdwardCurrent
It's just a generic southern accent, there's nothing unique. Ranges from your bog-standard "common" accent through bog-standard middle-class, and beyond.

Is it less grating than Essex/London? In the common one?

I figure Bournemouth must be about perfect, not too South-Eastern, not too South-Western.
It's just an average southern accent, nothing special
I live in Dorset right near Bournemouth and most of the accent down here is pretty normal southern English. Sometimes you get a slight yokel farmer type accent (Though thats more in the villages than in Bournemouth or Poole) but mostly its just ordinary southern accent.
'Brighton/Bournemouth'? Bit vague, they're quite far apart - I'd be willing to bet locals could tell 'em apart. Definitely towards Bournemouth it's less south-eastern and there's a slight tinge of western in it. I've got a mate from southampton and he sounds a bit like that.
I'm from near Brighton and i honestly don't think we have that much of an accent, we pronounce words differently, like bath etc. And of course we sound different from up North, but southern people all practically sound the same, apart from the people who have slight accents from up north, then it becomes a mixture of 2 accents lol.
I have always lived in Bournemouth. Can't think of way to describe it other than we tend to put 'r's in things (Barth, laurgh, gararge etc) and we say breakfast, lunch and dinner. :tongue: Other than that it is typical southern accent.

Contrary to the person who told me that southerners drive tractors we don't :tongue:
Reply 9
I always thought it was the general southern accent. I live about 20 minutes from Brighton and I haven't noticed any difference from it to any other southern accents.
ohemmacharlotte
I'm from near Brighton and i honestly don't think we have that much of an accent, we pronounce words differently, like bath etc. And of course we sound different from up North, but southern people all practically sound the same, apart from the people who have slight accents from up north, then it becomes a mixture of 2 accents lol.

Cambridge/Suffolk is kinda different
I love Bournemotuh accents, I can't describe mine but I like listening to myself in a video or something, sounds straaange.
ohemmacharlotte

i'm from bournemouth nd i dnt think we have 1 either! but then again that could be because i'm surrounded by fellow bournemouth dwellers!
kinda just a bog standard british accent i think!
apocalipse117
i'm from bournemouth nd i dnt think we have 1 either! but then again that could be because i'm surrounded by fellow bournemouth dwellers!
kinda just a bog standard british accent i think!

I think it's like someone else said we put 'r's in some words or just exaggerate the sound a slight bit. I met a girl from Liverpool girl on holiday and she guess we was from around this area, she said she hated it... coming from a scouse!!
Cupid Stunt
I think it's like someone else said we put 'r's in some words or just exaggerate the sound a slight bit. I met a girl from Liverpool girl on holiday and she guess we was from around this area, she said she hated it... coming from a scouse!!

she hates our accent... don't even get me started!
(no offense to anyone from liverpool, just not a fan of the accent)
:giggle: Please try not to turn this into an accent bashing :p:
Reply 16
Brighton & Bournemouth are pretty far apart! Its usually a usual southern accent, but Bournemouth/Southampton sometimes has a bit of a western twinge :smile:
Yeah but have you ever been to Liverpool? Albert dock an all that is lush. I feel much safer in Liverpool at night than in Bournemouth.I’m originally from Southampton but grew up in Bournemouth. Bournemouth (Or poole) lean more towards a twang of West Country. Southampton is a mix of West Country and London. Brighton is London accent. We worked with someone from Brighton and his nickname was ‘safff of the rivaaa!’ (South of the river)
Original post by Dizzletwizzle
Yeah but have you ever been to Liverpool? Albert dock an all that is lush. I feel much safer in Liverpool at night than in Bournemouth.I’m originally from Southampton but grew up in Bournemouth. Bournemouth (Or poole) lean more towards a twang of West Country. Southampton is a mix of West Country and London. Brighton is London accent. We worked with someone from Brighton and his nickname was ‘safff of the rivaaa!’ (South of the river)

really? u might be new here but cant u see this is 10 yrs old..?