The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

osman705
How 'Hard' Is the further maths if im aiming for A/A* for Gcse Mathematics. (Im not actually gifted, I revise a lil)

FM is definitely do-able, but you do have to put the work in. It also depends on the modules that you'll be taking at school, some are easier than others.

Getting an A* at GCSE doesn't mean much if you don't do the work needed at A Level.
Reply 2
I think realisticly if you are thinking of doing FM at A-level then you really should get A*. I think if you get A then you still should do it if somehow the maths test had a lot on stuff you didn't bother to look at it but honestly you really want to be great at maths to want to do FM. Of course, you have to work hard too, but that's a given for anything in life.
Zetein
^This.

Doing FM generally requires you to do the whole maths A level in one year, and then move onto FM in the second. A level is a lot different to GCSE and I know many that struggle to cope with the work load, especially when trying to learn C1-C4 in less than a year!

learning C1-C4 in one year is definitely the 1st sign of the heavy workload
Reply 4
You really need to love mathematics to do fm, or it'll overwhealm you, eat you up and spit you out like nobody's business...
Reply 5
I just started further maths at AS and am also currently doing AS Maths. FM is definately harder than AS maths so you'd need to sacrifice yor sleep if you plan on some last moment preperation.
FM is like the hardest A level isn't it?
Reply 7
From what I'v seen, people who get an A at GCSE tend to struggle quite a bit and even a lot of those who got an A* still struggle. The problem is that most people don't do much work at GCSE and come out with excellent results and they assume they can do the same for A Level Further Maths. Some people can, but most can't! If you really want to do it and are prepared to work hard, a strong A grade or an A* would be enough.
Reply 8
Yes
Reply 9
Waterstorm
FM is like the hardest A level isn't it?

It depends on the person, for example to me Maths & Further Maths are the easiest A-Levels because Maths is my best subject, but for someone who isn't that good at maths would definitely think that FM is the hardest A-Level.
Reply 10
Lilliesha
It depends on the person, for example to me Maths & Further Maths are the easiest A-Levels because Maths is my best subject, but for someone who isn't that good at maths would definitely think that FM is the hardest A-Level.

:ditto:
I find Economics harder than FM.
Reply 11
rapha
:ditto:
I find Economics harder than FM.

And I find Economics to be the easiest subject, whereas sociology to be the hardest.:biggrin:
Reply 12
Zetein
^This.

Doing FM generally requires you to do the whole maths A level in one year, and then move onto FM in the second. A level is a lot different to GCSE and I know many that struggle to cope with the work load, especially when trying to learn C1-C4 in less than a year!

Some colleges are different... I'm doing AS Maths and FM and A2 next year...
Reply 13
the A level in normal maths is easy enough if you find it as was said earlier your 'easiest subject' however even if it is your easiest subject the a level in further maths is solid i just started FP2 and FP3 and its a lot more work and understanding than anyone can estimate
ooo it also depends on what board you're doing. I know that edexcel changed their syllabus and dropped some topics, which looked like they made the A Level easier. But I think the questions themselves are harder now.
Reply 15
I got an A in my GCSE Maths (actually, 1 mark away from A* :s-smilie:ad:smile: and I took A level maths and further maths.

In my opinion, further maths is harder than core maths and definitely requires quite a lot of work, and it takes some time to get your head around some of the things.
people stop scare-mongering. further maths isn't as bad as you are all making it out to be - yer of course you need some brain to do it, but more motivation than brain...

As with anything...if you have a natural talent in something, you'll do better in it. I did maths, further maths, physics and geography, and i found the first three combined easier than a level geography!!!!! Geography was all essays and boy did it suck the life out of me:O.

either way....C1-C4 in a year is minor...in my days i did P1-P3 + 3 applied...they've split the 3 modules into 4 and taken away one applied module, effectively dumbing down the a level.

Anyhow, to the OP, it's not about the A* either...mate of mine got B in gcse maths, and he got AA in maths and further maths for a level cos he found some much needed motivation and was probably excited interested in a levels....whatever you decide to do...just make sure you have the motivation...that is the main thing:smile:.

also screw that comment about sleepness nights...i used to bunk a further maths class weekly to go climbing....and i never lost sleep!...you guys are so scare-mongering...just chill...the lot of you!

blue
miss katie
the A level in normal maths is easy enough if you find it as was said earlier your 'easiest subject' however even if it is your easiest subject the a level in further maths is solid i just started FP2 and FP3 and its a lot more work and understanding than anyone can estimate

hi katie, welcome to thestudentroom:biggrin:...what a diligent first post!
Reply 18
hey! haha thanks im still not really sure about this whole thing but ah well ill get there
Reply 19
Further Maths is Very Easy...:smile:

I achieved 591/600 with just 10 minutes of question practice...:smile:

Latest