The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!
They can put the founders in jail but others will take the mantle.

Just saying, is all.
Reply 3
Long live TPB!
Reply 4
TheBlindestPilot
Does anyone actually have a moral obligation against downloading films or music? I can't say I've met ANYONE who has.
I'm aware of quite a few who feel that they've been stolen from.
I doubt anything will happen at all.
Reply 6
Wait, they can't legally be prosecuted:

1. TPB only supplies links that points to locations, doesn't actually hold any copyright material on its servers.
2. I read somewhere that the above is not illegal in Sweden.
Reply 7
oh:eek: they avoided anything like that for so long
Reply 8
mazza558
They can put the founders in jail but others will take the mantle.

Just saying, is all.

I can't see how though. They don't host any copyrighted content themselves - the torrent files are just links to links to content - and the servers are hosted outside Sweden, so the Swedish courts should have no interest in the case whatsoever.

But yes you are right, if they are jailed, someone else will take over the reigns at TPB - since it's hosted outside Sweden it will continue to run after the trial, regardless of the outcome.
Reply 9
I don't have a problem with it. Generally because I do it very rarely very rarely download something I would pay to see.

Infact, the last time I paid to see a film was about eight years ago.

In short, if I want music I borrow it from a mate, films I borrow DVDs from mates or the uni library. In either case its free.

On the very rare occasion I find something cracking without paying for it, I'll normally try and hit the adverts on the artists website once a day for a week or two.
Reply 10
No way! This must not happen!! :eek3:

Not that I've ever used that website before :ninja:
They're fighting a losing battle and TPB is but one of the many straws at which they're clutching.
Reply 12
FXX
I can't see how though. They don't host any copyrighted content themselves - the torrent files are just links to links to content - and the servers are hosted outside Sweden, so the Swedish courts should have no interest in the case whatsoever.

Facilitation? Criminal negligence?
Reply 13
Planto
Facilitation? Criminal negligence?

They aren't breaking any laws in their country...

and before you say anything else, it's not like america jumps at holland for saying "prostitution" is illegal in our country so abolish it in yours..
Reply 14
giran

and before you say anything else, it's not like america jumps at holland for saying "prostitution" is illegal in our country so abolish it in yours..
Absolutely, its not like America has a treaty with Sweden like they do with us where they can extradite people for trial in America however we can't do it back. Major record companies get too much money anyway.
Reply 15
giran

Prostitutes in Holland aren't accessible from America.
Reply 16
TheBlindestPilot
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2009/feb/14/pirate-bay-trial

Does anyone actually have a moral obligation against downloading films or music? I can't say I've met ANYONE who has.

Yes, it's blatant theft. That said, I still do it.
Reply 17
Planto
Prostitutes in Holland aren't accessible from America.

www.klm.com

L i b

It's not theft because you aren't permanently removing it.
Like other services in the pirate industry, The Pirate Bay has been down before and bounced back easy enough. There will always be places to download what you like from.
Reply 19
L i b
See I don't see it as theft seeing as you aren't taking profit from copyright holders (mostly) but from Record Companies.

Latest