The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Can someone explain the concept of TPB to me? I have heard of it, just never used it as I don't want nasty little viruses swarming my computer and wouldn't really know which downloads would be safe etc.
Reply 21
I support music piracy(from certain labels). Film piracy I don't support though.
Reply 22
PurpleMonkeyDishwasher
Can someone explain the concept of TPB to me? I have heard of it, just never used it as I don't want nasty little viruses swarming my computer and wouldn't really know which downloads would be safe etc.
Big torrent search engine.
----------------
Now playing: Apocalyptica - Hall Of Mountain King via FoxyTunes
Reply 23
The_Bear

You wouldn't be accessing them from America, then, would you?

It's not theft because you aren't permanently removing it.

How is that revelant? Semantic technicalities don't make it any less illegal.

I'm no expert on Swedish law, mind, though I'm sure there must be legislation regarding criminal negligence or equivalent.

Regarding it "not being illegal to share music and software" in Sweden; that's absolute rubbish on so many levels.

No pirate bay...!? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3:
Reply 25
shame
they did good though, holding out for so long
Reply 26
Planto
You wouldn't be accessing them from America, then, would you?

In a way you would. The whole legal system needs updating for the internet.

How is that revelant? Semantic technicalities don't make it any less illegal.

I'm no expert on Swedish law, mind, though I'm sure there must be legislation regarding criminal negligence or equivalent.

Regarding it "not being illegal to share music and software" in Sweden; that's absolute rubbish on so many levels.

Err, it's not theft but it's still copywright. There are laws for that already...

I don't give a **** to be honest, there will always been piracy and hopefully it will crush the fags at the MPAA and RIAA who are just upset they were so slow on the uptake with the internet. Losing out on money is justifiable punishment for stupidity.
Reply 27
Planto
Prostitutes in Holland aren't accessible from America.

That's another medium though. The internet is global, otherwise you'd only have a massive WAN for each country/continent.
People should just use Spotify and stop being pirate faggots.
Reply 29
giran
That's another medium though. The internet is global, otherwise you'd only have a massive WAN for each country/continent.

Exactly; it's completely different, why use poor analogies? ±_±
Reply 30
Lol I always love stories like this its very funny to see how futile the law is on the internet.

One point of interest, anyone else notice how their not just suing the actual people behind it but also some rich guy ? I quite like that I think it sorta shows that the creators aren't making a lot of money from it.

Ohh also the bit about “The criminal prosecution of the Pirate Bay is about protecting creators from those who violate their rights and deprive them of their deserved rewards” ..... i wonder what percentage of the final revenue do you think the average artist gets for say a song ?
Meh it's still not offline, I reckon it'll carry on. Their idea of buying Sealand was one of the best things I'd ever heard, they should be allowed to do whatever they like just for suggesting to do that.
Reply 32
Planto
Exactly; it's completely different, why use poor analogies? ±_±

Beats me...

Still, it's only the RIAA and MPAA bitching, no one else complains about it. Even 50 percent said how file sharing doesn't really harm artists. Regardless of him being a poor artist he is a superdon and he said it himself that people will come to live shows and it works out best. Thats the way it should be, not making music so much from producing/sales...
Reply 33
giran
Beats me...

Still, it's only the RIAA and MPAA bitching, no one else complains about it. Even 50 percent said how file sharing doesn't really harm artists. Regardless of him being a poor artist he is a superdon and he said it himself that people will come to live shows and it works out best. Thats the way it should be, not making music so much from producing/sales...

Yeah, I agree, it harms the corporations and helps the artists. Particularly the obscure ones you'd have never even considered if it weren't for the free download. But still, legally there are plenty of no-nos there.
Reply 34
Planto
Yeah, I agree, it harms the corporations and helps the artists. Particularly the obscure ones you'd have never even considered if it weren't for the free download. But still, legally there are plenty of no-nos there.

Yup. To be honest if file sharing was prohibited by the fullest extent of the laws, they would need alot of police officers and alot of cells to arrest alot of teenages/youths....

I don't even think the UK has enough money and time for that :rofl:
For those who are interested: http://torrentfreak.com/the-pirate-bay-trial-first-day-in-court/

If you want to follow the trial live, what better way than through Twitter?
http://search.twitter.com/search?q=%23spectrial

Some excerpts:

meanwhile Rick Falkvinge of the Pirate Party couldn’t resist accessing The Pirate Bay site from his seat in the courtroom.

Following the lunch break, proceedings continued with prosecutor Håkan Roswall failing to start up his computer. For several minutes, listeners of the live audio could hear mouse-clicks as Roswall, who earlier claimed to be an expert on computer crimes, tried to get his PowerPoint presentation on the screen. He was eventually ordered by the judge to stick to his papers and continue.

During the afternoon, Peter Sunde sent a message: “How the hell did they think this was going to be something else than EPIC FAIL for the prosecution? We’re winning so hard.” Peter points out that the prosecutor is having difficulty working out the difference between megabits and megabytes.

Regardless of your opinion on the Pirate Bay, you can't deny this is pretty entertaining stuff. :biggrin:
They can't stop piracy unless they destroy computers.

Reply 37
theronkinator
They can't stop piracy unless they destroy computers

Or further the mind-rape that is DRM.
Reply 38
What's the Pirate Bay? :-S
Oogamy
Or further the mind-rape that is DRM.

DRM doesn't stop anything but the consumer though.

Latest