The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
lolololol, epic fail for the prosectution, that however does not dictate the way the case will swing. it all comes down to if the judge thinks that forwarding people to illegal sharing is initself illegal. as much as the prosecutor got lolpwnt by the two founders, the judge can still decide in favour of the prosecution.
Reply 41
theronkinator
Touché.
Lol, I say good for them for making so much money from their website.
I've added a link to the twitter feeds, so you can follow the trial live if you want.

Apparently the prosecutors have downgraded their claims from "distributing copyrighted material" to "aiding in the creation of torrent files".
Have you read the e-mails on TPB website? Some of them are hilarious.
And fair point to them - their defence is that they're a Swedish company and so are not bound by any other US laws. Plus, they don't host the files, so they're not breaking the law, are they?
Reply 46
It was obvious from the word go that TPB won't lose.
chernij
Have you read the e-mails on TPB website? Some of them are hilarious.
And fair point to them - their defence is that they're a Swedish company and so are not bound by any other US laws. Plus, they don't host the files, so they're not breaking the law, are they?

EU law meant that copywright infringement became illegal in 2005 (IIRC) - but yes, they don't host any copywrighted material themselves. If they did, they would be dead in the water.
mazza558
I've added a link to the twitter feeds, so you can follow the trial live if you want.

Apparently the prosecutors have downgraded their claims from "distributing copyrighted material" to "aiding in the creation of torrent files".

Haha.
EPIC FAIL.
This whole thing is stupid.
Reply 50
funnily enough i got a letter from davenport and lynnes solicitors, they threatened me with a £500 fine as i downloaded one game from piratebay. it seems (according to the citizens advice bureau) however that if you ignore them, they cannot actually do anything apart from sending these letters. if you're going to frequently use piratebay, do it whilst you still can, even if piratebay do win, external companies may attempt to use legal action against you!
mazza558
EU law meant that copywright infringement became illegal in 2005 (IIRC) - but yes, they don't host any copywrighted material themselves. If they did, they would be dead in the water.

Good point.
So if they're aiding in the creation of torrent files now, then they can't be charged by that. People who host the actual files create the torrents on their computer, and simply upload them to TPB, so TPB isn't creating them.
MichaelG
funnily enough i got a letter from davenport and lynnes solicitors, they threatened me with a £500 fine as i downloaded one game from piratebay. it seems (according to the citizens advice bureau) however that if you ignore them, they cannot actually do anything apart from sending these letters. if you're going to frequently use piratebay, do it whilst you still can, even if piratebay do win, external companies may attempt to use legal action against you!

Can you not offer to pay the price of the game instead? Or do they demand compensation because they'd rather have had the money before they needed it (before the credit crunch) instead of during it?

How did they find out about it?
I don't use torrents anymore, but back in the day TPB was awesome, I did a big feature on it in my ICT coursework presentation.

chernij
Can you not offer to pay the price of the game instead? Or do they demand compensation because they'd rather have had the money before they needed it (before the credit crunch) instead of during it?

How did they find out about it?

Torrents are easy to catch with, everyone can see a list of everyone using them, also due to the uploading with torrents that's why you get the big fine, for 'sharing' it with others, not just downlaoding it.
theronkinator
I don't use torrents anymore, but back in the day TPB was awesome, I did a big feature on it in my ICT coursework presentation.

Torrents are easy to catch with, everyone can see a list of everyone using them, also due to the uploading with torrents that's why you get the big fine, for 'sharing' it with others, not just downlaoding it.

Oh yeh course, the IP peers list! :eek3:
OK fair point, thanks for pointing it out.
Reply 55
vin
oh:eek: they avoided anything like that for so long

actually, they've had many court cases =]

theronkinator

TPB drop in fake IP's, so that the snooper companies working to gather the IP's have invalid evidence. Thus if 0.0001% of the IP's are fake, it's still enough to screw over any claims against individuals. Unfortunately this only works at certain stages of the process
chernij
Oh yeh course, the IP peers list! :eek3:
OK fair point, thanks for pointing it out.

Obviously it wasn't you though, someone hacked your wireless network, WEP's not very secure afterall.....

Pirate bays been got before, does no-one else remember when the servers got raided by police, they had to give them back though and piratebay uploaded the cctv footage.

A good documentary about it all:
http://www.stealthisfilm.com
theronkinator
Obviously it wasn't you though, someone hacked your wireless network, WEP's not very secure afterall.....

Pirate bays been got before, does no-one else remember when the servers got raided by police, they had to give them back though and piratebay uploaded the cctv footage.

A good documentary about it all:
http://www.stealthisfilm.com

That's the thing though, I use WPA-2 :ashamed:
Lol
I only used TPB once, years ago, for a movie that I wasn't legally allowed to watch (too young), but my parents gave me permission :smile:
So it was all THEM
:biggrin:
I used to use it a fair bit, now I only use it for downloading Heroes Unmasked once a week, as BBC won't put it on iPlayer. They claim they don't own the rights to it, when it say's produced by the BBC at the end of it, yet heroes is produced by NBC and they put that on just fine.
theronkinator
I used to use it a fair bit, now I only use it for downloading Heroes Unmasked once a week, as BBC won't put it on iPlayer. They claim they don't own the rights to it, when it say's produced by the BBC at the end of it, yet heroes is produced by NBC and they put that on just fine.

Heroes unmasked has been on? :eek:
I used another website to download, with rapidshare, the heroes episodes from Volume 4: Fugitives.
I didn't think it was on over here yet.

Also, thanks for the documentary link. Looks really interesting; downloading now.

Latest