The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

chernij
Heroes unmasked has been on? :eek:
I used another website to download, with rapidshare, the heroes episodes from Volume 4: Fugitives.
I didn't think it was on over here yet.

Also, thanks for the documentary link. Looks really interesting; downloading now.

Nah I use rapidshare to get it aswell, I mean I download Heroes Unmasked once it's aired on BBC2, which is next monday when it starts again here.
Reply 61
chernij
Can you not offer to pay the price of the game instead? Or do they demand compensation because they'd rather have had the money before they needed it (before the credit crunch) instead of during it?

How did they find out about it?

You have to be cautious when talking to solicitors, if i offer to pay the price of the game they will use that against me by saying that i was admitting to having the game in the first place. If i were you, i wouldnt be so naive to think that they are an honest group of solicitors - all they want is the money. :frown:

they found out about it because all your actions are tracked on the internet; this 'solicitor' firm managed to get a high court order to force the Internet service provider (in my case tiscali) to give my information to them.

think of the firm as not quite a con group, but they use threatening and intimidating legal 'action' to force people to pay up. We will however not be paying as if they actually take the case to court they will most likely lose.
theronkinator
Nah I use rapidshare to get it aswell, I mean I download Heroes Unmasked once it's aired on BBC2, which is next monday when it starts again here.

Next Monday :eek:
So that's when the new Heroes season starts?
That's 4 weeks behind America; dreadful that, seeing as they want to battle piracy; Season 3 started only 1 week later...
MichaelG
You have to be cautious when talking to solicitors, if i offer to pay the price of the game they will use that against me by saying that i was admitting to having the game in the first place. If i were you, i wouldnt be so naive to think that they are an honest group of solicitors - all they want is the money. :frown:

they found out about it because all your actions are tracked on the internet; this 'solicitor' firm managed to get a high court order to force the Internet service provider (in my case tiscali) to give my information to them.

think of the firm as not quite a con group, but they use threatening and intimidating legal 'action' to force people to pay up. We will however not be paying as if they actually take the case to court they will most likely lose.

Ahhh OK then... thanks for that!
My ISP is Carphone Warehouse (AOL). Do you think they pass on info?
Will this ever blow over? How can it possibly make financial sense for record companies to keep going after sites they KNOW they can't beat?

Is it still technically illegal to tape off the radio if you don't destroy it or erase it after a certain time?

I can't see much coming of this.

My mate got a letter off Virgin the other night telling him they knew he had downloaded a film and what time and if he did it again they would look into cutting his broadband capacity.

This is the only way I can see it stopping, through the ISPs themselves.
chernij
Next Monday :eek:
So that's when the new Heroes season starts?
That's 4 weeks behind America; dreadful that, seeing as they want to battle piracy; Season 3 started only 1 week later...

Double episode though, then they'll only be two weeks behind, they were two weeks behind last series aswell, and then america skipped a week for an election thing and the BBC became one week behind.

chernij

All ISP's have to if they get a court order. I'm on talk talk and I know they have said they will not monitor people at all and will only give information if someone else catches you and forces them to, I presume AOL is the same.
9 Liverpool's Number
Will this ever blow over? How can it possibly make financial sense for record companies to keep going after sites they KNOW they can't beat?

Is it still technically illegal to tape off the radio if you don't destroy it or erase it after a certain time?

I can't see much coming of this.

My mate got a letter off Virgin the other night telling him they knew he had downloaded a film and what time and if he did it again they would look into cutting his broadband capacity.

This is the only way I can see it stopping, through the ISPs themselves.

It probably still is illegal.
Like it's still technically illegal to put a CD onto iTunes, is it not? You are illegally copying the music files.

Anyway, Virgin are known to have been quite a tight ISP when it comes to downloading illegal things...
Reply 67
Oogamy
Or further the mind-rape that is DRM.

All DRM does is encourage people to crack it, and pirate more.

These profits that TPB have made, how does that form part of the grounds for prosecution (at least that's what the article seems to be suggesting)? The money comes from donations,merchandise and advertising, nothing illegal there.

The Pirate Bay has backup servers in several locations all over the world. They've raided TPB and it has been taken offline but it didn't last. IIRC, an alternate tracker was available whilst the site was offline so any torrent files using TPB's tracker could continue to be used. Whatever the outcome of the case, they're not going to sink the ship.
Hasan
No way! This must not happen!! :eek3:

Not that I've ever used that website before :ninja:

:ditto:...:ninja:
Reply 69
TPB will never sink, they will only pop up some place else in the world
Reply 70
Well yeah to be honest. Piracy makes products more expensive as they sell less. It's a vicious circle. I don't care about music so much as the artists make far more by touring, but games and films people spend millions on, and loads of time and hard work and it's the only source of income.
Reply 71
Smtn
actually, they've had many court cases =]

ah didnt know that, thought it was just many many threats
The trial is over for today apparently.
Reply 73
vin
ah didnt know that, thought it was just many many threats

thinking about it, you could be right.
Reply 74
Yuffie
Well yeah to be honest. Piracy makes products more expensive as they sell less. It's a vicious circle. I don't care about music so much as the artists make far more by touring, but games and films people spend millions on, and loads of time and hard work and it's the only source of income.

Huh? What kind of company raises the price of products because they sell less? That creates more of a problem rather than a solution. If products were cheaper there would be significantly less piracy. It may take longer to make a profit on products, but it would still get there. Cheaper products means people that don't like the idea of piracy, but wouldn't usually be able to afford to buy it, are more likely to consider buying it, as are people that would pirate it because they think it's not worth the money.
Reply 75
hobo06
Huh? What kind of company raises the price of products because they sell less? That creates more of a problem rather than a solution. If products were cheaper there would be significantly less piracy. It may take longer to make a profit on products, but it would still get there. Cheaper products means people that don't like the idea of piracy, but wouldn't usually be able to afford to buy it, are more likely to consider buying it, as are people that would pirate it because they think it's not worth the money.

I read it in a games magazine once...
Apparently half the charges have been dropped against Pirate Bay due to insufficent evidence. Plus the lawyers don't have a clue about how Bittorrent and everything works. The only charges left are under ‘assisting making available’

It sounds like the Prosecution are just beating themselves.
Reply 77
chernij

its difficult to say, say hypthetically you downloaded a game made by EA. if contact was made between EA and solicitors about who has downloaded game X then in all possibility you could get this threatening sort of letter. although i wouldnt panic too much though, the likelihood of it happening is minimal!
Reply 78
They'll shut down TPB, but there will be new sites emerging, there are already millions of alternatives...
Reply 79
>_> Should I stop using TPB now? Mininova it is.

Latest