• 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    18 for a credit card
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I think it's 16 for a debit card. Thats when I got mine anyway
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Is it unusual for 18 year olds to have credit cards?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You can get a debit card with your normal bank account in your early teens. I know i had one when i was about 14-15 and i knew people younger that had them. It was a Solo card though.

You can get student credit cards at age 18 so i'm assuming you could get any credit card at 18.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    18 for a credit card
    I am not aware of any legal limit for a debit cards and i think that it is up to banks to decide but you can certainly get one at around 14 (I did)
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shmex)
    Is it unusual for 18 year olds to have credit cards?
    Well depends. My friends that have just turned 18 don't have one but my friends that are at uni do...
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I got my debit card when i was 13 - it was a Visa Electron.

Credit cards = 18.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    credit card = 18
    but you don't have to get one
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    91...*you can get it at any age*...:rolleyes:

The minimum age is 18...:tongue:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't advise credit cards. Mega debt mega quick if you aren't careful.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *AllyBaba)
    I think it's 16 for a debit card. Thats when I got mine anyway
    It was 11 for a debit card if any banks still offer them at that low an age now. If not its at least 13 years old that they will give you one.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't reccomend getting one..

its a trap to make you another consumerist debt ridden slave...
    • 6 followers

18, and you can get them with a lot if not all student accounts, which is useful when your bank repeatedly forgets to put an overdraft onto your main student account :rolleyes:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flipshot)
    It was 11 for a debit card if any banks still offer them at that low an age now. If not its at least 13 years old that they will give you one.
    Yeah I've had like a card thing since I was about 11. I didn't get a card where I could buy things over the internet and use them in shops etc till I was 16 though.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    With debit cards it depends on the bank.

Llyods give them out to people at the age of 11. There was a big fuss over it last year. Nationwide don't until you are 16. Natwest give you one as soon as you open an account that allows one, they give Solo's to under 18's.

Credit cards are 18, if you go to uni and open a student account the banks will throw them at you. I never took one on principle, I never want a credit card.

Credit cards are also subject to credit checks, if you have a poor credit rating you won't be able to get a credit card.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    18 for a credit card, doesn't mean you can just go into your bank and get one though.

times have changed and banks are lending a lot less.

you might have to upgrade your account to a normal current account (under 18s are not normal) keep in credit for a while then review the situation again.

i work at lloyds tsb, and i would advise getting one. especially in these ****** times, who knows what companies are next going to go bust? atleast you;re insured.

just pay you're bill off every month and you won't be charged any interest

hope that helps x
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by :)x)
    18 for a credit card, doesn't mean you can just go into your bank and get one though.

times have changed and banks are lending a lot less.

you might have to upgrade your account to a normal current account (under 18s are not normal) keep in credit for a while then review the situation again.

i work at lloyds tsb, and i would advise getting one. especially in these ****** times, who knows what companies are next going to go bust? atleast you;re insured.

just pay you're bill off every month and you won't be charged any interest

hope that helps x
    so true - you get alot more cover if you pay with a credit card what i do is each time i spend on my card i transfer that amount of money into my e-savings so my bill is simple to pay
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You can get your own debit cards from certain banks from the age of 10, but your parents will still need to be on the account (albeit without access).
    For a credit card, you can get an in-house credit card from any bank from 18 - for the platinum cards and other ones with added benefits, you will need to be +18 but have decent income.

I work for Yorkshire Bank and i'd recommend using your credit card for any purchases and then just paying the bill as soon as you can view it on internet banking, that way you have the cover and its interest free!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    18 is the age limit for credit cards, but only if you have a good enough credit rating. In these times, it's unlikely most 18 year olds will be able to get a card, without some help. For example, I have a credit card with HSBC because my mum knows the people who work in the local branch, and so they were willing to give me a low-level (£500) card which helped me build up some credit rating. This credit rating means I could get another low-level credit card from Nationwide, but because it's a joint account with my mum, I can get one with a much higher limit, simply because she's my guarantor.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: February 18, 2009
New on TSR

What are your A-level predictions?

Join our AS and A2 results day chat thread

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.