The Student Room Group

how difficult is A-level maths?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
To all the people who have already sat AS Maths papers, are the questions basically at the difficulty level presented in the Mixed Exercises (particularly Edexcel, not sure what its like for other examboards)?
Reply 41
I'm finding AS maths fine so far.

I got 93% in my Stats Mock only to make stupid mistakes in the actual exam (still awaiting results)

And I got 100% in Core 1 Mock.

And I'm nothing special at maths and that was just with 2 or 3 hours revision for each, so I reckon with the extra lessons (5 a week), you'll find it makes a difference and you should cope with AS fine. I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if you put in some effort if you do get an A in AS.

Good luck! :yes:
Reply 42
I found AS pretty easy once I started paying attention, and A2 doable with revision not-particularly-heavy revision starting around a week before the exam (I got a fairly comfortable B overall). At GCSE I got an A from paying attention in class with very little revision, if that helps you gauge how difficult different people find it.
AG27
To all the people who have already sat AS Maths papers, are the questions basically at the difficulty level presented in the Mixed Exercises (particularly Edexcel, not sure what its like for other examboards)?

Oh yeah i remember those mixed excercise questions. Doing those and past papers guarantees you a decent grade.
Reply 44
it is fine, but i think you have to really enjoy maths..that sounds a bit geeky...but most my friends did not like math in GCSE but took it for a level and they hate it even more now.
Out of the ASs I'm taking (maths, physics, chemistry, psychology), I'd say maths is my second-hardest (after chemistry). But even though it's not the subject I find hardest, it's the subject I'm doing worst in! At GCSE I got an A, but I don't think I'll get any higher than a C at AS.

I'm finding C2 easier than C1 so far. I found M1 quite easy at first, but not for long!
I got a B at GCSE

For me C1 was very easy, C2 was a bit trickier - still easy though. M1 was harder than C1 or C2.

So far at A2;

C3 was easy, M2 was easy(Apart from a few little sections). (Completed both).

C4 has been easy so far, although the integration can get very tricky. (By substitution)

Good luck if you decide to take it, I do at least 2 hours work for maths each day, practicing every type of question.

I am aiming for an A come August. With hard work and determination you should get an A/B no problem.
I know this is slightly off-topic but not worth making a thread over: does anyone know a good book (better if you've used it) for AQA M1? I am finding some of the content slightly confusing.
Thanks. :smile:
Reply 48
Original post by jaz_jaz
just watch out for the bitch; mechanics. :rant:

mechanics is by far the most straight forward module.. it might be hard and tedious but it makes more sense and there is not a lot of complicated stuff going on behind the calculations whereas in core maths there are many ways to answer the questions and there's lots of complicated maths going on behind it
Original post by Kaneda
mechanics is by far the most straight forward module.. it might be hard and tedious but it makes more sense and there is not a lot of complicated stuff going on behind the calculations whereas in core maths there are many ways to answer the questions and there's lots of complicated maths going on behind it

The person you qouted has probably graduated from uni now! This is quite an old thread you managed to dig up. lol
Reply 50
Original post by thatitootoo
The person you qouted has probably graduated from uni now! This is quite an old thread you managed to dig up. lol

oh god! haha

Should have looked at the time..
AS was so easy for me, I loved every second of it. It gave me so much happiness Oh my god! A2 was even better, I came out with an A*! It was the most easiest thing I've ever done in my life! If you don't get an A* good luck getting to Uni Hahahahaha

Quick Reply

Latest